JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Druid Shapeshifting Frequency
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Druid Shapeshifting Frequency
    GreySage

Tue May 05, 2020 9:13 am  
    Druid Shapeshifting Frequency

Upon reaching 7th lvl, druids can shift into animal form once per day (but three different animal categories).

Splitting hairs (or fins, fur, and feathers, I guess), but does that mean-

1) One form per 24 hours?
    Meaning that if a druid shifts into a hawk, that druid must wait 24 hrs to assume bird form again?

OR

2) One form per day, as in day/night cycle counting as a 'day?'
    Meaning that a hawk-shifted druid can rest overnight after assuming bird-form and become a bird again the following morning when the sun rises?

What's the consensus on this?

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue May 05, 2020 9:50 am  

It really is up to you what you want to do. As it really isn't an overly powerful ability, I'd give it a bit of leeway and say one form per day as timed not by a chronograph, but by the rising of the sun. Yes, that means a druid could shapeshift at night and return to regular form prior to sunrise, and then do it again immediately after sunrise, which is less than 24 hours, but happens during two different courses of "natural time." I am perfectly okay with nature governing druid abilities rather than Chronomancers. Wink

Also, you [Lanthorn] can see your PMs by clicking on your name at the top left where it says "Welcome Lanthorn." That will take you to your account page. From there, click on the square "Messages" icon.

Last edited by Cebrion on Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Tue May 05, 2020 9:02 pm  

I agree with Cebrion.

There are other reasons, as well. Namely, it will be more of an accounting headache to keep track of chronological time if the PC is in the middle of a days long adventure. Additionally, if you base it on 24 hours on the clock, your druid will necessarily lose time every 24 hours. It will be nearly impossible for him to switch at exactly the same time every day, mostly because he isn't likely to need to do so at exactly the same time every day. It just doesn't make a lot of practical sense to base the use of the power on an exact 24 hours since the last time it was used.

SirXaris

Thu May 07, 2020 3:47 am  

My first 2e character was a druid so I have many fond memories of shapechanging....and a goodberry jam cottage industry.

In agreement with Cebrion and SirXaris, I think it's easier to go with sunrise as the start of a new day from a thematic as well as logistical stand point.

You could argue that the shapeshifting takes a toll on the druid's body that requires a full 24 hours to recuperate enough to change again but in that example it's easy enough to say the rising of the sun is enough to rejuvenate the druid's shifted-out body ... because druid magic.
    GreySage

Fri May 08, 2020 7:54 am  

I appreciate the feedback as well as the logic behind the reasoning of your answers.

thank you all,

Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:13 am  

Any "once per day" ability should be based on a day/night cycle or midnight-to-midnight cycle, mostly for simplicity's sake. That way you don't have to track the time of use. It would also penalize a player who saved the ability for late in the day if they had to wait 24 hours to use it again.

Jeff
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: