JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greatest Mysteries of Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Greatest Mysteries of Greyhawk
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:13 am  
    Greatest Mysteries of Greyhawk

Hi team, I've been re-reading a lot of GH material lately. Some parts are deliberately left vague to promote a sense of mystery and this is one of the fun parts of GH. It is not all resolved and you can make it what you want to make it.

So my question is - What do you think the great mysteries of Greyhawk are?

My examples to get the ball rolling:

1. What happened to Prince Thrommel - lots of speculation but nothing definitive right?

2. Who or what is Philidor the Blue? Where is he from and what are his goals?

3. What is the mysterious backstory and heritage of Cobb Darg, Mayor of the City of Irongate? I'm aware of the article on CF saying he is a gold dragon but there is nothing official.

I'm interested to know if you have any GH mysteries? I would welcome speculation on answers to mysteries as well.
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:54 am  
    Re: Greatest Mysteries of Greyhawk

Phalastar wrote:
    Hi team, I've been re-reading a lot of GH material lately. Some parts are deliberately left vague to promote a sense of mystery and this is one of the fun parts of GH. It is not all resolved and you can make it what you want to make it.

So my question is - What do you think the great mysteries of Greyhawk are?

1. What happened to Prince Thrommel - lots of speculation but nothing definitive right?

2. Who or what is Philidor the Blue? Where is he from and what are his goals?

3. What is the mysterious backstory and heritage of Cobb Darg, Mayor of the City of Irongate? I'm aware of the article on CF saying he is a gold dragon but there is nothing official.

I'm interested to know if you have any GH mysteries? I would welcome speculation on answers to mysteries as well.

What is the Great Stone Face?
    Is there really a lost city of the Suel in the Suss Forest?
    Who was at the Battle of Emridy Meadows?
    How many Drow cities are under the Flanaess?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:34 pm  

What happened to Prince Thrommel - lots of speculation but nothing definitive right?

Wasn’t this answered in ToEE?

Kwint
    GreySage

Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:52 pm  

We know what happened to Thrommel—he's in a coffin in the Inky Chamber beneath the Temple of Elemental Evil, disguised as a vampire—but not why. Who were his kidnappers? What were their aims? Was it Mordenkainen, fearing for the Balance should Good grow too strong? Iuz, keen to reduce the power of the good lands on his border? The Scarlet Brotherhood? Nyrond? Gary Gygax, in Oerth Journal #12, said "The Scarlet Brotherhood enacted the deed but they were in the employ of Nyrond," but that is a very complicated answer and I'm not sure it's the best one.

As for other mysteries:

- What is the Walker (from Ivid the Undying) and what is the purpose of the stone monoliths that have sprung up at nexal points along the magical web he is building around Mentrey?

- Who were the nine demigods imprisoned beneath Castle Greyhawk?

- What happened to St. Benedor of the Ashen Hand?

- What did Calandryen of the Timeless Tree (in The Marklands) mean when she said "Great magic is afoot which you know nothing about?"

- Are the Lays of Bar Strannach (from Ivid the Undying) true prophecy? What do they mean?

- Who is the Spectre (from Ivid the Undying) and did he really witness the Invoked Devastation?

- What is the secret of the Mages of Power? What is Power Magic and how is it different from normal magic?

- Who is the mysterious "Uncle" of House Maure?

- What is the purpose and destiny of Stillsong (Monster Mythology) and why is Water Lion seeking him?

- What vanished people created Nerull's Bane (Iuz the Evil)?

- What are the Soul Husks? (Iuz the Evil)

- Who stole the Cup and Talisman of Al'Akbar and why? Was it really the Valley Elves?

- What caused the Land of Black Ice to form?
    GreySage

Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:07 am  

What is Iggwilv up to?

Did Iuz free himself from Zagyg's imprisonment, or did Robilar free him?

Who killed Ren O' the Star?

Does King Snurre Ironbelly really look like Hulk Hogan? (I saw it in a vision. Well, I dreamed it. Wink )

What is Oerthblood and what can it be used for?

What is going on in the Burning Lands?

What are the elves of the Spindrift Isles up to?

Was Rory Barbarosa a pirate, or an adventurer? Where was he from?

Can Mordenkainen be trusted?

SirXaris

Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:50 am  
    Re: Greatest Mysteries of Greyhawk

Phalastar wrote:
    ...So my question is - What do you think the great mysteries of Greyhawk are?

...What is the mysterious backstory and heritage of Cobb Darg, Mayor of the City of Irongate? I'm aware of the article on CF saying he is a gold dragon but there is nothing official....

-Discussion:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=265&highlight=

Somewhere along the line, I even created a poll about this, but I can't find it...
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:57 pm  

What is up with the elves in general?

The LGG's entry on the Valley of the Mage describes how a lot of the valley elves left the Valley and unloaded a collection of scrolls, an oaken chest and some mysterious words on the Duke of Geoff, without describing what any of them said or contained. And what happened to all those things after the fall of Geoff to the giants?

Just what are the People of the Testing seeking, and why did they need to seize control of the Spindrift Isles and drive away the elven rulers of the northern isles? Why would they murder Queen Yolande's consort? For an organization seemingly dedicated to a CG goddess, they're doing some really dubious things.

And are the People's activities connected to the mysterious disappearance of the valley elf royalty?

Ogon Tillit is a cleric, the ruler of a nation of clerics, so why haven't the wounds he suffered in Tenh healed?

What is the Horned Society up to, if it's as widespread as Mordenkainen fears?

The LGG alludes to an old evil in what is now Blackmoor from long before the coming of Iuz or even the Great Migrations, but what exactly is that evil?

Coming up with non-canon answers to these mysteries is also one of the most fun parts of fleshing out Greyhawk for me. A number of my own ideas have come from explaining those mysteries, such as the idea of the One True King reuniting the fractured elven race, or the Black Ice being the prison where Dread Tharizdun's minions are trapped.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:08 am  

CruelSummerLord wrote:
    ...Ogon Tillit is a cleric, the ruler of a nation of clerics, so why haven't the wounds he suffered in Tenh healed? ...

-I thought LG turned it into a slow-motion assassination thru' poisoning?

CruelSummerLord wrote:
    ...The LGG alludes to an old evil in what is now Blackmoor from long before the coming of Iuz or even the Great Migrations, but what exactly is that evil?...

-I always assumed that was eiter the Egg of Coot, or the ancients who created the mechanical City of the Gods...
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:26 pm  

jamesdglick wrote:

-I thought LG turned it into a slow-motion assassination thru' poisoning?

I didn't follow LG, so I wouldn't know. I explained it by having Panshazek the Vile infect Tillit with a demonic parasite that's killing him from the inside. Clerical spells can only slow it down, as stopping it requires Panshazek's death. The Pale put a 10,000 gold glory price on his head, double that for followers of the Blinding Light. Unless Panshazek is found and killed, Tillit is worm food by Richfest at the latest.

jamesdglick wrote:

-I always assumed that was eiter the Egg of Coot, or the ancients who created the mechanical City of the Gods...

For me the ancient evil was the presence of Dread Tharizdun's minions trapped beneath the Black Ice. I also found an explanation for the Oerthmagic, which is used to keep the Black Ice intact and keep the Dark Lord's minions from running amuck. My own non-mechanical take on the City of the Gods is that it's a literal City of the Gods, a place created by many different gods and filled with many different divine minions as a vanguard against the Dark Lord's minions and attempts to free them.

The Egg of Coot is believed to either be one of Dread Tharizdun's minions that somehow escaped being imprisoned, which is why it's come here, or one of the fiendish creatures that the Dark Lord unwittingly created. Lower planar fiends were all created by a solar letting himself be eaten by Dread Tharizdun to weaken him long enough to be imprisoned. The Dark Lord became so sick from eating the solar that he vomited up all the devils, demons, daemons and demodands that plague the multiverse to the present day.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: