Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Broken search function?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Support and Feedback
    Broken search function?
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:03 am  
    Broken search function?

The search function isn't working like it used to - it's turning up almost no results. I type in "Nyrond" and I get three results from the last week. Most queries, even keywords I know that I've posted, get zero results. What happened?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:39 am  

Some of the Search function keywords needed to be removed, as it was impacting various site functions. It should slowly come back. If a word doesn't work the first time, try it again. Nyrond now comes up; probably because you put it in. Wink

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:00 am  

Like I said, "Nyrond" generates results, but nothing older than last week, which is useless. "Iuz" brings two pitiful hits. Most words generate nothing: lendor, xaene, knurl, vecna, etc. Multiple attempts don't change anything.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:20 am  

Ah, you are right. That is not so good. I'll ask Gary about it.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:04 am  

Thanks. I hope something can be done. This forum's search function has been in invaluable resource over the years.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:33 pm  

No kidding, but try searching Nyrond again. I just did, and I stopped looking after dozens of hits going back years, so the Search function is (thankfully) rebuilding.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:59 pm  

I'm still not getting any search results earlier than Feb 10th, 2013.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:08 am  

I just got 133 matches for "Nyrond", going all the way back to 2001. Obviously that term has been resurrected. Try it again.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:38 pm  

Hmmm... I'm at a loss. I've doublechecked my spelling and the option boxes, I've tried different browsers, I've searched while signed in and out, and I'm still getting the same limited results and nonexistent queries.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your help and continued responses.
    GreySage

Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:19 pm  

I just tried searching for Nyrond and received 134 matches from 2013 to as far back as 2001.

Perpahs you are limiting your search to a small section of the website. Check the boxes at the top of the search page to be sure that 'everything' is selected.

Also, I note that the search function won't search the Forums. That option is not available. Am I missing it somewhere?

SirXaris
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:16 pm  

I bet the difference is that vestcoat is searching the Forums, not searching the site, in which case he is right. Certainly the term "Nyrond" comes up in forums posts much more than five or six times. I'll ask Gary about that.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:18 am  

Has their been any luck finding out what's going on with the Forum Search engine? I've been experiencing problems with no search results being found too.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:40 pm  

As I understand it, the issue was that the search function keyword bank was so full that it was impeding being able to post at all, so the bank needed to be purged a bit, which has led to the current situation. Searching more may slowly rebuild the word bank. I am not sure on the specifics of things though, so some of what I just said may be slightly off. This is definitely affecting the Forum search more than the Site search though.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:48 pm  

Thanks Cebrion, I'll just keep trying every now and then. The forums have so much great information available they're a great research tool.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:11 pm  

Thanks for the update, but this is really frustrating. I use the forum search on a regular basis for posts, research, and campaign reference. I can't count how many times I've logged in to Canonfire to dig up an old thread, remember some post I researched, or refresh my memory on a Rasgon essay. I'm active on forums much busier than Canonfire and they've never had any search problems. Also, the the forum search is definitely not regenerating. Nothing prior to 2/10/13 has been revealed for weeks. Do you guys need donations for better phpBB service or something?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:55 am  

While a donation format has not been discussed much yet, doing an upgrade has been being discussed for a while now. Nothing has been decided as of yet though.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:05 pm  

I've been having trouble with this too, and yeah - it's frustrating having to search for old posts manually.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:36 am  

Just a quick update - I'm still having no luck with the forum search function - has anyone else had any luck?
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:13 pm  

No. It's totally broken.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:45 pm  

It is not specifically broken. The keywords had to be wiped in order to restore basic posting. Basically, PHP-Nuke has limitations, we found out what they are, and we have to work within them (for now). The FORUM search function will rebuild, but it will take time and use to do so. It took, what, nine years to break it? I doubt it will break again before Gary upgrades things. In the mean time, I'll see if it is possible if some keywords can be added back in.

Just to be clear, it is the FORUM search function that is impacted. The SITE search function has not been impacted at all.

Last edited by Cebrion on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:13 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    The FORUM search function will rebuild, but it will take time and use to do so.

This is what you said when you thought I was talking about the site search. So both the site and the forum searches were purged? Or which is it?

As far as I can tell, the site search never experienced a hiccup, while the forum search has been totally screwed for two months and hasn't regenerated one iota. The only new results that have appeared are from recent discussions. Absolutely nothing prior to Feb 2013 is appearing. This problem won't fix itself.
    CF Admin

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:00 pm  

Yes, I noticed this problem when trying to search for the old maps thread that Issak had put together: searching for "maps" didn't return any search results in the forums from prior to 2013.

My hunch is that the forums search index needs to be rebuilt or restored, if rebuilding isn't possible. If that file's too big, selectively pruning it based on keyword search usage would be better than nuking the whole thing. I'll try to come to GT this week or next to talk with Gary about it.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:17 pm  

AHHHH!!! I can't even look at my old posts! Going to my profile and clicking on "see all posts by vestcoat" takes me to what should be the first of seven pages, but my posts stop at 2/20/13 and the links to the other six pages of my posts fail. I'm trying to reference a discussion I participated in some time ago. This totally sucks. Trying to view the post history of other members also fails.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:17 am  

vestcoat wrote:
    Cebrion wrote:
    The FORUM search function will rebuild, but it will take time and use to do so.

This is what you said when you thought I was talking about the site search. So both the site and the forum searches were purged? Or which is it?

It is just the forum Search function. Initially I thought the site Search function had been impacted, but it hasn't.

vestcoat wrote:
    AHHHH!!! I can't even look at my old posts! Going to my profile and clicking on "see all posts by vestcoat" takes me to what should be the first of seven pages, but my posts stop at 2/20/13 and the links to the other six pages of my posts fail. I'm trying to reference a discussion I participated in some time ago. This totally sucks. Trying to view the post history of other members also fails.

All of your post page links work for me, going all the way back to your first post HERE. Not sure what to tell you, other than to keep trying.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:58 am  
    ***UPDATE*** Search Restored?

Hey guys,

I may have restored the full index for searching the forums again, but I'll need you to test it to be sure its right.

I manipulated the table and storage variables to make them more robust (we have over 2.1 million search entries and growing), so let's give this a try. Look for extreme slowness on the site in general as a symptom it has failed.

-Gary
    GreySage

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:11 pm  

OMG! Surprised

PSmedger . . . Lives! Shocked

Mwahahahahahahahahaha!

Thanks for the assist, Gary. Nice to know you're still around. Wink

Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:48 am  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    OMG! Surprised
    PSmedger . . . Lives! Shocked
    Mwahahahahahahahahaha!
    Thanks for the assist, Gary. Nice to know you're still around. Wink

2nd that...
    Also couldnt help but notice a "family resemblance" in Avatars
    MAWWAAHAHAAAAA might at some distant point in my future ascend to JUNIOR OVERLORD hehehehehe Evil Grin Evil Grin Evil Grin
    hey its good to have goals.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:35 am  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    Also couldnt help but notice a "family resemblance" in Avatars . . . might at some distant point in my future ascend to JUNIOR OVERLORD.

Talk about delusions of grandeur! Shocked rolleyes

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
    GreySage

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:36 am  

Sorry! Wasn't logged in! Embarassed

That was me, DLG. Wink Laughing

Who'd a thunk I could yank people's chains anonymously!? Happy

Mwahahahahahahahaha!

Just some food for thought! Wink Evil Grin

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:00 am  

Mystic Scholar wrote:
    Talk about delusions of grandeur! rolleyes

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Have always been one to set goals HIGH,,, anything less is settling.... Cool
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:24 pm  
    Re: ***UPDATE*** Search Restored?

PSmedger wrote:

I may have restored the full index for searching the forums again, but I'll need you to test it to be sure its right.

It seems to be working. Thank you SO much! These forums are a tremendous resource and I reference them all the time.
    GreySage

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:16 am  

Well, it's working for me, so Gary must have gotten it corrected. Woo-hoo! Happy Cool

Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:13 pm  

This isn't working for me, again: if I search the forums for the keyword "demons" by the author "rasgon" I'm only getting 6 search results returned, and I know he's written plenty more than that about demons :D

Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:50 pm  

Yep. Something is up. I did a general search for "demon" and only got hits going back to March of 2013. I am pretty sure that the word "demon" has come up prior to that date.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:42 pm  

Agreed, and the problem's not just the forum either: I searched for "demonomicon iggwilv" (no quotation marks) and got 0 hits back on articles on the site too....

Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:03 am  

Yep, the problems are returning. Once again, I'm only able to access the first page of search results. Clicking on subsequent pages is met with "No topics or posts met your search criteria"
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:15 pm  

Vestcoat said:

Quote:

I'm having the same issue along with the aforementioned "search the forum" problems.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:47 pm  

I just clicked on your profile, and was able to view all five pages of your posts. As to the search function, which one are you using (there are two of them, as seen HERE)?

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:52 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    I just clicked on your profile, and was able to view all five pages of your posts. As to the search function, which one are you using (there are two of them, as seen HERE)?

I'm def using that search function, yes.

(I have that and a few other helpful pages saved in my journal here, as you may see.)

I'll try checking both again.

I greatly appreciate your swift reply.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:00 pm  

I clicked the profile button under my posts (while logged in and logged out).

Then clicked "show all posts".

Then tried both the page numbers and the "next" button.

Still got the same message saying there is no more.

Here's the journal entry I mentioned to show I don't like bothering people unless I've done plenty of resolution attempts on my own:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf//modules.php?name=Journal&file=display&jid=151
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:23 am  

DrassustheGaunt wrote:
    I'm def using that search function, yes.

There are TWO search functions. Which one is "that search function"? Look at the link I gave you and tell me which search function you are using- the one inside the green box or the yellow box- and what it is that you are searching for. Give me *specific* terms. I can still see your posts too, whether I am logged in under admin or not. My regular user profile is not quite as regular as others though, so I wonder if anybody else can access those pages. So I logged out completely and checked it out. I can still view your profile and all five pages of your posts. So, all good from here, which makes me wonder...what browser you are using?

Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:05 am  

Ceb,

Understood.

I'm using (and have been for some time) the one boxed in green to search the forums and the one boxed in yellow to search everything else, as indicated in your image.

Search seems to be working today but still having the "only first page is available" issue.

I'm using Firefox 30.0 as my browser.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:34 pm  

Yarrg! I don't know that to tell you. I think Firefox is up to 33 now, but I wouldn't count on an update fixing things. You never know though.

What are some search terms you have been using, and on which search engine have you been using them? I would like to check those too, as we did have search engine issues in the recent past. They seem to have been sorted out, so I want to know about any exceptions. Break them up by search engine used and term searched for, like so:

Site: "Nyrond", "Mordenkainen", "etc."
    Forum: "Iuz", "Driz'zt", "sharknado", "etc." Razz

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:35 pm  

Ceb,

Site search works perfectly. I searched "pelor" and "erythnul". Got matches for both, clicked "more matches" at the bottom of the results page and got those, too.

Both the forum search (terms = "brain raid", "graz'zt and "slave lords") and my profile search of all my posts had the same problem - I'd get results but couldn't access beyond the first page. It would say there were no more after clicking either "next" or the page # I wanted at the bottom of the screen.

Updated Firefox to version 33 but no change in any of the above.

Sadly, I'm away from home and this isn't my machine so I can't mess with it too much.

Thanks again for your help.

- D

Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:25 pm  

I haven't bothered complaining for a while, but stuff continues to be messed up.

Using the forum search function takes me to a blank white page saying "No input file specified."

Going to my user profile and trying to page through my posts brings up a Canonfire-themed screen saying "No topics or posts met your search criteria."

I'm running up-to-date Firefox on Windows 7.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:02 pm  

The problem is not with you or your OS, but with the links themselves. The old Forum Search had this address:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=search

The various links had the "/htmlcf/" portion changed to "/cf/". The Forum Search has not yet been updated, but it is there, as are all of the links. The new Forum Search link is therefore:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=search

If you get a 404 error for anything, check the link and see if it has the "/cf/" bit. If so, just delete the "html" part of it, and it should take you where you want to go. The most notable links where this has yet to be fixed are the Forum Search and sign-up links.

I do not have the access to fix this myself, but Gary was notified of the problem a while back. I will notify him again.

As to your posts not being viewable through your user profile, I can see all 12 pages of them, so I don' know what to tell you there. Perhaps Gary can shed some light on why you specifically are not be able to access them.

Last edited by Cebrion on Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CF Admin

Fri May 11, 2018 6:55 am  

Using the proper forum search link of http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=search I tried some searches this morning, but wasn't able to get a search result to appear in the web browsing window: it was just blank.

Anyone else seeing this? I'm using FF 60.0 (64 bit) browser.

Allan.

Fri May 11, 2018 11:54 am  

Hmmm. Must have been a momentary glitch. Working now.

Allan.

Tue May 15, 2018 1:22 pm  

Broken again? Searching for "cuisine" (without quotation marks) in the forums yields http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=search&mode=results&sid=954334c9e312404d7e49b21926b0516e as a URL which shows:

Quote:

Could not delete old search id sessions

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1153 Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes

DELETE FROM nuke_bbsearch_results WHERE session_id NOT IN ('0000efdfd4f51bbb61568dcfe60385af', '00027e3dec5fa63b8ba6faba22f23278', '0002d39dea540590c0d5490fa6ac98f9',
    ... lots more lines of code here ...
    'b260f7c912ea7bb63e7618fad3b34306', 'cdae304ce49950780d7a48303dd218eb', 'ec221e88261770439297ba63f9e77ea8')

Line : 660
    File : search.php

Yikes!

Allan.

Tue May 22, 2018 12:49 am  

I get seven hits, including this post.

Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:49 am  

Forum search hasn't worked for me for a long time. Can't view old posts on my profile. Forum search link still broken and has to be changed manually.

Usual error is: "Could not delete old search id sessions" "debug mode" and then a wall of nonsense.
    CF Admin

Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:49 am  

vestcoat wrote:
    Forum search hasn't worked for me for a long time. Can't view old posts on my profile. Forum search link still broken and has to be changed manually.

Usual error is: "Could not delete old search id sessions" "debug mode" and then a wall of nonsense.

Hmmm. Delete your Canonfire! cookies, that may work if you've got a corrupt session cookie there, vestcoat.

I was just able to search by both me and by you as author (after fixing the search URL), so the function is working.

Allan.

Tue May 12, 2020 2:22 am  

Posting this here instead of opening a second topic.

Having a similar problem: Search function works, but only the first page of results displays. If I click on any of the pages beyond the first, I get:

"No topics or posts met your search criteria"

Am I having a case of "teh stupid", or this just, well, broken? Embarassed

Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:05 pm  

I spoke to Gary about this last week. Something happened back in 2013 and it still has not recovered. When searching you will find everything posted prior to April 2013, but nothing after that date.

Anyway, that is what is am noticing.

Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:39 pm  

Sounds like the search engine index process stopped running, perhaps?

Allan.

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:27 pm  

I get something quite weird.

If I search on Keoland, I get all the Articles from 2001 up to 2020.

If I search on Longetalos, I only get the Articles I submitted from 2001 to 2013.

If I search on Omnipotent, I get all my OV view articles from 2001 to 2020.

So really, I do not know what is going on.

On the plus side though, the Zavoda index is improving in the pop-up on the Search engine.

Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:33 pm  

Friends,

Within the past ten days or so, it seems like the Forums Search function has failed: a few days ago, I could received no hits, and in the past two days or so, I'm getting very few hits (possibly just from threads with posts in 2021?).

Here are a few of the keywords I used: Suel, derro, Monmurg, skulk, dark creeper.
    Sage of Canonfire

Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:50 pm  

It got corrupted, so it's slowly rebuilding once again. Hopefully, it will be fully back soon. Don't know if there's something I can do to kick it to speed up.

-Gary
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Support and Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

You can post new topics in this forum
    You can reply to topics in this forum
    You can edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Canonfire! is a production of the Thursday Group in assocation with GREYtalk and Canonfire! Enterprises

Contact the Webmaster.  Long Live Spidasa!

Greyhawk Gothic Font by Darlene Pekul is used under the Creative Commons License.

PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
    Page Generation: 0.74 Seconds