JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Art of the World of Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Art of the World of Greyhawk
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:10 am  
    Art of the World of Greyhawk

I've been reading one of the other threads and it was commenting on the artwork in Dungeon recently that has featured some Greyhawk items. I know some people out there don't like the"new" 3rd edition artwork, but I have to say I quite like it, and see no distinction as far as artwork goes.

So I thought I would ask people to nominate their favourite pieces of Greyhawk artwork, mention the source, and say why you like it so much. Then people can go look it up and get re-inspired all over again.

I'll start off with a couple.

This might not be popular, but Wayne Reynolds depiction of St. Cuthbert in Dieties and Demi-gods. It is exactly what I expected St. Cuthbert to look like. Wayne has a real talent for poses and action stances and the one in this picture suits the subject matter beautifully. (I'm a major Wayne Reynolds fan - he draws it, I'll buy it - publishers take note).

Secondly, rather than people, how about landscape. I would really love to pay a bunch of artists to draw some of the geographical features of Greyhawk, including the cities. Somehow I find artwork of these features somehow makes Greyhawk a little more real. An example I really loved was with the article in Dungeon on the City of Hardby. Issue 109 page 92 has a two page spread featuring a picture of the city of Hardby. The statues, lighthouses and surrounding hills really made the city come alive for me.

Thirdly (yeah I can't count) - I just thought of another. Original DMG, page 193 - Emirikol the Chaotic. That was great to. Chaotic mage riding horseback through the city streets, blasting people- nasty. But to my mind a classic Greyhawk image.

Anyone else got any favourite pieces of Greyhawk artwork?
    Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:58 am  

I too am a Wayne Reynolds fan big time. His pictures of Iggwilv, Grazzt, Eli Tomorast are among his best. Someone different off the cuff would be Ken Frank. He is an little celebrated artist of the Sargent era. His basic black and white line art to me showed the style and grim face of the Greyhawk Wars and its aftermath quite well. His art has an almost woodcut-etching look to it instead of the nice perfect painted pseudo-realism found in color art.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:51 pm  

Regarding Deities & Demigods 3E only, my compliments go to Matt Cavotta, who depicted wonderfully Wee Jas, Boccob and "When My song is finished your purse will be gone" Olidammara :-D

Victor Caminha
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:24 pm  

Most of the Greyhawk deities pics in the original dragon writeups are great. (Erythnul is in the 2E PHB too, Heironeous, Hextor, Heward,... )

I also like Daniel R. Horne's: Koschtschie very much.

Anyone know where one get more of Horne's work? ...or where to find the 1E Deities & Demigods pics from Dragon mag?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:07 pm  

Mortellan - yeah he does great stuff. You're also right about the black and white artwork having a particular feel. I also noticed that WR did some black and white stuff in some of the earlier edition books.

Wykthor - totally agree. Wasn't sure who the big M signature belongs to, but Matt does great artowrk as well. Easily some of my favourite pictures from that book, along with WRs.

Thanael - Daniel Horne did some great work. No idea where he is at these days. His cover art on Dragon was top knotch - do you remember the one with the ranger and the undead frost giant? Not much Greyhawk specific work as I recall though.

Any other Greyhawk artwork worth commenting on?
    Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:29 pm  

Erol Otus. Most unique fantasy artist I've ever seen in D&D. Less is more in his case. Strikingly archaic, stylized renderings with a distinctive palette of color as well.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:53 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    I too am a Wayne Reynolds fan big time. His pictures of Iggwilv, Grazzt, Eli Tomorast are among his best. Someone different off the cuff would be Ken Frank. He is an little celebrated artist of the Sargent era. His basic black and white line art to me showed the style and grim face of the Greyhawk Wars and its aftermath quite well. His art has an almost woodcut-etching look to it instead of the nice perfect painted pseudo-realism found in color art.

The cover of Dungeon #121 featuring Iggvilv and Grazzt is one of the coolest covers I've seen either Dungeon or Dragon do in quite some time. Great pic.

I tend NOT to like a lot of the cover and interior art of older D&D products--most of it is shoddily done, IMHO. But the pic of Emrikol the Chaotic sprang instantly to mind when another user mentioned it--it IS memorable, and classic.

I miss the Robin Wood covers from Dragon--she did some of the best covers. The cover of the dragon listening to the harper is a favorite of mine. But then, I'm a sucker for a dragon and a harp Happy

Theala
    Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:43 am  

Rebecca Guay (?) She did the art for the Oeridian God articles in Dragon back around before the switch from 2E to 3E. Her style is very much like D'Terlizzi's-a sketchy but vibrant drawing.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:29 am  

Phalastar wrote:
    Thanael - Daniel Horne did some great work. No idea where he is at these days. His cover art on Dragon was top knotch - do you remember the one with the ranger and the undead frost giant? Not much Greyhawk specific work as I recall though.

Female Ranger with a bow? That one was way cool. I copied it from the Monster Compendium.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: