Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - HELP - City of Brass?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    HELP - City of Brass?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:40 am  
    HELP - City of Brass?

Hi,

Outside of the reference in the 1E DMG (Codex of Infinite Planes), can anyone point me to a source for the City of Brass in Greyhawk "canon?"

Any assistance will be appreciated. Happy

Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:15 am  

Probably just way too obvious to point out, but the original cover of the 1e DMG show a picture of it.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:28 am  

The first thought that came to my mind was the picture of the City of Brass in the Jeff Grubb Manual of the Planes for the elemental plane of fire.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:25 pm  

Looking at Tzelios’ Greyhawk Content of the Coloring Album there is a reference to the City of Brass. I guess if TSR or a WotC put out a coloring book, it is arguable that there is some canon there. I have not seen it so I cannot say if there is a story told or it is just a series of images, but perhaps something can be extracted such as there is a gate to or a painting of the City in a lich's castle outside of Dyvers.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:08 am  

Thanks for the help! Happy I was looking at the City of Brass product by Rob Kuntz for Hackmaster in the game store and wondering if I should buy it. I'm thinking there may not be much Greyhawk connection to the City, however.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:36 pm  

Rob's CoB hasn't really been published fully: the Kenzer version is only 1/2 Rob's work, and 1/2 another author's work. (It also doesn't relate directly to the "To the City of Brass" RPGA tourney on this site and the Acaeum).

IIRC, in Rob's 100% complete ms. that Kenzer didn't publish, there are some nods toward GH, but it's not really set in GH explicity per se, since it's mostly about the Elemental Plane of Fire.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:44 pm  

grodog wrote:
    Rob's CoB hasn't really been published fully: the Kenzer version is only 1/2 Rob's work, and 1/2 another author's work. (It also doesn't relate directly to the "To the City of Brass" RPGA tourney on this site and the Acaeum).

IIRC, in Rob's 100% complete ms. that Kenzer didn't publish, there are some nods toward GH, but it's not really set in GH explicity per se, since it's mostly about the Elemental Plane of Fire.

Hmmm. With the Tzunk/Tzoonk references, the City of Brass would seem to fit nicely within Greyhawk's orbit. Its disappointing to hear that the Kenzer version is so "sanitized."

Thank you for the information. Smile Still not sure if I'll spring for this one. I understand Necromancer Games/SSS will be doing a City of Brass as well. And then there was the Al-Qadim "Secrets of the Lamp" which also dealt with the City of Brass. Choices, choices, choices. Question

Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:09 am  

http://www.acaeum.com/Library/CityBrass.html

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/canonfire/city_of_brass_tournament.pdf

Check out this thread on the Necromancer boards for more info on the history of the City of Brass in D&D and the Kenzer Module adaption by Kuntz

There's a whole message board on NG about City of Brass:
    http://p082.ezboard.com/fnecromancergamesfrm48

also:
    http://p082.ezboard.com/fnecromancergamesfrm48.showMessage?topicID=21.topic
    CF Admin

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:46 pm  

GVDammerung wrote:
    Hmmm. With the Tzunk/Tzoonk references, the City of Brass would seem to fit nicely within Greyhawk's orbit. Its disappointing to hear that the Kenzer version is so "sanitized."

Yeah. I have vague hope that Rob's ms. will eventually see the light of day in some other form, but who knows....

Quote:
    Thank you for the information. Smile

De nada :D

Quote:
    Still not sure if I'll spring for this one. I understand Necromancer Games/SSS will be doing a City of Brass as well.

I'm quite excited by the NG CoB project, it sounds good. Thanael's links should fill you in on the two CoB books coming out at the end of this year and the beginning of 2006.

Quote:
    And then there was the Al-Qadim "Secrets of the Lamp" which also dealt with the City of Brass. Choices, choices, choices. Question

I have that boxed set, it's the only Al-Qadim book/supplement that I own. The maps (drawn by Dave Sutherland) are quite goood, and the content's not too bad either. It's worth picking up if you can find a copy for $10-$15 or so.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:09 am  

GVD, if you haven't already (I realize that I am jumping in the thread rather late), buy it.

I can send you additional home material that I have created and used for a spring-board into the city with heavy Greyhawk ties and emphasis too, if you would like. 7mb worth.

email me if you want the stuff, I'm short on time lately, which unforteunately means short on Canonfire visits...

abyss@canonfire.com

also, feel free to link to the Readers Workshop thread ocncerning my Fiend-Sage of Rel Astra article. I know it's not perfect but it ties Greyhawk and the Planes together, which is the purpose of this forum, no?

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:19 am  

Abyss, which do you mean he shoudl buy? The Al Qadim box? or City of Brass?

Also I might be interested in those otes too...
    CF Admin

Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:51 pm  

It sounded like abyss was suggesting that he buy the Kenzer version (I'll also recommend the Al Q'adim version as well in Secrets of the Lamp, especially for the Dave Sutherland maps!).

FWIW, copies of Rob's unpublished CoB ms. were auctioned and sold for $200+ back in May-June or so.

Also, the NG version of CoB is being delayed until GenCon 2006, per info mentioned in those forums in the past few days. See http://p096.ezboard.com/fnecromancergamesfrm9.showMessage?topicID=2500.topic

Abyss, I'd definitely like to peruse your additional materials: would you please send them to me as well? Also, have you considered writing them up for CF!?

Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:33 am  

Kenzer's City of Brass book is kind of cool, and has some stuff worth stealing, but the version presented in Al Qadim's Secrets of the Lamp box was far superior (and it mentions Tzunk and his legacy several times). The Al Qadim text is far less... cartoonish, I guess is the word - not just because Sir Robilar's guide is Hackmaster, but because of all the gibberish names and adjective clans (the fact that the efreet are divided into "clans" in the first place) and overly simple efreeti/fire troll/fire giant/human population. Secrets of the Lamp has a feel far closer to the 1001 Arabian Nights, and is at the same time very closely integrated into the pre-Planescape AD&D cosmology (except the para-elemental and quasi-elemental planes are not mentioned).

Note that you can preview the Kenzer book on Amazon.com.
    CF Admin

Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:14 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    Note that you can preview the Kenzer book on Amazon.com.

For the lazy:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1594590036/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-7516735-8904137#reader-link

Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:24 am  

Wolfsire wrote:
    Looking at Tzelios’ Greyhawk Content of the Coloring Album there is a reference to the City of Brass. I guess if TSR or a WotC put out a coloring book, it is arguable that there is some canon there. I have not seen it so I cannot say if there is a story told or it is just a series of images, but perhaps something can be extracted such as there is a gate to or a painting of the City in a lich's castle outside of Dyvers.

It was published by Troubador Press under TSR license. Actually, according to my interpretation (which is pure logic, as rigorous proof as possible, therefore it serves truth), the castle of the lich Grusyin is the first realization of ToEE, implied in T1-4. Also, there is chance that it was not Tzunk the wizard in stasis inside the Coloring Album, but I doubt this possibility. It is too stretched to believe that Gygax, the author of the Coloring Album, when associating the wizard in stasis with the City of Brass, did not mean wizard Tzunk.

Other than that, after Rasgon, I got to find Secrets of the Lamp.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:30 am  

Also, I am pretty sure that if RJK had full control over the product, Rasgon would probably have different opinion.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:35 am  

grodog wrote:
    It sounded like abyss was suggesting that he buy the Kenzer version (I'll also recommend the Al Q'adim version as well in Secrets of the Lamp, especially for the Dave Sutherland maps!).

Abyss, I'd definitely like to peruse your additional materials: would you please send them to me as well? Also, have you considered writing them up for CF!?

and after grodog for the Sutherland maps:)

Abyss you may even consider the OJ.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:43 am  

"published by Troubador Press under TSR license"- thanks Tzelios, that had me stumped.
    CF Admin

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:42 pm  

Details on the Coloring Album are at http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/MiscPages/Odd.html with a cover image at http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/MiscPages/MiscScans/Coloring.html

Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:21 am  

There's also a version in the 3.5 Planar handbook.

Mike
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: