Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Map of Seaton?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Map of Seaton?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:10 am  
    Map of Seaton?

Hello All,

I am unable to find any maps of Seaton available. There is one listed on Canonfire, but it is a thumb pic with a dead link to a bigger map. It would be perfect, but it is a dead link. I've tried the Wayback Machine to find an archive of it, to no avail.

I'm running my players through Ghosts of Saltmarsh and they are looking to head to the "big city" of Seaton to perhaps spend some coin. It would be good to have something to splash on the Roll20 screen (since we are in a plague).

Thanks!
    GreySage

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:43 am  

Watabou's Medieval Fantasy City Generator automatically makes a map of a small town, large town, small city, or large city which you can then modify in various ways, warping streets and walls, changing the style, making it more complex, eliminating triangular buildings, adding shanty towns, adding or subtracting rivers or coasts, changing the names, etc. It's a really good resource for quickly making maps of any fantasy city you can imagine.

He also has a random dungeon generator.

Here's a basic map I made using Watabou's generator:

Last edited by rasgon on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:47 am  

Here's a discussion on Seaton and Burle on Reddit, with some suggested maps.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:46 am  

rasgon wrote:
    Watabou's Medieval Fantasy City Generator automatically makes a map of a small town, large town, small city, or large city which you can then modify in various ways, warping streets and walls, changing the style, making it more complex, eliminating triangular buildings, adding shanty towns, adding or subtracting rivers or coasts, changing the names, etc.

Thanks!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:46 am  

rasgon wrote:
    Here's a discussion on Seaton and Burle on Reddit, with some suggested maps.

Yes, I had seen that and found it not as enlightening as I thought it would.
    Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:31 am  

Are you on the Canonfire discord chat server? If so, one of the players (aurdraco) has set his campaign in Seaton and might have a map to share with you.

Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:18 am  

Longetalos wrote:
    Are you on the Canonfire discord chat server? If so, one of the players (aurdraco) has set his campaign in Seaton and might have a map to share with you.

Not yet, I'm not! I'll have to dig up the info to join.
    Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:52 pm  

The link is just to the left of this screen, #greytalk-discord. Go to the bottom and click, join the chat.

Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:07 pm  

You could use this for Safeton
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:58 am  

"The Razing of Redshore" in Dungeon #92 which assuming they're meant to be the same place, details the city of Redshore which at some point has been placed in Salinmoor on the Anna Meyer map but could easily be used for Seaton.

There's nothing specifically placing Redshore in the Greyhawk setting but it mentions the ruling family as the Lorchesters who I've seen mentioned in conjunction with Salinmoor somewhere so I'm not sure at what point Redshore was incorporated into Greyhawk.

It's described as a coastal city & the Kaspilar River it straddles "...winds up into the mountains and eventually through several large dwarven communities" which seems incongruous to its placement on a small island off the coast of Salinmoor. Anna's map locates Seaton on the Kingfisher River which seems to flow down from some hills (admittedly not mountains filled with dwarven enclaves) but the dwarven settlement of Waverock is further up the coast in those same hills. The 3e & 5e resources show that the Kingfisher River is actually the river Saltmarsh is located on (not the Janustream). There seems to be some conflicts going on.

As written, Redshore is bigger than the regional capital of Seaton and although there are lots of cases of capitals not being the largest cities in a region, if you prefer that Seaton is the larger of the two you could always do a swapsie & use Redshore for Seaton. It would be relatively simple to switch the Lorchesters (Redshore's ruling family) for the Secunforths and the House of the Seafather as a church of Osprem.
    CF Admin

Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:37 pm  

Wolfling might have read the placement of Redshore in Greyhawk in GVDammerung's Canonfire! article, Postfest VIII(UPF1): A Guide to the Viscounty of Salinmoor - Introduction and Overview. It's also discussed in his Brief Chronicle of the Viscounts and Who Is Who.

I found them compelling but think I'll likely adapt, rather than adopt, them: I like how GVD articulated complicated politics between the Lorchesters and Secunforths vis-à-vis the aftermath of Tavish III's death at the Siege of Westkeep, but I find the entire Viscounty odd: it seems like there should be a major port where the Javan River flows into the Azure Sea, and indeed Anna's map shows Port Torvin on the Sea Princes' shore, but the WoG boxed set map shows nothing there, so it's likely populated by no more than 5,000 people (i.e., the maximum for a "large town" per the LGG). In other words, for me, it doesn't feel right for Seaton, Saltmarsh, Burle, and any other Salinmoor towns to be smaller than one on a small island (Redshore). But YMMV.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:39 am  

Ive a local copy for the map from Canonfire (originally linked from http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=512), im sending it to you by PM.

Sergio :-)
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:01 am  

Just read an interesting reference to Seaton in L4C - The Lendore Isle Companion by Lenard Lakofka;

It's described as a fairly simple town well known for its shipyards and is one of several main suppliers to the Royal Navy. It exports fish (its secondary income source) to Burle, lumber to Saltmarsh and ships/boats to Gradsul. Lumber is sourced from the Dreadwood and the teams of shipwrights are comprised of humans, dwarves & elves. The shipyard can work on 2 large vessels at one time and on average produces 6 'merchantmen' a year.

Interesting it claims that the Sea Ghost of U-series fame was constructed here.

I'm not sure that this is considered canon but I thought it was worth adding here for interest.
    CF Admin

Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:05 pm  

Wolfling wrote:
    Just read an interesting reference to Seaton in L4C - The Lendore Isle Companion by Lenard Lakofka;

Thanks Wolfling. This is very interesting, and its contains information that bears on a couple of other current threads, including Climate of the Flanaess and Keoland's RW Analog.

On page seven, Lakofka's Lendore Isle Companion notes: "The prevailing winds south of the 30th parallel are North East trade winds (from the north east toward the south west). North of the 30th parallel they are prevailing westerly winds from the south west toward the north east. This does not mean that winds never come from the opposite direction, rotation around lows and highs determine that. A voyage from Gradsul to Restenford is, therefore, against the trade winds and the return voyage is blessed by generally more favorable winds. Average wind speeds are between five and fifteen miles per hour and cause a swing of as much as thirty miles going with the wind as opposed to sailing into it."

In other words, Lakofka holds that the Oerth's predominant winds accord with Earth's — in contrast to Gygax's World of Greyhawk Guide!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:20 am  

rol-oeste wrote:
    Ive a local copy for the map from Canonfire (originally linked from http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=512), im sending it to you by PM.

Sergio :-)

Would you be able to send it to me via PM as well, please Sergio?

Cheers!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: