JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Blazonry
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Blazonry
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:03 am  
    Blazonry

I was wondering if there are any blazonry expert out there? The wiki page has quite a few of the blazons listed but there are a few missing. I've tried to work them out but it's like learning a new language so I thought I'd check if there was anyone more fluent than I!

For starters, the blazonry of the Great Kingdom, North Province & South Province would be super handy.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:59 pm  

Great Kingdom: Azure, a crowned sun or.

South Province: Or, a crowned boar's head azure.

North Province: Gules, a crowned sun or encircled by a wingless dragon(wyrm?) azure.

Those are common basic descriptions, though the encircling dragon in the last one might be described differently (I don't recall a description for anything encircling something else). Anna has likely looked at this more than me lately, so perhaps she might add something. Also, the crowns are not usually described, as it is assumed they will match the type and material/color appropriate to the land they are for.

Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:32 am  

Thanks Cebrion. I wasn't sure how best to describe things that were crowned.

Is there a need to describe that the crown on South Province's boar is gold or is it always assumed that it will be that colour? Similarly, with the red tongue & white tusks. I think i read something about the term 'langued' for describing the tongue but again I'm not sure if their are assumed default colours for these things.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu May 06, 2021 8:06 am  

Does anyone know what the symbol on Tenh's heraldry is? I can't find it amongst the glyphs in the Guide to the World of Greyhawk but it looks kind of anthropomorphic to me.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed May 12, 2021 7:13 pm  

Wolfling wrote:
    Does anyone know what the symbol on Tenh's heraldry is? I can't find it amongst the glyphs in the Guide to the World of Greyhawk but it looks kind of anthropomorphic to me.

I take it as the Flan word for "strength", or "resistance".

I consider the modern Flan language to have been formed from a wide variety of older Flan tongues, some of which used Cree or Cherokee-style syllabics and some of which used Mi'kmaq-style hieroglyphs. That's what makes translating to or from Flan into other human languages so difficult-whereas modern Oeridian, Common, Suel and other related languages all share somewhat related roots, Flan's origins and evolution are very different. The Flan word for "strength" derived from a hieroglyph of a man standing up as if he's holding something overhead with all his strength.

The Duchy of Tenh was formed by Flan nations migrating from all over the Flanaess, many of them driven out of their homes by the violence and betrayal of the Oeridians and Suel. Tenh's heraldry was created to honor the strength and determination of the peoples who resisted what they too often suffered at Oeridian and Suel hands even as they fought for their lives against the orcs, ogres and other humanoids that have been a plague on every group of humanity since time began.

The Tenha showed that same spirit of resistance during the Greyhawk Wars when they defeated the invasions of the Fists and the Bandits, and they're showing it now as they strive to free Redspan, aid the fairy-folk of the Phostwood and break the siege of Atherstone. That spirit may be more necessary than ever as the seventh century CY approaches...
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu May 13, 2021 4:18 am  

It could be an old Flan glyph for "person," symbolizing Tenh as being "the land of the Flan People."

Thu May 13, 2021 12:50 pm  

CruelSummerLord wrote:
    Wolfling wrote:

I consider the modern Flan language to have been formed from a wide variety of older Flan tongues, some of which used Cree or Cherokee-style syllabics and some of which used Mi'kmaq-style hieroglyphs. That's what makes translating to or from Flan into other human languages so difficult-whereas modern Oeridian, Common, Suel and other related languages all share somewhat related roots, Flan's origins and evolution are very different. The Flan word for "strength" derived from a hieroglyph of a man standing up as if he's holding something overhead with all his strength.

This is interesting. I took a similar approach in the Aerdi history I'm writing for my blog --

"In the realm of literacy, which began to grow among the Aerdi nobility, the Suloise influence was preeminent. The Ehlissans, like many Flan cultures confined literacy to the priestly class and used logographic writing systems, which were more difficult to learn. The shamans of the Aerdi clans had previously used a system of runes for writing, but they were soon abandoned for a form of the Ancient Suloise script adapted to Old Oeridian."
    Adept Greytalker

Wed May 19, 2021 6:52 am  

Thanks for the feedback. Both suggestions are really sound so perhaps the glyph could mean both these things; 'the Tenha people' and 'strength'?
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: