JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - A particular kind of poisoning in Furyondy
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    A particular kind of poisoning in Furyondy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:41 pm  
    A particular kind of poisoning in Furyondy

Poison is illegal in Furyond, as befits a land ruled by a paladin king. However, there is a particular type of poison involved to prevent marriage alliances that some find too worrying. It is very expensive and only works when one of the parties is close to marriageable age, but slipping one of the parties involved a potion of longevity has resulted in a prospective bride or groom being too young and the engagement must either be put off or broken.

It is rare, both for the rarity of potions of longevity and the expense. The lack of skilled poisoners has also resulted in failed attempts; the most recent attempt was to prevent Braxton, the youngest son of the Dyvers Merchant Carrana from marrying into the DeQuincy-Foxbridge family. Fortunately for them, the treated liquor ended affecting Duke DiRhage. The marriage is still on, but the Duke must once again deal with the urges of being an eighteen year old.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:23 am  

Braxton was all set to get married...

But NOW he's a BABY!

"Look here, see! I was all set to get married, but now I'm a baby!"

This LITTLE guy has the BIGGEST problem EVER!

"The wedding is in a month! You gotta help me!"

Only a party of misfit adventurers can save the day, in...

Wedding Criers

You might just wet your diaper laughing.

I think I have seen this movie. Laughing

Very [cleverly] funny. And disruptive. And not technically poison.

A whole adventure could be set up to undo the effect; similar to Dame Gold wanting adventurers to retrieve an elixir to cure her brother's "lycanthropy." Funny, but not funny, all at the same time. I think quite a few people would be interested in an adventure like this. Happy

Last edited by Cebrion on Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:15 am  

I know I made a comment about the expense of the potion, but I looked at the price of some poisons to compare them.

In the 1st edition DMG, a single dose of Ingestive E is 1000 gp (page 20), the same as the market value for a potion of longevity. In the "Poison: From AA to XX" article in Dragon #32 (reprinted in Best of Dragon #2), a dose of ingested X costs 7500 gp, contact X costs 30000 and contact XX is 45000. Arguably, the merciful poison is a bargain.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:06 am  

I think anyone who uses a potion of longevity as a "poison" to stop a marriage is just nuts.

Take the potion yourself and outlive the bastard.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:52 am  

Theala_Sildorian wrote:
    I think anyone who uses a potion of longevity as a "poison" to stop a marriage is just nuts.

Take the potion yourself and outlive the bastard.

I think you're missing the point of what the poisoning is trying to accomplish. It prevents the alliance between families. That's what's important.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:06 pm  

Yep. Utterly disruptive to an overall power-increasing alliance. Extremely powerful families might have the connections/resources to draw on the most powerful types of magic to remedy the situation, but the less powerful would likely not, and so would have to suffer it.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: