ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Looking for Greyhawk One Shot
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Looking for Greyhawk One Shot
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:22 pm  
    Looking for Greyhawk One Shot

Hi everyone,

I'm preparing to run an introductory D&D session for a few of my sceptic friends and I want to introduce them to Greyhawk. Could you point me in the direction of what a good one-shot adventure (3, max. 4 hours, including chargen) could be?

I'm inclined to set the adventure around Greyhawk City (it is the most cosmopolitan place of the Flanaess).
    GreySage

Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:20 pm  

The Adventure Cards in the City of Greyhawk boxed set are perfect for this. They are two pages of adventure (front and back on card-stock) and can be run easily in 3 or 4 hours.

One of my favorites is Siege of the Highfolk. It pits the PCs against some hobgoblins and can be very deadly to 1st level PCs if they think they can just rush in and attack. It gives a very good look at the grittiness of the World of Greyhawk, in my opinion.

You can find a brief description of how it turned out for my own players in the first entry in my Keep on the Borderlands blog, here:
    http://canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5218

SirXaris

Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:12 am  

Thanks for the tip. I have the CoG box but sadly none of the Adventure Cards scratch me the right way. I'd like to set the one-shot in or around the Free City but am still looking for the "traditional D&D experience" (so either a dungeon crawl or wilderness exploration). Perhaps a stint to the Cairn Hills or Gnarley Forest? I don't want to spring Castle Greyhawk on a bunch of new players who are only in for a few hours.
    GreySage

Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:28 pm  

Silvermane, if a module is not forthcoming, prepackaged and created, offering what you need, might I suggest making your OWN adventure?

I have long made a DMing career alternating between home-made campaigns and precrafted modules, often interweaving plot lines between them. I have found it is the best of both worlds.

These days I am not as much of a dungeon crawl kinda guy as I once was, though ARE some modules that fall under this category that I DO enjoy (The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth is a noteworthy on this score). I far more prefer wilderness adventures, or a mixture of both (with a dash of urban settings as well), if for no other reason than to give my players both avenues. It also gives all sorts of character classes a chance to shine.

The Domain of Greyhawk is RIFE with possibilities. I have a campaign setting just devoted to THAT area alone. If it's ideas you need to jumpstart your creative juices, let me know. I don't mind sharing a few of my own from previous or current campaigns.

BTW, it would help if we knew the levels of your players, as well as their character concepts, if those have been created.

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:47 am  

Lanthorn, if you could prompt me with a few ideas, that would be extremely helpful! I, too, rather create homebrew adventures instead of (or perhaps incorporating elements of) modules. Where I lack experience and ideas is in creating a 3 to 4 hour self-contained session that also feels distinctly Greyhawk.

Edit: The players are all first-timers who will create 1st level B/X characters.
    GreySage

Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:34 pm  

Silvermane, coming up with a 3 to 4 hour self-contained adventure for beginners is no easy feat. So I'll give it a try. Here are just a few ideas to consider.

The surrounding Cairn Hills offer countless wilderness options.

1) The PCs could be serving as guards for one of the merchant caravans moving through the Hills to any of the various mining communities (for supplies, etc) or many villages. They could be assaulted by anything from the local wildlife to monsters, humanoids, or bandits.

2) Station the PCs at any of the aforementioned villages or mining communities as guards instead of them roving through the Hills. Give them the same type of encounters.

3) The PCs could be in the Hills looking for any of the Cairns to explore. You could design your own Cairn. This could be a mix of wilderness adventure and dungeon crawl.

4) The PCs could be employed by the Mages' Guild to collect something needed for spell components or to create a potion, etc. This could be anything you design but must be harvested in the wild.

The surrounding Plain and Swamp offer possibilities too:

5) Lizard men are raiding the countryside villages and communities that border the Mistmarsh and/or any of the rivers that come out of the Swamp. The PCs could be hired as extra guards to fend of the reptiles.

6) The PCs could try to catch one of the infamous greyhawks (raptors) for which the area is known. Good luck.

7) Have the PCs serve as guards to defend any of the many cargo ships coming and going from Greyhawk's port.

These are just ideas off the top of my head...hope they help.

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:41 pm  

Village of Hommlet. Ignore the looming Temple of Elemental Evil and steer them to the Moathouse.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: