JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Iuz the Evil - contents
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Iuz the Evil - contents
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:02 pm  
    Iuz the Evil - contents

Calling all Greyhawk Community - I have an opportunity to purchase a copy of Iuz the Evil, but the seller advises that it comes without a poster map. Both of us are unclear as to whether this product ever came with a large colour map originally. Can anyone confirm this one way or the other please.

Much apreciated
    Novice

Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:29 pm  

The short answer is "Yes!"

Iuz The Evil came with a poster map entitled "The Lands of Iuz" depicting the demigod's holdings and surrounding territories. Numerous fortresses in Furyondy, Nyrond, and the Pale are shown, as are several important (IMO) adventure locales, such as the caverns of the Soul Husks, the Road of Skulls, Gibbering Gate, and the Defiled Glades of the Vesve Forest. That having been said, there are many general geographical descriptions of locations included in the book itself, which could allow you to approximate their positions.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:47 pm  

I just checked, and the PDF that RPGNow sells of Iuz the Evil doesn't contain the poster map either. I was hoping that'd be a good alternative for ya.

For the record, The Marklands also came with a big poster map. Good luck!!

I didn't design the world,
    I merely facilitated its creation
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:02 am  

The Iuz map is pretty, but I'm thinking the new map from Paizo in Dungeon is going to cover 60-70% of the sites.

I would buy it without the map but probably not for more than like 25 bucks or so.
    CF Admin

Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:04 am  
    SVGames

The pdf version of Iuz the Evil available at SVGames.com does have the poster map for the supplement. It is broken up into eight pages, but it's complete. And, it's only $4.95, so you can print what you need from the book without tampering with your original. That's what I did. I don't touch my original booklet or map (for many of my GH items).

Anyway, you may want to explore that option.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:00 am  

Wow, I gave up on SVGames updating their PDFs a long time ago. I must have bought mine prior to the addition of the poster map, because I double-checked it prior to my post.

FYI for Yeoman, I *think* RPGNow uses the same PDFs as SVGames, and I thought SVGames was going to stop selling them. Guess I'll need to try to get the updated version. :-)

Wonder if they ever fixed tAB...

Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:25 am  

Thanks for all the advice everyone Happy . It will certainly help me negotiatethe price I am realistically willing to pay. I struggled to find any PDF downloads on SVGames site when I looked a couple of days ago, but I may well be missing the obvious..... I'll give RPGNow a shot.

Many thanks,
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:56 am  

ClobberinTime wrote:
    The Iuz map is pretty, but I'm thinking the new map from Paizo in Dungeon is going to cover 60-70% of the sites.

I would buy it without the map but probably not for more than like 25 bucks or so.

That being said, if you can find a copy of Iuz the Evil with the poster map for a reasonable price (good luck--it took me two years), it's well worth having. I prefer the older Greyhawk maps to the new Piazo maps in on thing: scale. The older Greyhawk maps from products like Iuz the Evil, The Marklands, and From the Ashes show their areas more clearly and colorfully than the Piazo maps. Don't get me wrong--get those maps too: they are well worth it! But when it comes to visual reference during our Greyhawk games, I am much happier looking at the older maps than the newer ones.

Just my two cents.

Theala
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:26 pm  

Happy to say I have struck a deal at about $20 for the book, and found the PDF at RPGNow.com! All in all a good trade I think, especially as the item is in excellent condition in the photo. Thanks for the pointers.

Out of interest, how do you view the book? I wasn't greatly impressed with City of Skulls, but may warm to it with the setting background..
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:41 pm  

City of Skulls was totally impossible to run without Iuz, so it should vastly improve now that you have stats for the major NPC's. I liked the book, but bought it right before 3ed came out and My PCs were already too high level for most of the Iuz's flunkies to cause them much damage, but were too weak to take on the evil one himself.

Then I kind of quit playing Greyhawk. What we really really need to do is get a bunch of people together split up the major NPC's and adventures and upgrade everything. Iuz was for like 25th level characters in 2ed and there is a big gap in adventures to get there.

How is the LGG I have been thinking about buying a copy???
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:57 pm  

The LGG is great, packed with info, but I've heard complaints that it reads like a textbook (I loved it).

You can buy it almost-new on the Amazon Marketplace for $5.00 + shipping -- use the link on the left side of your screen to help support Canonfire!! How can you beat that? Wink

I got a copy this way, received it in about a week, and it's in pretty good shape. Certainly not mint, but a lot better than my original is by now. My only complaint is that the map seems to have been re-folded wrong, so part of it was sticking out of the book and got bent up a bit. But it's the same map as the D&D Gazeteer, just with hexes added.

Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:23 pm  

Yeoman wrote:
    Happy to say I have struck a deal at about $20 for the book, and found the PDF at RPGNow.com! All in all a good trade I think, especially as the item is in excellent condition in the photo. Thanks for the pointers.

Out of interest, how do you view the book? I wasn't greatly impressed with City of Skulls, but may warm to it with the setting background..

City of Skulls was OK. The swarms of evil fiends running around make it kinda pointless to adventure in IMHO. People tend to forget these things running around Dorakka are [italic]smart[/italic]. They're not just moving targets. They think, they plan, they scheme. Only an idiot just walks into the Lands of the Old One thinking he's going to take on even ONE of the Boneheart and come away unscathed. Even Mordenkainen would think twice about it.

Bear in mind, Iuz's mortal enemy St. Cuthbert hasn't been able to beat him. Zagig had to TRICK the Old One in order to capture him--he didn't do it by brute force.

The Iuz the Evil Sourcebook was much more informative--has much better information on Iuz's overall powers, weaknesses, goals, and resources, as well as those of his major flunkies and political intrigues that the players have the potential to manipulate (The Fountain of Pelor adventure availabor online takes advantage of this).

You can make a great adventure out of the City of Skulls--but you have to emphasize the power of the Old One, the oppressive evil and danger of the place to create tension among your players. If they go in with the "I'll just bust down the door and kick his ****" attitude, then the adventure will be just another dungeon crawl, and unmemorable at best, suicide at worst if you enforce the genre and hand them their heads on a platter.

Theala
    CF Admin

Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:48 pm  
    My Two Cents

Theala_Sildorian wrote:
    You can make a great adventure out of the City of Skulls...

One of the tools Sargent provided to help make City of Skulls work was the Notoriety Score. If used well, it can create the tension and sense of danger that the adventure can potentially engender. Pretentious, imprudent characters can certainly break City of Skulls. But if used properly, I think the Notoriety Score can compel players with their heart in the game to play smart and careful.

Regarding the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer - everyone will find something they like and can use in it. I like every page of it. And, you are best served if you sit down and read it cover to cover. The total story of the Flanaess is written a littie bit in each gazetteer entry. I think the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer is a must have.

Anyway, just a few thoughts in support of the other great commetns above.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:59 pm  
    Iuz the Evil - Contents

I ran a 1 year evil campaign based almost entirely on the contents of this supplement last year and partially into 2005. Purchased as a PDF with the maps. Even if you didn't have the maps, you could wing it with the new WoG map.

My adventure "Fiend's Embrace" drew heavily from Carl Sargent's treatment of the Cold Marshes. The evil NPCs were actually my players' characters. You can imagine how excited they were to see their characters immortalized in print.

Anyway, an excellent source book and a must have for the serious Grey Hawker.

P.S. Greyson, I wonder how many people get the 1 Nephi reference at the bottom of your posts. Are you an RM gamer like me, I wonder? Wink
    CF Admin

Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:51 am  
    Iuz the Evil - Contents

HandofIuz wrote:
    I ran a 1 year evil campaign based almost entirely on the contents of this supplement last year and partially into 2005. Purchased as a PDF with the maps. Even if you didn't have the maps, you could wing it with the new WoG map.

This is an example that demonstrates how good of a sourcebook Iuz the Evil is. A year long compaign is pretty a decent amount of gaming, and I'm sure you (or anyone else) can wring even more from Iuz the Evil.

HandofIuz wrote:
    P.S. Greyson, I wonder how many people get the 1 Nephi reference at the bottom of your posts. Are you an RM gamer like me, I wonder?
    LOL, Stephen. Yes I am. We're a rare breed, it seems.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: