JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The change in Cyndor's origin
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The change in Cyndor's origin
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat May 14, 2022 6:58 pm  
    The change in Cyndor's origin

In the Guide to the WoG (1983), From the Ashes (1992), and the Player's Guide to Greyhawk (1998), the god Cyndor's origin is listed as "C" (meaning "common in most areas").

The article on Cyndor in Polyhedron #140 makes no mention of his origin, but does indicate that he is a sometime ally/sometime foe of Lendor, the Suloise god of time.

The Polyhedron article also states that Cyndor "is in a state of continuous prose, as he records every act of every creature throughout every moment of its existence on Oerth." That seems consistent with his "common" origin (i.e., all peoples on Oerth would have a shared or similar god of time/fate--perhaps with regional naming variations--who records the fate of all, and not just those of people from a particular race or ethnocultural background).

The LGG (2000) echoes that statement... but made Cyndor a specifically Oeridian god. I suspect that the authors of the LGG wanted to provide a rationale for why there might be two gods of time in Greyhawk (three if you count Istus), and that the easiest thing to do was to make Cyndor of Oeridian origin since Lendor was Suloise.

That said, during the series on the Gods of the Oeridians and Gods of the Suel that appeared in Dragon Mag (issues 67-71, 86-92), Cyndor is not associated with either pantheon.

Does anyone have other insights into Cyndor's origin changing from "common" to Oeridian?

Did I miss an official errata somewhere?
    GreySage

Mon May 16, 2022 8:08 am  
    Re: The change in Cyndor's origin

TwiceBorn wrote:
    The LGG (2000) echoes that statement... but made Cyndor a specifically Oeridian god.

Yes, the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer did that with a number of common deities. They made Myhriss Flan, they made Bleredd Oeridian, they made Lirr Oeridian, they made Cyndor Oeridian, and Joramy is perhaps implied to be Flan (as the estranged lover of Zodal).

Quote:
    I suspect that the authors of the LGG wanted to provide a rationale for why there might be two gods of time in Greyhawk

It's not just Cyndor. They seem to have thought that a solely common designation was unacceptably impercise for some deities, though the origins of Saint Cuthbert, Boccob, Ehlonna, Incabulos, Trithereon, and Olidammara remain vague.

I don't personally agree with this, and treat earlier sources as more authoritative in this respect. I don't have any special insight into the decisions.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu May 19, 2022 3:29 pm  

Thanks for taking the time to chime in, Rasgon.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: