Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Adventures and Module location in the Flanaess map
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Adventures and Module location in the Flanaess map
    Forum Moderator

Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:15 pm  
    Adventures and Module location in the Flanaess map

Just in case you did not notice the new Adventures in Greyhawk icon on the left menu, check it out. It shows the location of each "canon" module/adventure placed in Greyhawk.

As usual, when you click on the name, the Zavoda index information pops up on the right column.

For pure fashion, it even shows the cover art of the adventures.

Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:15 am  

This is very nice, Longetalos!

SirXaris

Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:51 am  

Some locations appears to be off, and others appear to be modules that are not Greyhawk-specific.

Among the later is "The Witch of Serpent's Bridge" (Dungeon #95).

Among the former is "The Cradle of Madness" (Dungeon #87)--it should be in Greyhawk City, not around Bissel.

Also, it appears I1 has been placed too far south--I believe it should be in the Xaro Mountains, further north.
    Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:23 am  

Witch of Serpent Bridge has a temple of Kord in it (page 47).

Correct about the start of Cradle of Madness. It will be moved over. (confusion was from the first sentence of the dungeon adventure that talked about Hookhill).

I1 says it is located in mountains south of the Pelisso swamps. Will move it further north.

Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:03 am  

Longetalos wrote:
    Witch of Serpent Bridge has a temple of Kord in it (page 47).

It does, but it was written at a time when many GH gods were considered "generic" and could be used in any setting. Furthermore, there are no Greyhawk-specific locations.

I can think of at least three Dungeon adventures that didn't make the map but arguably have more GH content: "The Seventh Arm" in #88 (nominally generic, a player handout lists a Common Year date); "provincial Prior Cause" in #96 (set in Ratik, IIRC, but ignores establish canon--the culture of the Thillronian is depicted as similar to medieval France); & "Totentanz" in #90 (nominally set in Highvale, but also ignore any established canon--I think the author of this & PPC just looked at the map in the D&D Gazetteer picked a spot).
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:03 am  

One that you might want to add is Dungeon #84's "The Dying of the Light." IIRC, it's set near the Lortmils.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:06 am  

How about Dockalong/Wedding Bells in Dragon #89?
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=71937
    Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:06 pm  

Adding Dying of the Light and Wedding bells.

Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:35 pm  

Maybe the Nebo Valley, Laruska, and Buzhemni from "Armistace" in Dungeon #84?

Oh, and Dockalong is in Dungeon #89, not Dragon #89, of course.
    Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:19 pm  

Armistice from Dungeon #84 is already there.

Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:29 pm  

What a great resource! Thank you so much, Longetalos!

Off the top of my head, here are a few scenarios I noticed were missing from the map, in case you are able/willing to add them:

. L3 - Deep Dwarven Delve (in the Lendore Isles) - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/111269/L3-Deep-Dwarven-Delve-1e

. A0 - Danger at Darkshelf Quarry (Nyrond-based prequel to the Slavers series) - https://greyhawk.fandom.com/wiki/Against_the_Slave_Lords

. I2 - Tomb of the Lizard King (Keoland on the edge of the Hool Marshes) - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17048/I2-Tomb-of-the-Lizard-King-1e

. I7 - Baltron's Beacon (Hool Marshes) - https://greyhawk.fandom.com/wiki/Against_the_Slave_Lords
    Forum Moderator

Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:30 pm  

Good catches, will try to add them in shortly.

Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:05 am  

Longetalos wrote:
    Armistice from Dungeon #84 is already there.

-Oops! My excuse will be that I missed it because I would have expected it slightly to the NW...
    Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:11 am  

TwiceBorn: Modules added and placed. Thanks for the addition.

Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:58 am  

Is there a way to zoom in on this map? The red button on the left says No Zoom when you hover over it but I don't see any way to zoom in.

Great work BTW.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:34 pm  

I love this. Its Awesome.

I didn't see B1 In Search of the Unknown - suggested to be in Tehn or the Pale or Ratik, but I think Just about everybody prefers Ratik.

I did see B4 The Lost City, which could of course be set in Greyhawk but isn't officially recommended or intended to be. If you include it you really could include all the unspecific adventures.

Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:57 pm  

We are working on a zoom function that won't mess around with placing the modules.

Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:18 pm  

We are trying to come up with a scheme that would allow us to place modules that could fit in Greyhawk but do not specifically have Greyhawk Lore in them. We want the user to be able to somehow filter between the two views. We have not figured out the best way to implement that feature yet.

Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:49 am  

Terrific. If I were to wish for something (and I realize it is greedy of me) it would be to have a function that would allow you to click on the adventure Icon somewhere and get a short summary of what the adventure is about.

Regarding Into the Unknown, I would argue that it is a canon location intended for Greyhawk in the same sense that Tomb of Annihilation is, for example. Both were given several possible location suggestions.

Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:36 am  

Yes we want to implement something where it gives you a summary as well as a place for comments so people can give their feedback on it.

At the moment you should already be able to Vote the number of stars for each module.

Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:24 am  
    Deep Freeze adventure located farther east?

It's been a while since I played the Deep Freeze adventure set in the Theocracy of the Pale, and I can't locate my copy of Dungeon #83, but to the best of my recollection, the adventure's starting location is farther east than the location marked on the map. The asylum where the adventure starts is just below the Rakers, and less than a day's travel from the glacier in the Rakers where the boss fight takes place.
    Forum Moderator

Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:35 pm  

The Adventure starts in Wintershiven and then moves on from there.

Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:40 pm  

My bad
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:40 pm  

These indexes are darn useful, by the way.
    CF Admin

Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:02 pm  

Man, you guys are on a tear!

Thanks for another great contribution. It's great to learn about adventures set in my current region of play that I didn't know existed prior to this new resource.
    GreySage

Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:02 pm  

I am trying to rate some of the modules listed, but I keep getting a message saying I must be logged into Canonfire.com. I am logged in. :)

SirXaris

Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:15 pm  

Will ask Gary to check it out.

Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:21 am  

I've got one more, Longetalos: Axe of the Dwarvish Lords https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17283/Axe-of-the-Dwarvish-Lords-2e

According to the module:

"Within the Flanaess, the area near the city of Haverhill in the Principality of Ulek (or Haverhill itself) will do nicely for the city of Oredeep. In the postwar Flanaess, Haverhill/Oredeep will be an armed camp watching for invasion from the Pomarj [...]

Radruundar is best located far north of Ulek, somewhere in the Yatil Mountains northwest of Exag."

EDIT: And yet another...

There is an adventure in TSR Jam 1999 called "Return of the Pick-Axe," which takes place in the Mines of Azak-Zil (i.e., the Pits of Azak-Zil described in the Greyhawk Adventures hardcover), "along the eastern wing of Abbor Alz, between the Bright Desert and the Nesser River."

https://www.amazon.com/TSR-1999-Advanced-Dungeons-Dragons/dp/0786914459

https://seankreynolds.wordpress.com/2015/01/07/trivia-anecdotes-tsr-jam-1999/

Last edited by TwiceBorn on Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Sage of Canonfire

Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:08 pm  

Looks like there is a bug, working on it....
    Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:18 pm  

Hey all,

We have added Carlos Lising (Casl Entertainment) modules to the GH module map. That is an added 18 adventures located in the Flanaess that you can put your players through.

Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:38 pm  

That's great!

Any chance that you'll also be adding Axe of the Dwarvish Lords and Return of the Pick-Axe in the near future (see my previous post)?

Thanks again for all your work, Rich!
    Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:18 pm  

Will add the Axe of the Dwarvish Lords and the Return of the Pick-Ax to the list.

Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:51 pm  

Two topics
    First

On the location of B1, I see it was placed in the Pale, and that is one of the three locations possible mentioned in the module, (Ratik, The Pale, Tehn) but it really makes the least sense of the three. Rogahn the Fearless and Zelligar built their hidden complex in a wilderness area known as the Caverns of Quasqueton, but there were still some villages around and the pair saved the locals from a barbarian invasion. Later they led an army against these barbarians. Tehn or Ratik are better fits for this story since the Pale is more organized and further south from barbarian lands. You could just move the dot a little to the north into Tehn.

Second
    I think these are missing from the list:

WGH 2, The Temple of the Sun by Bill Silvey
    WGH 3, Into the Howling Hills By William Silvey
    WGH 4, Tombs of the Howling Hills By William Silvey
    WGH 5, Lords of the Howling Hills By William Silvey

DD1: Swords Against Thievery by Bill Silvey
    DD2 Stealing the Night Away by Bill Silvey

RR01 Suel Imperium: Age of Glory by Randy Richards

Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:28 am  

In the 3.5 module Red Hand of Doom, James Jacobs writes:

"For those of you who play in the Greyhawk campaign setting, we recommend placing Elsir Vale in the borderlands between Sterich, Geoff, and Gran March, or possibly in the eastern marches of Nyrond. You'll need to do a little more work to make the adventure fit, but all you really need is a region of mountains or hills in which an evil horde can arise, and a relatively remote and lightly settled frontier nearby for the horde to menace."

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/28797/Red-Hand-of-Doom-3e

EDIT:

DA3 - City of the Gods is located in Blackmoor.
    https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17132/DA3-City-of-the-Gods-Basic

DA1 - Adventures in Blackmoor and DA4 - Duchy of Ten don't seem to fit into the WoG as well as DA2 (Temple of the Frog) and DA3 do.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17125/DA1-Adventures-in-Blackmoor-Basic
    https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17135/DA4-The-Duchy-of-Ten-Basic

Dave Arneson's Dungeons of Castle Blackmoor would probably work in the WoG.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/51492/The-Dungeons-of-Castle-Blackmoor

The other Blackmoor material published by Zeitgeist Games would require alot more work to adapt to Greyhawk (perhaps set in an era long ago to account for the different geography and neighbouring kingdoms?). I haven't looked at them too closely, but here's the catalogue:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/2236/Zeitgeist-Games

EDIT 2:

Here's a link showing how the Blackmoor material Arneson published via Zeitgeist Games (including DA4, the Duchy of Ten) actually can be fitted to the Darlene map, in an earlier age: https://boggswood.blogspot.com/2019/09/mapping-greyhawk-on-blackmoor.html
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:42 am  

Thanks for the shout-out to my blog Twiceborn. Smile I would point out that the TSR Blackmoor adventure Temple of the Frog is already on the map. City of the Gods isn't though, and should be. (Adventures in Blackmoor and Duchy of Ten probably shouldn't be as they are too Mystara focused)

I think you have a good point about the Zeitgeist Games ones, but really the only new adventure was RedWood Scar and I suppose the Blackmoor Dungeon could go there too. The other two from ZG (TotF and CoG) would be located at the same place as the DA adventures.

Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:48 pm  

Aldarron wrote:
    Thanks for the shout-out to my blog Twiceborn. Smile I would point out that the TSR Blackmoor adventure Temple of the Frog is already on the map.

My pleasure! I only "discovered" your blog yesterday and was impressed by the wealth of lore and insightful analysis I found there. I'm slowly making my way through the various articles you've published over the years, and look forward to your future posts.

And yes, I knew that DA2 was already on the map, which is why I focused my comments on DA1, DA3 and DA4. That said, your points regarding those modules and the Zeitgeist material are valid, and you unquestionably know/have read more about Blackmoor than I.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:15 am  

Oh! Gaxmoor. Surely that should be on the map?

Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:57 am  

Totally didn't spot that this was a sticky thread so re-posting this where it actually belongs;

Firstly, thanks for the hard work gone into the Adventures in Greyhawk section, it's a great resource.

I've noticed that a couple of the Dungeon adventures listed don't have specific locations mentioned so I was wondering how their locations on the map were reached?

For example, Evil Unearthed in Dungeon #82 has references to Hextor so is obviously meant for Greyhawk but beyond the name of the village has no further details. The Adventures in Greyhawk map places the adventure by the Bonewood. How was this decision reached out of interest?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:35 pm  

Wolfling wrote:

I've noticed that a couple of the Dungeon adventures listed don't have specific locations mentioned so I was wondering how their locations on the map were reached?

For example, Evil Unearthed in Dungeon #82 has references to Hextor so is obviously meant for Greyhawk but beyond the name of the village has no further details. The Adventures in Greyhawk map places the adventure by the Bonewood. How was this decision reached out of interest?

I submitted an article many years ago that located that adventure in the southern Lorridges, near the "border" between Gran March and Bissel.

Woe is me that my then head-canon did not earn a spot on the map.

Not that my article was brilliant or worthy of being imposed on everyone else or anything (I freely admit, it wasn't)...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:33 pm  
    Gaxmoor

Just came across this quote from Gary on the location of Gaxmoor in the Flanaess:

"I believe that the best place for the area to be is somewhere on the borderlands of the Great Kingdom, exact location up to the DM, but I should think east and south somewhere."

That is from this thread:
    http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=23153&start=90

Perhaps that puts Gaxmoor in the Torrich/Nulbish general area?

Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:58 am  

Another adventure that likely qualifies as Greyhawk is Dungeon #128's "Shut In," by James Lafond Sutter & F. Wesley Schneider.

The adventure takes place in an unnamed city in the home of a declining noble family called the Dromdals.

The adventure mentions that the patriarch of the family is "away," supposedly gone "on an extended constitutional to a Dromdal holding in a warmer clime" (he's actually been murdered).

What makes this a Greyhawk adventure? See Schneider & Sutter's "Savage Tidings" article Dragon #349. Page 78 mentions a place called "Dromdal Plantations" outside of Sasserine. Presumably, this is the "Dromdal holding in a warmer clime" mentioned in "Shut In."

As for which city "Shut In" should be placed, clues are sparse. It's likely in a more temperate climate, so it's almost certainly not in Sasserine, Cauldron, or any other location with a warm climate. Another clue is that the unnamed city has a "Swan Street." The city is also likely less than 200 years old, as the Dromdals are one of its "oldest" families in town, but have only lived there "over a century."
    GreySage

Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:37 am  

It appears that none of the three adventures in the Canonfire! Chronicles are listed on the map. Those are all, obviously, Greyhawk adventures.

SirXaris

Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:35 pm  

Huge oversight. Send their locations and we'll put them on.
    Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:49 am  

For the modules that did not have specific locations mentioned, we did our best to find a suitable spot. As everything in Greyhawk, if you don't like something, change it :)

Please be patient with delays for any new additions, we are working on a bunch of new initiatives and trying to get those up and running so minor tweaks to older stuff is getting put on the back-burner.

Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:27 am  

Nice post
    Novice

Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:50 am  

Hi Guys!
    I got into the map page (http://www.canonfire.com/cf/ghadventures.php) after a while, I saw that the page is no more interactive; I mean, just a couple of months ago the behaviour was: the mouse overlaps one red dot and the card of the modules appears, now it doesn't.
    I tried with several browsers and the problem is there in all cases.
    Btw, thanks for you beautiful work guys!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:58 am  

Hall of the Fire Giant King is in the wrong location. It should be much further South. Same for D1 - 3.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:17 pm  
    Re: Adventures and Module location in the Flanaess map

Longetalos wrote:
    Just in case you did not notice the new Adventures in Greyhawk icon on the left menu, check it out. It shows the location of each "canon" module/adventure placed in Greyhawk.

As usual, when you click on the name, the Zavoda index information pops up on the right column.

For pure fashion, it even shows the cover art of the adventures.
    You can refer to the latest and free gaming applications at apktome, a diverse game world that helps players have a great time entertainment.

That's fantastic news! I'm thrilled to hear about the new Adventures in Greyhawk icon on the left menu. It's a great addition that allows us to easily explore the locations of each canon module and adventure within the world of Greyhawk. I love that when we click on a specific adventure's name, the Zavoda index information pops up on the right column. This feature provides us with valuable details and insights about the adventure, making it easier for us to delve into the story and immerse ourselves in the world of Greyhawk.
    And let's not forget about the cover art! Having the cover art displayed adds an extra layer of visual appeal and nostalgia to the overall experience. It's like taking a trip down memory lane and rediscovering the iconic artwork that accompanies these adventures. Thank you for sharing this exciting update. I can't wait to explore the Adventures in Greyhawk icon and dive into the rich and captivating world of Greyhawk once again!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: