JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - 3e+ materials
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition
    3e+ materials
    Novice

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:00 pm  
    3e+ materials

Has anyone developed any kind of rubric for converting 3e+ materials to 1 and 2e formats? Anything from a set of equations to a simple cheat sheet that explains what all those new-fangled terms mean so us 1e grognards can reach?
    CF Admin

Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:19 pm  

Wizards published a conversion manual for 2e to 3.0 which offers some insights into how they approached the conversion process, and highlights some of the changes in nomenclatures, rules, etc.

It was available free on the Wizards web site for a long time, but you can still download it from the Internet Archive @ https://web.archive.org/web/20020209135919/http://www.wizards.com/dnd/DnD_CYC_intro.asp

Allan.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:40 am  

Most excellent!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:50 pm  

Just to chime in - I've taken a crack at translating some of the 3E Dungeon Magazine modules back to 1E-2E format for personal use. Ditto with a fan module posted here on CF.

I think the trickiest part is converting new classes (especially prestige classes) and feats. Once you get a feel for it though, it becomes easier as you go along.

One thing I have done is keep a record of the magical items and monsters I've converted for use in later backwards-translation efforts. Helps avoid wasting time by unintentionally re-inventing the wheel, so to speak. I've also come up with a reasonably accurate Armor Class translation from 3E to the 1E/2E system.

If you want any input, PM me and I'll do my best to help out.

Cheers!

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:26 pm  

Torque-Nomar, your thread completely reminded me that I'd mentioned in a different thread somewhere in the 2e board about some monsters I'd converted from 3e into 1e/2e.

I'm not sure if it's of any use but I'll add a link to the google doc below. These are by no means accurate but a best attempt (I found XP values and maybe damage values in particular difficult to translate - 3rd edition monster pack a far greater damage punch than in the earlier editions).

https://tinyurl.com/ybg3bnkc

Most of the creatures were relevant to the Savage Tide adventure path I converted to 2e. If anyone has any suggestions regarding these conversions or notices glaring errors please let me know!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: