JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Emirikol the Chaotic
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Emirikol the Chaotic
    Adept Greytalker

Tue May 04, 2021 10:19 am  
    Emirikol the Chaotic

I'm trying to track down all appearances, Greyhawk or otherwise, of Emerikol the Chaotic, esp. adventures. I'd like him to appear in a Greyhawk game and I'm going to try to make him fit in the Flanaess somehow. Here's what I have so far:

original illustration AD&D DMG
    Paladin in Hell 2e module
    Emirikol Was Framed DCC module
    Elder Evils 3.5 book "Worm That Walks" chapter
    Rick Miller's Duicarthan places him in All

I know from this article

http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com/2016/03/dungeons-dragons-guide-to-emirikol.html

that there are a few scattered references in 4e but no real appearances, or suggestions how to Greyhawk him.

Did I miss anything? Has anyone else used him for anything? How would he best fit into the World of Greyhawk?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue May 04, 2021 1:23 pm  

I can't remember the source, but there was also a reference to Lokireme, the Lawful. Not so sure if this had any degree of seriousness, though.
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Wed May 05, 2021 8:36 am  

The bastard son of Emirikol was a promising student at Grey College studying the geography of the Flanaess when his father made his famous ride of slaughter and destruction. It was only a day later when Alarak was dismissed and thrown from the college and his small set of rooms above the Four Pots, a less than salubrious inn frequented by students and members of the Cartographers Guild.

A crowd gathered at the eviction and then became a mob. Alarak found himself fleeing for his life. He was nearly caught at the Bridge of Entwined Hearts and barely made it through the Guarding Gate and out of ther city.

Alarak has received some training as both a fighter and magician but lacks experience in either profession. He is out on his own but is well versed in cartography and knows the Flanaess as well as maps could educate and as little as one who has never ventured beyond the walls of the City of Greyhawk.
    GreySage

Wed May 05, 2021 1:53 pm  

In Gygax's novel Come Endless Darkness there's a mention (page 257) of an unnamed mage dedicated to chaos equivalent in power to Bigby of the Circle of Eight dwelling "far to the west." If you assume this is Emirikol, that's compatible with the idea that he lives in Baklunish lands.

When Living Greyhawk Journal #5 placed the wizard Castanamir from C3 on Oerth (in Zeif), it referred to him as the Last Amir of Beit Castan, and so I'd question whether Emirikol is actually a title as well, not a personal name—is he actually the Emir of Ikol?

In A Paladin in Hell, Emirikol's fortress is on a narrow peninsula known as Point Harrow. There are no significant bodies of water to place this in Ull, although I suppose it could be on the bend of a minor river or tiny lake.

Emir is a title associated with Zeif, the Bakhoury Coast, the Janasib Islands, and Tusmit, but not with Ull. In Ull, they tend to use central Asian titles like khan. Emirikol could be an exiled emir who retains his title in a foreign land as an affectation, however—which fits with his personality, I think, and the image of him riding through the streets of Greyhawk on a horse throwing fireballs.

Still, I think it might make more sense to place Point Harrow (and Ikol) on the Bakhoury Coast or the Janasib Islands, in the Dramidj Ocean. Making him a renegade emir from the independent and piratey Janasib Islands fits him well, in my opinion, and I can easily imagine Point Harrow on an island called Ikol there.

In this thread I suggested adapting A Paladin in Hell to use the Fellowship of the Torch from the City of Greyhawk boxed set. In that scenario, Emirikol might have some tie to the Fellowship.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu May 06, 2021 12:02 pm  

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions and information. Thank you also for correctly translating the autocorrect All as Ull, which repeatedly keeps happening even as I type this sentence.

I enjoy Rasgon's naming suggestions and will probably use the Janasib Islands, because what other excuse will I ever have to place something there? (Has anything ever been done with them?)

My purpose in exploring this is to flesh out the Emirikol stuff in the Worm That Walks adventure summaries as a kind of adjunct to an upcoming Age of Worms campaign. So the PCs would Emirikol while the cult of Kyuss moves behind the scenes, etc.
    CF Admin

Thu May 06, 2021 7:05 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    When Living Greyhawk Journal #5 placed the wizard Castanamir from C3 on Oerth (in Zeif), it referred to him as the Last Amir of Beit Castan, and so I'd question whether Emirikol is actually a title as well, not a personal name—is he actually the Emir of Ikol? . . . .

Emir is a title associated with Zeif, the Bakhoury Coast, the Janasib Islands, and Tusmit, but not with Ull. In Ull, they tend to use central Asian titles like khan. Emirikol could be an exiled emir who retains his title in a foreign land as an affectation, however—which fits with his personality, I think, and the image of him riding through the streets of Greyhawk on a horse throwing fireballs.

I like this suggestion greatly, and it reminds me of changes I made to Ghosts of Saltmarsh, which presents "Keledek the Unspoken" as an evil wizard in the town.

While developing that NPC, I changed his name to Khaled-el-Ek, which the townsfolk mispronounce (and misspell?) as Keledek. I also made him Neutral instead of evil, gave him a backstory as an old apprentice of Rary Sammal of Ket, and sketched out his sojourn to the backwater town of Saltmarsh.

IMC, he studied under Drawmij while living in Gradsul when Drawmij was "merely" a wizard (i.e., not a mage) and think that he agreed to build a tower in Saltmarsh in order to monitor and/or explore the Hool Marshes and to learn more about Baltron’s Beacon, Valadis, and House Malhel. (I also made him an astronomer.)
    Master Greytalker

Thu May 06, 2021 11:37 pm  

Anna's map even has a a suitable island Iko. Lies north of the Salakesh Cove within the Bakhoury Coast. Even appears to have a rugged landscape, ie. Point Harrow.

Seems to me; excellent location for a coastal corsair haven. According to the Zeifan Gazetteer, the sultan assaulted the Janasib Isles, but the corsairs will eventually recover. Perhaps; the fortress is a ruin as the Zeifan Navy, simply scattered the corsairs of Iko, en route to Zirat.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat May 08, 2021 9:28 am  

So I'll be using this. Does anyone have any good real world parallels for the Janasib Islands or Bakhoury Coast? I try to ground my locations (esp. exotic ones) in as much reality as I can.
    GreySage

Sat May 08, 2021 9:45 am  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_pirates
    Adept Greytalker

Sat May 08, 2021 4:02 pm  

Oh! those guys!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu May 13, 2021 1:26 pm  

Skech wrote:
    I can't remember the source, but there was also a reference to Lokireme, the Lawful. Not so sure if this had any degree of seriousness, though.

Are you thinking of Lokerimon the Lawful? It's from an illustration in the DCC core rulebook. My friend Jason did the illustration. I know he was working directly with Goodman at the time he drew it. Not sure if it was his concept of Joseph Goodman's. I can ask him the next time I talk to him if you're interested.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: