JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Tolstoff Keep: the upstairs
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Tolstoff Keep: the upstairs
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:19 pm  
    Tolstoff Keep: the upstairs

Tolstoff Keep, which appeared in Exemplars of Evil, last year appeared as a free download in the e-Dragon #30, as a hi-res image:

https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/dragon/30/DRA30_Tolstoff1.jpg

and some location maps (about halfway down the page):

https://dnd.dragonmag.com/2020/02/22/maps-of-the-month-eberron-tolstoff-keep-and-halaster-blackcloaks-undermountain/content.html

Nowhere is detailed the second floor of the keep, and since the PCs in my Age of Worms campaign will be raiding this place soon (located near the Mistmarsh and the camp of Wavenair), I need to know what's on the second floor.

1) Has anyone created a second floor for their own campaign that they could share or tell me about?
    or
    2) Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to create a reasonably good second floor that passes muster?

It appears in the main fortress the only way upstairs is the staircase in area #8. Does that kind of suggest that the second floor might not be all that big—maybe just overtop areas 2 & 7? Or would it be big enough to cover all of the area between the three area 9's (NW, SW, SE)?

Would be grateful for any ideas here or, especially, some little map I could just crib for the purpose, as I am no mapper.
    GreySage

Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:42 pm  
    Re: Tolstoff Keep: the upstairs

edmundscott wrote:
    It appears in the main fortress the only way upstairs is the staircase in area #8. Does that kind of suggest that the second floor might not be all that big—maybe just overtop areas 2 & 7? Or would it be big enough to cover all of the area between the three area 9's (NW, SW, SE)?

Arguably, those stairs go down into the catacombs, not up onto a second floor. I'm not sure how else you would get to the catacombs. I'm not sure there's a second floor at all. The towers (9) have their own stairs, and each must have their own second floors, and the walkways (10) seem to connect the tower second floors.

But the keep in between might well be one story, with stairs leading to the catacombs below.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:24 pm  

Those stairs definitely go up; it's called out in the encounter key in Exemplars of Evil.

The only way to the catacomb is a so-thin-you-can-very-nearly-miss it staircase in the secret passage labelled TE3.

Exemplars also says, "The keep—the structure within the walls—is two stories tall, though only the main floor is shown on the map. The labyrinthine upper level consists of bedrooms, meeting rooms, and privies, none of which is especially noteworthy—though there are a number of secret passages, isolated rooms, and odd architectural features."
    GreySage

Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:21 pm  

It'd probably be easiest to just make the second floor identical to the first, then. I'd give the chapel a high ceiling, so that it's as tall as both stories put together, and just give the rest of the second story the same floorplan.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:58 pm  

Per Exemplars of Evil
    'The labyrinthine upper level consists of bedrooms, meeting rooms, and privies, none of which is especially noteworthy - though there are a number of secret passages, isolated rooms, and odd architectural features. Three turrets rise another 20 feet above the second floor, overlooking the outer wall by at least 10 feet.'

Hope that helps.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: