JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - My own take on things
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    My own take on things
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:36 am  
    My own take on things

Finally got a chance to visit Greytalk last and wanted to say that for the brief time I was able to be there I enjoyed it very much. Sadly the wife demanded that she use the computer and told me to get sorry backside off Mad .

After leaving I was having coffee and thinking about the years Ive played AD&D and Greyhawk in paticular. I got my start in Greyhawk in 81. At the time I didnt realize that there was any thing else but Greyhawk. Home campains were far in the future for me. My first module was Hommlet. It was exciting. I hated Otis ( My Brudder gave it to me). Really wanted the shank him at one point.

As time went by my friends and I bought other modules, made up our own adventures and bought Dragon religously so we coould see what else was going on. Our focus though was always Greyhawk. Then FR came out. Pretty cool for paperbooks but we had no intrest in playing in it. Aside, I have to say Ive always enjoyed the FR books. They can be fun and a pretty good read depending on the writer.

We noticed at that point that FR seemed to be taking a larger part of Dragon.. Where was our Greyhawk? Time went on . We graduated, still played as often as we could and still do today.

2e came out and to us it really wasnt a big deal because we ignored or changed half of what was written as rules anyways.. THAC0? Who cared. RT? yeah we might think about it.

Then the 90's rolled in. The internet and AOL. I never was involved in the old AOL Greyhawk discussion days. By that time I was full time police officer and didnt have the time for computers. I tried to keep up with things when I could and my friends and I still played when the time was there. I missed most of what happened with Greyhawk at that time. The arguements, the rants, the bitterness in many ways. Hell I still thought TSR owned AD&D Laughing .

Time passed, I came onto the internet looked around and lo and behold I found Canonfire in 04. I read through back posts, took links to other sites. Googled everything Greyhawk. I read of the earlier battle, the hostile feelings that had been there. 3e had come out then 3.5. Wow things changed faster than ever. I looked into the newer editions and found I didnt understand them. I also found that I didnt want to Wink . I would stick with my old ways.

I do buy the newer stuff that relates to Greyhawk and turn it into my older version for my enjoyment. I try now to keep abreast of the changing times.

Canon had become the buzz word since I found my way back. Another thing I didnt understand. Again I looked into every thing I could find on the subject. The whole arguement about what was canon and what wasnt didnt impress me. I thought and still do that the whole concept of it was kind of silly. Some people villified writers for thier products while other defended them whole heartedly. I dint care. I bought them, read them and if I liked them I used them. If I didnt then they didnt get used.

The upshot of this long rambling post is that I decided after last night that Im glad I found Greyhawk all those years ago. Im glad I still enjoy the game after all these years. Hell you cant ask for anything more than that can you.

Maraudar
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:54 am  

Maraudar the same here started in 1980 played in Greyhawk moved to Krynn and ended up in FR. Then after 16 years found my way back to Greyhawk. Also I kind of dropped out of the system during the 90s and was surprised how much had changed when I got back into it in the late 90s. I do agree with you also on some of your other points, like the cannon thing. But I will say it feels good to be back. Smile
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: