JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Well of Many Worlds
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Well of Many Worlds
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:27 pm  
    Well of Many Worlds

I'm looking for any published adventure including a well of many worlds. I'd prefer a Greyhawk adventure, of course, but will settle for what exists.

The only adventure I know of off-hand is a Living Greyhawk scenario, SHE4-7 Matter of Trust.

Is there anything else?
    GreySage

Mon May 01, 2023 8:39 pm  

It's not an adventure, but Classic Treasures Revisited for 1e Pathfinder has story hooks, lore, and variant versions of the Well of Many Worlds that might prove useful.

You could probably use many adventures that feature a portal to another plane (EX1 and EX2, for example) and swap whatever generic portal or gate is there for a well of many worlds.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon May 01, 2023 9:56 pm  

In spite of its misleading title and cover image, the Planescape adventure anthology Well of Worlds does not contain a well of many worlds.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue May 02, 2023 10:23 am  

Wow, that is a true paucity of many-worlded wells. I'd have thought a magic item dating back at least to the 1e DMG would've shown up more.

Is anyone familiar enough with the Anthony Huso adventures to say whether he includes one anywhere? While not Greyhawk, they are very Greyhawk in spirit.
    GreySage

Wed May 03, 2023 8:37 am  

The randomness of the item seems designed to derail any specific plans a DM might have, which is fine if you're comfortable with winging it but is the opposite of how published adventures generally work.

The best way to use it might be to have a previous owner scatter MacGuffins throughout the planes, leaving a journal with instructions, perhaps vague, encoded, or in the form of riddles, allusions, or other puzzles, for exactly where to place the well in order to get to them. Perhaps an adversary also has a well of many worlds and a journal, or has the previous owner captive, and it's a race to see who gets to the MacGuffins first.

The 5e version eschews a random table for the idea that the well simply goes wherever the DM wants, which is easier to plan for.
    CF Admin

Mon May 08, 2023 8:11 pm  

From Jason's index:

Quote:

Well of Many Worlds
    - Gate (Planar) Dungeon Masters Guide, AD&D 1e 155
    - Well of Many Worlds Gate (Planar) The Isle of Dread: Original Adventures Reincarnated #02, D&D 5e 206
    - Well of Many Worlds Item Dungeon Masters Guide, AD&D 1e 155
    - Well of Many Worlds Item The Isle of Dread: Original Adventures Reincarnated #02, D&D 5e 196, 204, 205, 206

Allan.

Tue May 09, 2023 7:06 pm  

Thanks, Grodog. I'll have to check out my copy of the new Isle of Dread—weird that such an item was added in the new version.

I've found a few more in some obscure places:

• A Chase Through the Planes (DMsGuild Adventure)
    • Equinox (Wizards' website adventure)
    • Book of Vile Darkness (4e)
    • dragon #171: well is an item in the larger table for bag of beans

It also seems possible the item is referenced or included in two Pathfinder adventure path adventures:

• Reign of Winter path?
    • Legacy of Fire vol. 3?
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: