ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - iuz and his clerics
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition
    iuz and his clerics
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:33 pm  
    iuz and his clerics

Hi there

According to D&D 5 rules, a demigod cannot transmit spells to his priests.
    I re-read OAR 6 Temple of Elemental Evil by GG: while some priests can relate to the Elder Elemental God and Zuggtmoy, others relate directly to Iuz. And Carl Sargent's AD&D 2 mods give it a very high level clergy. What if we want to follow the rules?
    The simplest answer is to say: "Let's break the rules! Let's keep our intermediary gods and priests to our demigods". A little too simplistic for my taste.
    In OAR 6, St Cuthbert is a minor rank god. The writers follow the rules. But no indication for high-ranking clerics. Iuz ?
    I found a very interesting element in D&D Beyond

"Can a cleric have no god?
    Clerics are driven by their faith; that faith gives them the connection to the source of magic that they need. Sometimes the source will be a divinity, and sometimes that faith will be in a divinity, but neither is mechanically necessary. The narrative point is up to the DM. No, a cleric doesn't need to worship a god".13 août 2020

I was re-reading your writings on the Bakluni and Suloise pantheons. I'm very close to the bakluni pantheon. But for the Suloise gods? How does a pantheon have three sea gods without access to the sea? I work on the Summerian pantheon but this latest piece of information opens up new possibilities.
    One can imagine that some of the gods depicted in the 1983 box are young gods worshiped after the Rain of Fire and the migration. Some have experienced barbarism and have adopted barbarian gods. Slerotin found them on the edge of the empire and led the twelve tribes into Flanaesse. Some ended up in the Thillonrian peninsula, others ended up in islands and adopted maritime gods...
    Thank you for your opinions

Jacques
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:14 am  

What if, in the framework of 5e, his clergy are really more like warlocks?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:36 am  

TregMallin wrote:
    What if, in the framework of 5e, his clergy are really more like warlocks?

Yes, in part. This makes the character free. And lets explain an LE alignement Cleric of Pholtus, simply by misunderstanding his philosophy. Then the clerics are watched over by the clergy and the high-level clergy by the supernatural followers of the god.
    The possibilities of play are more important.
    Jacques
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:49 am  
    Re: iuz and his clerics

Docjacques wrote:
    I was re-reading your writings on the Bakluni and Suloise pantheons. I'm very close to the bakluni pantheon. But for the Suloise gods? How does a pantheon have three sea gods without access to the sea? I work on the Summerian pantheon but this latest piece of information opens up new possibilities.

One can imagine that some of the gods depicted in the 1983 box are young gods worshiped after the Rain of Fire and the migration. Some have experienced barbarism and have adopted barbarian gods. Slerotin found them on the edge of the empire and led the twelve tribes into Flanaesse. Some ended up in the Thillonrian peninsula, others ended up in islands and adopted maritime gods...

The emergence of some (all?) Suloise maritime deities/faiths post-migrations would make sense. Another possibility is that the borders of the old Imperium stretched farther than the present day Sea of Dust, i.e., it had territory or colonies bordering the Nipponei and/or Pearl Seas that allowed the Suel to engage in maritime trade, warfare, fishing, etc., and hence to worship gods of the sea. Or perhaps the peoples who would eventually establish the Suel Imperium migrated north from the southern coasts and settled or conquered the lands we normally associate with the Imperium?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:22 am  
    Re: iuz and his clerics

TwiceBorn wrote:
    Docjacques wrote:

The emergence of some (all?) Suloise maritime deities/faiths post-migrations would make sense. Another possibility is that the borders of the old Imperium stretched farther than the present day Sea of Dust, i.e., it had territory or colonies bordering the Nipponei and/or Pearl Seas that allowed the Suel to engage in maritime trade, warfare, fishing, etc., and hence to worship gods of the sea. Or perhaps the peoples who would eventually establish the Suel Imperium migrated north from the southern coasts and settled or conquered the lands we normally associate with the Imperium?

This validates AnaKeri's maritime invasion attempt.
    It could remain an untouched port of the Rain of Colorless Fire. Interesting !
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: