ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Ring of Five Questions @Greyhawkery
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Ring of Five Questions @Greyhawkery
    Sage of Canonfire

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:53 pm  
    Ring of Five Questions @Greyhawkery

This was fun to do:

https://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2021/01/ring-of-five-questions-round-16.html

What would your answers be?

-Gary
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:19 pm  

Q1. What is your favorite realm or region in the World of Greyhawk setting?

The City of Greyhawk.

Q2. If you could actually be one Greyhawk deity which one would it be?

Vuron

Q3. You have one wish. Which Greyhawk module or accessory would you do over or fix?

The City of Greyhawk Boxed Set

Q4: You're putting together an all-star Greyhawk NPC group. Who is your number one pick?

Bigby

Q5. If you could possess one artifact or relic from Greyhawk lore, which would it be?

The Rod of Seven Parts
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:46 am  

The City of Irongate

Rao - Serene is the way to be :-)

Q3. You have one wish. Which Greyhawk module or accessory would you do over or fix?

I would like to see an 'Ivid the Undying' type accessory done for post-Greyhawk Wars timeline, delving into the Splintered Suns.

Q4: You're putting together an all-star Greyhawk NPC group. Who is your number one pick?

Tenser with all his righteous might.

Q5. If you could possess one artifact or relic from Greyhawk lore, which would it be?

Daern's Instant Fortress
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:56 pm  

Nice!

As for me, it would be as follows:-

The Wild Coast. So many factions/powers facing off across the Woolly Bay & potential for all kinds of shenanigans.

Not sure about this, but Farlanghan the Traveller sounds like a good option.

I'm with you, on WG7. But, assuming you have already bagsied it, I'll go with something out of left field and say Hidden Shrine of Tomaochan. If it was re-written now it could expand so much more on an out of the way area of Greyhawk that wasn't so wrapped up in the aftermath of the Twin Cataclysms & the Suel/Bakluni/Flan/Oeridian conflicts

Oonga! Oonga! Oonga! Oonga! (continue ad infinitum).

The Machine of Lum The Mad. Dials to spin, buttons to press, levers to pull, flashing lights, bells, whistles. It's just an insane activity centre!
    GreySage

Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:16 pm  

Oonga! Now, that's an original answer! Happy

SirXaris

Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:36 am  

Hmm...

All of them. I have highlighted some regions in my campaign, but I don't really have a favorite - they all abound with endless potential.

Q2. If you could actually be one Greyhawk deity, which one would it be?

Somebody: "There are lower planar nasties running amok everywhere! What are we to do?!"
    Some god: "Here."
    Somebody: "What's this now? A shepherd's staff? Are you daft?! What the heck is this supposed to do?!"

A god that gifts mortals with a curled stick that can banish every single lower planar nasty on the prime material plane with a flourish (take a lesson St. Cuthbert, Heironeous, Trithereon, etc.)? And he is the personification of peace, serenity, and reason (who couldn't use a triple dose of that)? Sounds rather pleasant. Yes. I'll be that guy. Besides, I would love to be able to make excellent homemade pastas and sauces too! Happy

[I almost said Norebo, because...um...Wee Jas. Wink That would just be all about the drama though, so I'll take a pass on that one. Priorities, they are in order.]

WG7 Castle Greyhawk. A legendary site, portrayed as if by the writers of National Lampoon. Tragic, and a waste of time/resources/product slot.

Sir Robilar; pre-Rary the Traitor. Anyone whose usual day would include going solo into the Temple of Elemental Evil is probably someone you'd want to take along almost anywhere. Surely never a dull moment, and he comes with a bonus Quij!

The Tripartite Binder/Theoparts. Just to keep it safe. I'm totally not going to use it. Totally. Evil Grin

Last edited by Cebrion on Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:23 am; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:41 am  

Mine were back in Round 8 https://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2020/10/ring-of-five-questions-round-8.html, but here they are:

A1. Verbobonc, particularly the little village an indeterminate number of miles away, where we kicked off our adventuring career. We were poorly mounted, badly equipped and had no large sums of cash...

A2. I haven't really considered them all that much, to be honest, but since you ask, I'll go with Zilchus.
    [Show me the money!]

A3. The City of Greyhawk [boxed set]. I recently pulled that off the shelf after having read through the first few Gord the Rogue novels and thought: "It's not like this at all."

[What I had meant there, is that the boxed set made it seem a lot shinier than what I had envisioned reading the Gord novels.]

A4: Lord Robilar, come on down.

A5. The Mighty Servant of Leuk-O. I mean: what's not to like about a magi-tech mecha?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:54 am  

Cebrion wrote:

A god that gifts mortals with a curled stick...

What, like this one you mean?

https://youtu.be/XfTdnWLMLDA?t=45

:)
    Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:10 pm  

Oonga? Laughing

Loving these replies guys!
    Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:15 pm  

Cebrion wrote:

Sir Robilar; pre-Rary the Traitor. Anyone whose usual day would include going solo into the Temple of Elemental Evil is probably someone you'd want to take along almost anywhere. Surely never a dull moment, and he comes with a bonus Quij!

The Tripartite Binder/Theoparts. Just to keep it safe. I'm totally not going to use it. Totally. Evil Grin

*narrows eyes* You may be the first to pick an item tied to Tharizdun. Hmmm.

Otherwise good call on Robilar! Bonus Quij is a good idea.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:36 pm  

Last edited by Cebrion on Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:32 am; edited 3 times in total
    Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:48 am  

LOL! The most devious plot yet!!!!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:38 pm  

Celene

Ehlonna ... though Mayaheine is a close second.

Oy. This is a tough one. Rary the Traitor.

Larissa Hunter, Magister of Dyvers

Invulnerable Coat of Arnd. I always wanted to get this item as a player, so of course I never did!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:53 am  

JasonZavoda wrote:

Vuron

Is Vuron a deity?

Kwint
    CF Admin

Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:48 pm  

Theala—and others—how would you revise / redo Rary the Traitor?
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:39 pm  

I've always been particularly fascinated by the Grand Duchy of Geoff, showing how old and new cultures might blend together in the modern world.

Rao, as he probably matches my personality the most.

From The Ashes. I'd change it to the version I depicted in my Canonfire writings and Oerth Journal #33. I'm much more interested in a "world half full" where there's still hope and a refusal to give up, rather than a world where everything seems to be on a slow slope to hell.

Mordenkainen. I've always imagined him as a Byronic hero who has plans within plans, and who is constantly plagued by the responsibility he's taken up, and whether he should be doing what he does.

Probably the Crown, Scepter and/or Orb of Might.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:36 am  

Old South Province (including Iron League nations)...

Trithereon - So much freedom and such a heavy burden to deliver it to others...

Doomgrinder - such a disappointment almost anything folks thought it would be would be better than what the adventure presented...

Melf Brightflame - Pre-eminent example of the standard D&D elf...

Kuroth’s Quill - I’m sure that I am the one that can handle infinite wishes for the common good ;-) ...

Kwint
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:03 pm  

kwint wrote:
    I’m sure that I am the one that can handle infinite wishes for the common good ;-) ...

Seems reasonable to me!
    :D
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:02 pm  

I would revise the motives of Rary, and his goals, to better explain his actions.

It really seemed more to me like TSR wanted to do a Bright Desert sourcebook than create a coherent story behind Rary and his actions. The book's treatment of Robilar leaves a LOT to be desired, but the resolution in Expedition to Greyhawk Ruins wasn't satisfying in the least.

What would cause Rary to do what he did that day, and why? What did he hope to accomplish? Why would Robilar remain with him, and not do his own thing? He'd pretty much had it with being a follower ... why follow Rary?

I've been thinking about those questions and the answers for awhile now. But my player reads these pages so I'll have to be cagey for now. Though I hope to write up what I'm running very soon as the Rary storyline in my game is moving forward.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:06 pm  

Furyondy. I like the nobility of the land, contrasted by their hostile neighbors.

I think I am going to go with Boccob for the unlimited power of magic.

This one is simple: Greyhawk Wars. Now you may say that there's nothing wrong with it, but it kicked off products that took the better part of 20 years to fix. Best to cut it off at the root.

I think I would have an evil team, unlike most everyone else. I need a face man, and who works better than the dark hope of Chaotic Evil, Lareth the Beautiful? Give me the pretty ones!

Iggwilv is my number two pick.

I'll take the Crook of Rao so nobody can foil the plans of my NPC group.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:44 pm  

The City of Greyhawk.

Tritherion

The City of Greyhawk Boxed Set

Tenser

Codex of the Infinite Planes
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:28 am  

Bandit Kingdoms, though the Wild Coast/Pomarj is close

Wee Jas

WG7 (over the Blades of Corusk, which could also have been so much more)

Iggwilv

Baba Yaga's Hut (narrowly over the Codex of the Infinite Planes and the Demonomicon)
    CF Admin

Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:48 am  

I like the way you think about Greyhawk, Mike! :D

Allan.

Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:27 pm  

Maximus: Trithereon. I'll stay on your good side. Also, you'd redo the City of Greyhawk? Daaaang. Guessing you'd like to see the Gord novel version in that same box set? ;)

therabyd: Wee Jas, Five Shall be One, Iggwilv and Baba Yaga's Hut! Those are all my answers. Are we related? Laughing

grodog: I have my moments! Happy
    GreySage

Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:12 am  

mortellan wrote:
    therabyd: Wee Jas, Five Shall be One, Iggwilv and Baba Yaga's Hut! Those are all my answers. Are we related? Laughing

Iggwilv and Baba Yaga's Hut were mine, as well. Happy

https://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2020/10/ring-of-five-questions-round-4.html?fbclid=IwAR2d6pubHu8FgWzX046bZ52gN8_EW-V8WRaSJFav0jypbcLpU4geIARhYes

SirXaris

Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:48 am  

Plenty of room for us all in the Hut. Iggwilv will be harder to share Laughing
    Master Greytalker

Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:13 pm  

The easy answers are Perrenland and the Shedomar, but those are only because they are the settings of my longest-running campaigns. I'm sure with time and attention I would have other 'favorites'.

Trithereon is the easy choice (http://canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=221), but seems to have been claimed by others above. Lydia? Zodal?

Castle Hart.

That depends entirely on the goal. You need the right tool for the job.

I have wanted a Cube of Zebulon since forever, but that's not linked to Greyhawk. Does the Moonarch of Sehanine count?
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:18 pm  
    Ring of Five Questions

OK, this looks like fun!

My favorite is Keoland, as it is/was the basis for my adventures I have DM'd and for the articles I typically write for Canonfire.

I would have to say the hero-deity Murlynd. He combines a D&D paladin with some wild west Boot Hill crossover. He was once a mortal man who got to hang out with the big boys until he finally made good himself. Has a rocking home in the demi-plane of Dungeonland. Plus six shooters! What's not to like?

I always wanted to have some of the old legendary projects that never saw the light of day be published. Such as the "WG7 Shadowland" project that died in development. Having some of those be part of our shared experience today would be a wish come true.

Aside from the aforementioned Murlynd, Otto from the Circle of Eight is the one NPC I would like to hang out with the most. Maybe he would not be the most powerful for a given situation, but he can cast yodeling ice storms and is a big theater patron, making any adventure with him have great style points.

This one is tough - I think the Mace of St Cuthbert calls out to me. I have enjoyed playing paladins and the like, making a relic of strong LG very cool. Plus, I can add in a bit of our real world creep into the fantasy world, which is also appealing.

O-D
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: