JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Baalphegor, the Artificer of Hell
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Baalphegor, the Artificer of Hell
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:03 pm  
    Baalphegor, the Artificer of Hell

I've been looking at the consorts of the Nine Hells recently and have been putting together some thoughts on them. I'm going with the 1st edition versions because I am not sure how much has been done with them in later editions, and I prefer the 1st edition set up for the archdevils.

Baalphegor is the consort of Mephistopheles and resides in Mephistar on frozen Caina. She is very human in appearance, only with ruby-red eyes, a forked tail, and delicate leathery wings.

Using the 1st edition Monster Manual, Monster Manual 2, and Ed Greenwood's 3 Nine Hells articles in Dragon (75, 76, and 91) as sources, there are 5 named devils with Supra-Genius intelligence. Asmodeus (MM1), Baalphegor (D 76), Gargoth (D91), Mephistopheles (MM2), and Tivitilus (MM2). Of these 5, only Tivitilus and Baalphegor are not arch-devils, and Baalphegor is the only Princess of Hell to have this level of intelligence.

She is noted to have invented many of the strategies and devices used in the Nine Hells, and the main reason Mephistopheles is tolerated by Asmodeus. This was before the Reckoning of Hell, which I favor ignoring. In her list of spell-like powers that she can use once per round, it lists enchant and item and permanency. The only other devil who has those abilities at that frequency is Aramos (Dragon 91), the Resolver of Enchantments and essentially Hell's archmage and who is noted in making many of the plane's magical treasures. I note that he is only listed as having Genius intelligence, putting him one or two points below those rated Supra-Genius.

If we are looking to expand the role of Hell's consorts, then Baalphegor fits into the role of Hell's artificer quite well. It even provides a decent excuse on why she, or her agents, could be found on Oerth; they are gathering materials for one of her creations. In fact, a group of PCs might even be hired to gather or protect some exotic ingredients, only to find that their ultimate employer is Baalphegor!
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:24 pm  

Nice investigating Lareth. I find this really interesting as I've always considered the the 'consorts' of the Archdevils probably more interesting than the diabolic patriarchy and by necessary likely far more scheming. Similarly I tend to favour a 1st edition approach to the Nine Hells.

Bensozia comes to mind as someone who would make an interesting nemesis as I certaily don't buy that quiet obedient wife routine Evil Grin
    GreySage

Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:09 pm  

Note that Baalphegor was the primary villain in "Caermor" in Dungeon #2, which was reprinted in the Dungeons of Despair anthology (1999).

Dungeon #135 gave her a personal guard of erinyes known ironically as the Blessed Angels.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:18 am  

I did take a look at Caermor. I generally like Nigel Findley's work, but this was not a good adventure for AD&D. It is perfectly fine as a Warhammer Fantasy RPG adventure though.

I do think that since the consorts are not really set up as combat encounters, they can be used more creatively and even at lower levels.
    CF Admin

Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:04 pm  
    Re: Baalphegor, the Artificer of Hell

LarethTheBeautiful wrote:
    Using the 1st edition Monster Manual, Monster Manual 2, and Ed Greenwood's 3 Nine Hells articles in Dragon (75, 76, and 91) as sources, there are 5 named devils with Supra-Genius intelligence. Asmodeus (MM1), Baalphegor (D 76), Gargoth (D91), Mephistopheles (MM2), and Tivitilus (MM2). Of these 5, only Tivitilus and Baalphegor are not arch-devils, and Baalphegor is the only Princess of Hell to have this level of intelligence.

Nice analysis!

She is noted to have invented many of the strategies and devices used in the Nine Hells, and the main reason Mephistopheles is tolerated by Asmodeus. [snip] In her list of spell-like powers that she can use once per round, it lists enchant and item and permanency. The only other devil who has those abilities at that frequency is Aramos (Dragon 91), the Resolver of Enchantments and essentially Hell's archmage and who is noted in making many of the plane's magical treasures. I note that he is only listed as having Genius intelligence, putting him one or two points below those rated Supra-Genius.

I always like Armaros, and promoted him to an arch-devil for some campaigns in the past, but I hadn't considered promoting some of the consorts, which is a quite viable option too, as you point out =)

This was before the Reckoning of Hell, which I favor ignoring.

I'm not familiar with this event; got a quick explanation/link?

If we are looking to expand the role of Hell's consorts, then Baalphegor fits into the role of Hell's artificer quite well. It even provides a decent excuse on why she, or her agents, could be found on Oerth; they are gathering materials for one of her creations. In fact, a group of PCs might even be hired to gather or protect some exotic ingredients, only to find that their ultimate employer is Baalphegor!

Agreed all-around. Good work!

Allan.

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:52 pm  

The Reckoning of Hell ended up being the explanation for the changes to the Nine Hells between 1st and 2nd edition. There was going to be a big battle between Baazebul's and Mephistopheles's factions, but the pit fiend leaders of their armies (who were the Dark Eight) betrayed them under the orders from Asmodeus. Geryon and Moloch were out, Tiamat was retroactively never an archdevil, an enhanced pit fiend named Bel overthrew the then-nameless-now-Zauriel, Belial put his daughter in charge but ran things behind the scenes, and the rest of the archdevils took new names/forms except Dispater.

I know that some of the changes to the Hells were also because of the 80s Satanic Panic, but it also ended up feeding the nigh-infallible version of Asmodeus that showed up in the 3.x and later editions.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:25 pm  
    The Reckoning

As for the Reckoning,

I did an article on the subject of The Reckoning way back in 2004 and put a little Greyhawk spin on some of the story. For your reading here on Canonfire, please check it out:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=500&mode=&order=0&thold=0

I liked the series of articles in Dragon Magazine regarding the planes of Hell and its hierarchy. So I put my two cents on trying to reconcile the 1e and 2e versions.

Let me know what you think!

O-D
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:34 am  

Osmund-Davizid,

It is a completely reasonable take on things. However, the Reckoning still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The first is that it puts Asmodeus so far ahead of all the archdevils. He's the most powerful and most intelligent, but this makes the rest of the archdevils look stupid, and they are formidable opponents. The second is that I think the Dark Eight are too involved with Planescape's Blood War, and there is nothing in the world that can make me care about Planescape or the Blood War.

I also find it interesting that despite all official comment that Alexander von Thorn's "The Politics of Hell" (Dragon 28) is unofficial, more and more, Asmodeus has essentially become the biblical Satan. I am less interested in that.
    CF Admin

Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:41 pm  

I also find it interesting that despite all official comment that Alexander von Thorn's "The Politics of Hell" (Dragon 28) is unofficial, more and more, Asmodeus has essentially become the biblical Satan. I am less interested in that.

I love Von Thorn's article, along with Gregory Rihn's "Demonology Made Easy" in TD#20 :D

Allan.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: