Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Zarus in Greyhawk: Spinning off the Joramy's Wrath Thread...
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Zarus in Greyhawk: Spinning off the Joramy's Wrath Thread...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue May 17, 2005 5:47 pm  
    Zarus in Greyhawk: Spinning off the Joramy's Wrath Thread...

So, with the mass destruction caused throughout Keoland and other nations in the region. I thought that perhaps clerics of Zarus, the god of humans (he's NE by the way, you can read about him in Races of Destiny) would perhaps move into the broken, depressed lands. There they'd aid the rebuilding, exclude the members of other temples (which should be easy since those temples are now wiped off the face of Oerth), and try to whip up hatred towards the local demihuman populations.

What do you guys think? Is there a place here for Zarus?

Wed May 18, 2005 2:57 am  

In my campaign, Zarus has just re-emerged from a long period of dormancy. The other races all have a designated god-head but not the humans. Long ago, Zarus left the other human gods (his siblings) and entered a deep sleep (effectively removing himself from the memory of mankind, except for some of the greater gods' high priests and their secret texts). He did this to prove to them that without his unifying presence and intra-divine leadership that the humans would suffer. The Hateful Wars and the Greyhawk Wars would be prime examples (as would the multitude of recently ascended hero gods taking their slice of the divine power supply -- there's only so many truely devout followers' energies to get).

Now on to the volcano/tsunami idea (and see the last paragraph). It's simple -- he's back, and he's needed on a grand scale. He's known as Zarus, the Unifier, and he's no longer going to take a back seat. Humanity suffered because of his pride and self-importance, and he's here to correct it with or without his siblings approval (and d@mn the other races altogether). But, his sleep and injured pride have humbled him a bit since his re-emergence and his alignment has shifted towards a less self-serving style. I suggest LN (E) -- he's going to unite humanity and get his fence-sitting siblings off their duff to follow and help him. It's his turn now.

What this will mean is uncertain, perhaps the human gods will be thinned out and the "power" shared less. His re-emergence brings new questions for mankind and it's allied races. He could be a far worse doom than any physical catastrophe.

If you still do not like the idea of changing his human-supremicist ways (alignment), then the volcano was his "yawn & stretch". It was his place of dormancy.

Skech
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed May 18, 2005 5:58 am  

I love Zarus and Races of Destiny for that matter. Happy

IMC, Zarus is worshipped extensively in the Utter West beyond the Celestial Imperium - south of the Chainmail States and The Empire of Lynn. He is the chief diety of the Tharquish (sp).

Wed May 18, 2005 7:10 am  
    Disagree

I politely disagree, Zarus is not a part of my game, and in general I think him the poorest addition to Greyhawk lore since Castle Greyhawk. However, I also dont think any of the other Human Dieties would fill the void.

If I pursued the Great Flood model, I would have the gods of the Goblins, Orcs and Kobold use their huge numbers. They would start boiling out of the ground, disrupting villages, roads, trades, reinforcements. Rape, pillage and destroy.

Your characters would have to be Epic, not only in power, but in command and control ability to stem the tide of something like that. They would have to use roleplaying and true leadership to save the paltry humna realms! As I move through this is a stream of conciousness fashion, I am starting to like the potential of this! The Rise of the Huminoids.
    Master Greytalker

Wed May 18, 2005 8:11 am  

I find the presentation of Zarus to be rather offensive. Why is the racial deity of humans a blatant racist? The racial deities of elves, dwarves, gnomes, and halflings aren't. Are humans really no better than than orcs and goblins?
    I wouldn't use Zarus in a game under any circumstances.
    Master Greytalker

Wed May 18, 2005 9:20 am  

I just wonder why TPTB felt GH needed another deity, GH has never suffered from a lack of devine being as the new 201 page pdf shows pretty clearly.

Why not "flesh out" one of the many lesser known GH gods instead?

Just a thought...
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed May 18, 2005 10:16 am  

Samwise wrote:
    I find the presentation of Zarus to be rather offensive. Why is the racial deity of humans a blatant racist? The racial deities of elves, dwarves, gnomes, and halflings aren't. Are humans really no better than than orcs and goblins?

WARNING - This mini-rant is not a diatribe against any individual. Its a diatribe against the entire species in its collective, mob form.

Hi Sam,

Maybe, this is a matter of personal philosophy - how one sees the human condition - that has as much to do with matters outside Greyhawk as within.

Call me a misanthrope but -

I see human beings as essentially selfish, given over to superstition, mob instincts, and easy resort to violence, all "rationalized" through a near infinite capacity for self-delusion. Individual human beings have an infinite capacity to be other than this but humanity is highly problematic.

Man sees himself not as steward of the earth but its master. Extinction and pollution are just costs of man doing his unfettered business - gratifying his own desires with every available resource, usually to the greatest degree possible, with no thought to consequences until consequences are thrust upon him.

Superstition - the irrational belief in the unseen and unproveable - has dogged man's footsteps. Supersition has been the repeated call to violence and oppression and in the 21st Century, very little has changed. Man will often justify his selfishness by decreeing that his superstitions demand this or that in the most obviously convenient fashion. On the flip side man will sleep like a baby, believing his superstitions absolve him of any responsibility for his actions.

In groups, man is the most dangerous animal imaginable. All the best intentions of the individual are all too quickly surrendered to group think and the fashion of the moment. The mob mentality is like a tide of insanity that sweeps along otherwise thinking individuals. And one who stands before the mob? Burning. Lynching. Ostricism.

Violence is man's birthright. Peace is a temporary condition between violent episodes. History records almost nothing less. But how could it be less? Driven by heedless self-interest, riddled with superstition and bolstered by "like thinking" mobs, violence is the predictable consequence.

You asked if humans are no better than orcs and goblins. Humans are worse. They are worse because they are capable of so much more but so regularly turn their talents to destruction.

The only thing that gets mankind through the day is a near infinite capacity for self-delusion. Say it ain't so. Done. Its that easy. So many believe saying it often enough or loud enough makes it so. And if anyone too insistently bursts the bubble of self-delusion that man creates for himself, well, there is always violence. That'll shut em up - permanetly if need be. We can always justify it later. Self-delusion is the dark side of man's creativity and imagination.

Zarus is a breath of fresh air. The naked ape. Human - by any means necessary. What's the old saw? Truth will out.

Greyhawk is a fantasy and I can see the very human desire to have the fantasy be one that flatters humanity. Personally, I like the rough edge of Zarus.

END RANT

Wed May 18, 2005 10:34 am  

I prefer the gods as they stand . IMC we have exploited many of the jealousies and conflicts afforded and would not want a overlord pushing an agenda.
    Master Greytalker

Wed May 18, 2005 11:57 am  
    GVD

GVD,

I disagree on so many levels it just aint worth arguing. I hope one day you see a brighter future.

Anced.
    Master Greytalker

Wed May 18, 2005 5:32 pm  

GVD:

I don't.
    I find it nothing more than a lame assertion that taking pride in your identity is somehow wrong, at least for humans. Those demi-humans can do it, but if a human does he is bigoted scumbucket.
    If I want that kind of self-hating spew I can head on down to Union Square and wait for conspiracy theorists to set up their loudspeaker and start ranting. I definitely do not need it in my games.
    And I'll leave it at that before I go off on a mega-rant.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed May 18, 2005 7:03 pm  

Samwise wrote:
    I find it nothing more than a lame assertion that taking pride in your identity is somehow wrong, at least for humans. Those demi-humans can do it, but if a human does he is bigoted scumbucket.

Hmmm. I see we are coming at this in two different ways.

My bleak view of humanity and its performance as the dominant species on Earth allows me to find a Greater God of Humanity who is an SOB not out of order and indeed refreshing in its candor. Certainly, not everyone shares my sentiments.

You indicate that there is a fairness issue - demi-humans have pantheonic heads to which the demi-humans can look without having to "take a step back," so to speak, and that humans should have the same. Zarus certainly sees one "taking a step back."

In strict game terms, your position (as I understand it) is more grounded than mine, which is founded more in my own poor opinion of the human species as a whole.

Perhaps, Zarus should have been Neutral - allowing for the diversity of humanity in the game. I would object to any shading of Good as I don't believe, even in the game, that humanity as a whole can be described as "Good."

However, as Zarus is LE, I think there are possibilities within the game that open up.

Zarus would perhaps fit if we looked at him as a very early deity, almost a proto-deity, who arose when humanity was much more primitive and savage. As Father of Humanity, he would have had to be around when things were very primitive.

There is another alternative. Certainly, in the game, humans are capable of monstrous actions - The Twin Cataclysms, the Conquest of the Flan, the Subjugation of the Olman (by the SB) etc. If we pause here, Zarus fits, particularly if we note his antiquity, much as above. Of course, humanity is also capable of more noble actions. Astra, Zarus' wife who was created as he was by the World, could well be the other side of the coin - the Mother of Humanity could be a LG deity, even CG (opposites attract). In Zarus and Astra, we would then have equal representation for humanities capacity for good and evil.

I find this duality interesting and IMC, while keeping Zarus as Zarus, I do have Astra as an "intercessor," softening Zarus slightly.

Thoughts?

PS - Anced, thank you for you comment. Smile Don't fear, I'm not a Nihilist. Shocked I have the greatest faith in the individual and in the individual's ability to transcend humanity's worst impulses. Happy We are each released on our own recognizance, so to speak. If we do good, we have done well. Happy If everyone would do so, the world would be a better place. I might say one reason I have found myself pleased with the GH online community - it is nothing if not a collection of rugged individualists. No "group think" among GH fans. Cool Now, we just have to get everyone to be a GH fan and we're set. Wink

Wed May 18, 2005 9:34 pm  

GVDammerung wrote:
    Samwise wrote:

WARNING - This mini-rant is not a diatribe against any individual. Its a diatribe against the entire species in its collective, mob form.
    <snip>

Quite well said, GVD. I think your arguements are well thought out, well written and persuasive. There's a lot of truth in what you say. Mankind has indeed been capable of terrible things . . . and equally capable of incredibly wonderful things. I think that's why elves are sometimes so bewildered and disapproving of humans--because the pendulum swings so wildly and widely among humans.

What I like about Zarus is that he offers some clarity to the human perspective. The human pantheon in GH is generally open to a worshipper of any species. And the demihuman and nonhuman races have gods who are defineately pro their own race: Sehanine Moonbow for the elves, Gruumsh for the orcs just to name a couple. There is no promoter for humankind as a race, and Zarus is definately good for that.

As far as alignment goes . . . well. It's easy to say "well he's lawful evil, so he must be a monster." What that can really mean is a narrow frame of mind that concentrates on a specific goal or need to exclusoin of all else, regardless of the effects it has on others (evil), but working within a structure and heirarchy to accomplish ones ends--maybe manipulating the system but never working to wreck it (lawful). That's how I see Zarus. He certainly might commit atrocities against non human races--but is protective and loving of his human followers.

Theala
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed May 18, 2005 9:38 pm  

GVDammerung wrote:

There is another alternative. Certainly, in the game, humans are capable of monstrous actions - The Twin Cataclysms, the Conquest of the Flan, the Subjugation of the Olman (by the SB) etc. If we pause here, Zarus fits, particularly if we note his antiquity, much as above. Of course, humanity is also capable of more noble actions. Astra, Zarus' wife who was created as he was by the World, could well be the other side of the coin - the Mother of Humanity could be a LG deity, even CG (opposites attract). In Zarus and Astra, we would then have equal representation for humanities capacity for good and evil.

I find this duality interesting and IMC, while keeping Zarus as Zarus, I do have Astra as an "intercessor," softening Zarus slightly.

Thoughts?

Another interesting idea, and workable. Sort of like Hades and Persephone, in a way.

Theala
    Master Greytalker

Wed May 18, 2005 11:22 pm  

Well, I'm a minimalist on the diety side of things. Regardless of how cool or uncool Zarus is, I think GH has far too many gods as it is. I've adoptd hardly any of the gods added since the list in the '83 gazetteer (or the ToEE appendix). My pantheon is more like that recent article here, with Ehlonna as the chief elf diety, etc. So a god of humans makes no sense in my campaign, since I don't have a "god of elves" or whatever, either.

I prefer to have fewer gods with regional/ethnic names. So Erythnul is known as Vaprak the Destroyer among Ogres and trolls, as Laogzed to Troglodytes, etc.
    Master Greytalker

Thu May 19, 2005 5:36 am  

GVD:

My view is based on me refusing to accept guilt for having racial, ethnic, and national pride from others asserting their own racial, ethnic, and national pride. I find the concept disgusting, and I refuse to submit to it, in real life or in my games.
    If Zarus is to be a racist, LE deity, then so should Corellon, Yondalla, Garl, and Moradin. Until those "aspects" of those deities are explored, I have no use for Zarus in my game.

Vormaerin:

Be careful. Saying such things can get you labeled as a revisionist, arch-heretic. And I am not prepared to share my title!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu May 19, 2005 5:40 am  

Vormaerin wrote:
    Well, I'm a minimalist on the diety side of things. Regardless of how cool or uncool Zarus is, I think GH has far too many gods as it is. I've adoptd hardly any of the gods added since the list in the '83 gazetteer (or the ToEE appendix). My pantheon is more like that recent article here, with Ehlonna as the chief elf diety, etc. So a god of humans makes no sense in my campaign, since I don't have a "god of elves" or whatever, either.

I prefer to have fewer gods with regional/ethnic names. So Erythnul is known as Vaprak the Destroyer among Ogres and trolls, as Laogzed to Troglodytes, etc.

My GM is "trimming the fat" on deities as well. He's merged the demi-human deities with the human ones with the idea that everyone on Oearth worhips a tight group of gods who have different names among different races.

Not necessarily a bad idea. In the Tolkien mythos, the same god (Iluvatar) created the first two sentient races (elves and humans), and his "angels" among the Ainu created the dwarves and ents. Morgoth created orcs and trolls by corrupting elves and ents. And as Iluvatar told Morgoth "you can create nothing that hath not its uttermost source in me", he is ultimately behind the create of every intelligent race in Middle-Earth.

Theala
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu May 19, 2005 9:20 am  

Here is my expansion on Zarus -

The Book of Zarus
    By Glenn Vincent Dammerung (aka GVDammerung)

DM Introduction

The Greater God of Humanity, Zarus, is introduced in the Races of Destiny sourcebook from Wotc. Zarus is the first deity in the history of D&D to be accorded this status, akin to Corellon Larethian’s relationship to elves, Moradin’s relationship to dwarves, Gruumsh’s relationship to orcs, Garl Glittergold’s relationship to gnomes and Yondalla’s relationship to halflings. Zarus is the racial deity of humans.

As with all material published for the Third Edition of D&D that is not specifically called out as belonging exclusively to a particular setting, Zarus is subject to and part of the “core” or “default” Third Edition setting - Oerth - The World of Greyhawk. Races of Destiny reinforces this connection by making extended use of the Greyhawk setting throughout the book. Of course, individual Greyhawk campaigns may reject Zarus as any other element of the game.

From a Greyhawk “canon” standpoint, Zarus is as much “canon” as any number of other Third Edition innovations that use the “core” or “default” setting. Saying this, however, raises more questions than it answers with respect to the Greyhawk “canon” status of these other Third Edition innovations. That there is some “canon” relationship seems certain but the quality and precise nature of that relationship is open to much question that is beyond the scope of this article. Suffice to repeat, individual Greyhawk campaigns may reject Zarus as any other element of the game, Third Edition innovation or otherwise.

The foregoing is perhaps more significant than would otherwise be the case because Zarus aligns Lawful Evil. His faith is one that advocates human superiority over non-humans. While quick resort might be had to the term “racist,” because that term is used loosely in D&D, it is more accurate to say that Zarus is “species-ist.” The Scarlet Brotherhood is racist. Unlike the Brotherhood, Zarus’ faith makes no distinction between one human race and another. Still, this type of human chauvinism is unprecedented in other “racial” deities - elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings and even orcs.

While Zarus might be dismissed as a lost cause on account of his human chauvinism and alignment, such dismissal would both ignore “canon” in its Third Edition sense and would ignore Zarus’ potential as a highly unusual sort of deity, not heretofore seen among the ranks of Greyhawk’s divine powers.

What follows is The Book of Zarus, verbatim in a game context. It draws on the material presented in Races of Destiny and expands upon that material in a consistent way. Zarus is Lawful Evil but his evil is a relative thing - relative to his human chauvinism. As will be seen, there is a solid foundation for such chauvinism that is well established. Zarus is not as aberrational as might first be imagined. This does not, however, excuse or temporize his evil nature. Prejudice of any variety is ugly. When that prejudiced is acted upon it is not merely ugly but evil. Zarus is evil. He is, however, very purposeful in his evil. The nature of his evil is extremism in the pursuit of what otherwise might be a laudable goal - the protection and advancement of humanity. Certainly, extremism is not an unknown human characteristic. Zarus would then not be aberrational in this respect either.

Note on the Interpretation of Zarist Texts - The Scrolls of Genesis, Apotheosis, Transcendence and Commandments are orthodoxy to all Zarists. The Scroll of Corollaries is open to potentially conflicting interpretation. A fundamentalist reading of Corollaries gives them the worst possible meaning for non-humans. A more direct reading allows non-humans to be treated somewhat better, although they will always be treated as inferiors. This aspect of Corollaries is intentional to allow for doctrinal debate, schism, sectarianism and variety among Zarists. The key to understanding that even the most enlightened reading of Corollaries is chimeric is the use of the phrase “the laws of Zarus.” Liberal interpretations of Corollaries are possible but are ultimately circular. Non-humans are never going to be treated as anything approaching equals. At best, they will always be second class citizens, without any substantial rights of any true meaning.

THE BOOK OF ZARUS

GENESIS

Genesis 1:1

In the beginning, there was the World and from the World came all things. The last and most perfect creation of the World was Man. His name was Zarus and he was the first of the races of Mankind. Zarus came into the World without the hand of any being, mortal or immortal, being raised. He was created from and by the World alone.

Genesis 1:2

When the older races saw Zarus, they trembled. His grace surpassed that of the elves of Corellon Larethian. His endurance surpassed that of the dwarves of Moradin. His skills and craft surpassed that of Garl Glittergold’s gnomes and Yondalla’s halflings. His strength surpassed that of the orcs of Gruumsh. Zarus was perfect in every way. All trembled lest Zarus breed a race of his like, superior to all others, but Zarus was alone.

Genesis 1:3

In his loneliness, Zarus called out to the World from which he had sprung for a companion. The World answered. Astra was created by the World, just as Zarus had been created. She was perfect and Zarus’ mate. Now, the other races grew fearful and prayed that Mankind be destroyed. Corellon heard the prayers of the elves that Mankind be destroyed. Moradin heard the prayers of the dwarves that Mankind be destroyed. Garl Glittergold and Yondalla heard the prayers of gnome and halfling that Mankind be destroyed. Gruumsh heard the prayers of orcs that Mankind be destroyed.

Genesis 1:4

In secret, the older races plotted to poison Zarus. In a gift of wine at his wedding to Astra, the older races offered a toast to Zarus’ health with poisoned wine. Zarus knew of the jealousy of the older races but honor prevented him from refusing the treacherously offered cup. Zarus drank, and died, but the World would not allow such injustice and raised Zarus as a god as great as the chiefmost gods of the older races and greater still as would be revealed in time.

Genesis 1:5

Now a god, Zarus wiped Astra’s tears and together they sired the races of Mankind.

APOTHEOSIS

Apotheosis 2:1

Astra bore Zarus many children. In their perfection, they spread over the face of Oerth, adapting to the different lands in which they settled. Some of Zarus’ children had dark skin. Others had tan or olive skin. Still others were pale. All were the children of Zarus and formed the races of Mankind. In their seemingly infinite diversity, all honored Zarus and proved the most perfect of the creatures of Oerth, superior to all the other non-human races.

Apotheosis 2:2

In the First Epoch (Ordus Dominus Dominum or OD&D), no race could fully equal the achievements of Mankind. While an elf might grow great in the fighting arts and as well in wizardry, a human could surpass an elf in either or both. And so it was in every way; other races would prove themselves able but Man was always superior.

Apotheosis 2:3

In the First Age of the Second Epoch (Annus Dominus Dominum or AD&D), Man grew mightier still. No matter how a creature of another race might show a diversity of talents, Man would prove greater in any one or more. The best any of the lesser races could do is perhaps equal man in a single area, but Man would always prove the superior overall.

Apotheosis 2:4

In the Second Age of the Second Epoch (Annus Dominus Dominum Secundus or AD&D2E), much the same was true. While there was much ferment among the older races and attempts to better their state compared to the exalted state of Mankind, these efforts ultimately failed. Humanity remained dominant and no non-human race could equal the achievements of Man. At the end of the Second Age, a great cry went up from the non-human races and their gods again heard their pleas.

Apotheosis 2:5

In the Third Epoch ( Tertium Dominus Dominum or 3D&D), the older races were raised up to challenge Man. Now dwarves were gifted with the potential for sorcerous might. Elves might be great warriors. Even lowly gnomes, halflings and half-orcs could think to challenge Mankind’s claim to domination. Yet, the blood of Zarus flowed strongly in Man. His feats were greater. His skills were unsurpassed. Humanity was favored in all ways, while the favors newly bestowed upon the older races were more limited. The world still belonged most fully to the human race as it always had belonged to that most perfect of races - the Children of Zarus.

TRANSCENDENCE

Transcendence 3:1

Zarus guided each of the races of Man as best he could but even Zarus, greatest of the gods, grew tired. The other non-human races and their gods never stopped trying to destroy Zarus and his children. In comely guises, they sought to seduce human men and women. Abominable admixtures of humans and the more fecund of the non-human races began to be commonly seen. Humanity had turned from Zarus and he turned his back upon them. Mankind knew not of Zarus.

Transcendence 3:2

Zarus’ wife, however, took pity on humanity. Earlier elevated to godhood by the World, much as her husband, Astra determined to raise up among Mankind other gods, that Mankind might have succor until Zarus would again turn his face toward humanity. So it was that Astra gave something of her power to other beings that they might become divine. Astra was diminished but new gods arose among humanity.

Transcendence 3:3

In the Third Epoch, Zarus revealed himself anew to his people. Many did not recognize him. Many denied him. It was in the manner of things, however, that Zarus was unquestionably of Oerth. That his connection with the World was of a different sort than any seen before was attributable to the transcendent nature of Zarus’ divinity. Zarus was revealed as a god of Oerth but also the Father of Man throughout the multiverse. His status as the only greater god of Humanity is without question and settles all arguments. It is proof of Zarus’ love for his children that he grants them free will to question, even Himself.

Transcendence 3:4

Zarus’ relationship with the other gods of humanity is complicated. Zarus holds a pride of place superior to any other human god or goddess. He is the archetype. He is the realized embodiment of all that is human made divine. Zarus does not, however, ask that Mankind renounce their other deities. He cannot for these divinities have proven themselves worthy of His Children’s worship. Yet, Zarus cannot be denied. He is Humanity. In His wisdom, Zarus reveals himself to His Children slowly, without force and without demand. All shall come again to revere Zarus, for only Zarus well cares for Humanity for itself and nothing more. Zarus is the Father of Man.

COMMANDMENTS

Commandments 4:1

That Mankind shall know its place in the World and shall know how best to fulfill its destiny, Zarus has made known Commandments to be followed by all humanity alike. Those of the races of Man who reject the Commandments, thereby reject their humanity and become as any non-human race - inferior and subject to the will of Man. It the command of Zarus that all who reject their humanity be shown no mercy, even below that of the non-human, who may earn grace by serving Mankind as their natural superiors in all things.

Commandments 4:2

Thou Shalt Live. Man must survive, endure and prosper.

Commandments 4:3

Thou Shalt Conquer. Man must expand his dominion over all things.

Commandments 4:4

Thou Shalt Rule. Man must rule over all creatures and may take his ease and service from those ruled.

Commandments 4:5

Thou Shalt Be Fruitful and Multiply. Man must increase in numbers to fulfill his destiny.

Commandments 4:6

Thou Shalt Have No Others Gods Before Me. Man may worship as he pleases but must not forsake the fundamental laws of Zarus.

Commandments 4:7

Thou Shalt Honor Thy Fellows. Man must respect man, even as he strives against him in competition to prove his superior humanity.

Commandments 4:8

Thou Shalt Honor Thy Self. Man must rule and improve himself to be prepared and fit to rule others.

Commandments 4:9

Thou Shalt Make No Pacts That Bind Thee to Other Than the Human. Man shall not serve but may only be served.

Commandments 4:10

Thou Shalt Cull The Weak. Man must strengthen the race and must not suffer weakness or infirmity.

Commandments 4:11

Thou Shalt Suffer Not the Fool. Man must strengthen his mind that none may gainsay his just judgments and rule.

COROLLARIES

Corollaries 5:1

From the teachings of Zarus flow certain, inevitable consequences of natural law. These Corollaries reveal the further word of the Father of Humanity. Hold true to these principles for they are second only to the Commandments of Zarus.

Corollaries 5:2

There shall be comity among the races of Man. All humanity is equal before Zarus. No man may hold himself superior over his fellow man if both obey the laws of Zarus. Racism is a sin against Zarus. The human race must stand united to rule the non-human species.

Corollaries 5:3

There shall be comity between men and woman. Men and women are equal before Zarus. No man may hold himself superior over any woman, nor woman hold herself superior over any man, if both obey the laws of Zarus. Sexism is a sin against Zarus. The human race, men and women, must stand united to rule the non-human species.

Corollaries 5:4

No man or woman shall mate with a non-human and produce offspring. The mixing of the human and the non-human in a being is an abomination in the eyes of Zarus. The offspring of man must be human, and human alone, to fulfill Mankind’s destiny. The half-human is not human and must be culled.

Corollaries 5:5

Mankind bears the heaviest burden for only Man is fit to rule creation. It is Man’s destiny to rule and guide the non-human races. Those of the non-human races who accept the law of Zarus should be treated within the law of Zarus. Those of the non-human races who resist the law of Zarus must be culled unto the last generation.

Corollaries 5:6

No human or non-human, either of whom accepts the laws of Zarus, may be enslaved. Slavery of the followers of the laws of Zarus is a sin against Zarus. Service may be taken of the followers of the laws of Zarus but they must not be enslaved. Only the weak among Men and those who reject the laws of Zarus, human and non-human, may be rightfully enslaved to benefit and serve the will of the Children of Zarus.

Corollaries 5:7

No one shall use poison. Zarus was poisoned by the followers of the non-humans and their gods. Zarus and his Children are superior and need not resort to the use of poison. The use of poison is a sin against Zarus. Poisoners must be culled.

Corollaries 5:6

Zarus was created by the World and by the World alone. Astra, the Mother of Humanity, was created by the World and the World alone. The Children of Zarus must honor and respect the World. Those among Mankind called druids must be respected and honored. They may not be enslaved nor culled. Those among Mankind called witches, who obey the Eighth Commandment of Zarus and make no pacts that bind them to inhuman masters but who honor the World, must be respected and honored. They may not be enslaved or culled.

Corollaries 5:7

Man shall not be ruled by clerics or priests. The priests and clerics of Zarus and all other human gods are advisors to Man and must not seek to rule Man under a mask of assumed divinity. No Man shall suffer to be ruled by clerics or priests. Such is a sin against Zarus and all shall be culled. Man is free to choose to accept his destiny and the laws of Zarus or to reject Zarus and be culled. No priest or cleric may interpose themself between Man and this choice. Man owes his highest allegiance to himself and himself alone. It is the will of Zarus.

Corollaries 5:8

To rule, Man must be wise in all things. Man is the glory of Zarus and a temple to Zarus, superior to all other beings. Man shall raise up to himself and to Zarus every art, every craft, every science and knowledge. It is Mankind’s duty to promote civilization, to banish ignorance, to acquire knowledge and to advance the human race to be worthy of Zarus and the humanity that is Man’s birthright. Man shall glean knowledge even from the non-humans that he may know their ways and have knowledge of all. To be called ignorant shall be the greatest of shames in the eyes of Zarus, second only to being called weak.

Corollaries 5:9

As Zarus is the Father of Humanity, God the Creator of Humanity, Astra is the Mother of Humanity, Goddess and Giver of Life to Mankind. All shall honor and respect Astra as Zarus. In Astra’s name may the wayward atone for sins against Zarus and seek new life in his divine favor.

DM Endnote

In my campaign, Zarus is the chief deity of the Tharquish Empire of extreme Western Oerik.. This placement is in line with my take on Third Edition “core” or “default” Greyhawk “canon.” I place most of the features not immediately identifiable as belonging to or in the Flanaess in the extreme western portions of Oerik. This acknowledges the”canon” but avoids trying to fit what is too often otherwise a square peg in a round hole.

The Tarquis Dominions also revere Zarus but not with the single mindedness of the Tharquish Empire. The Empire is not a theocracy, but it is nearly monotheistic. The Dominions are more pluralistic but all of the basic tenants Zarus are observed. In other areas of Western Oerth - Barbarian Seameast and the Empire of Lynnortis - Zarus is just one deity among many, which can raise of host of interesting possibilities.

In the Flanaess proper, the worship of Zarus is practically unknown. Zarist travelers, let alone priests and clerics, are extremely rare. In the southern most regions of Hepmonaland and the Pearl Sea, however, Zarists are simply rarely encountered. Wherever Zarists go, they generally make a good first impression on human populations, even those living in close proximity with non-humans. Zarists are not stupid. Issues develop later.

The most extreme conflict with Zarists takes place in Hepmonaland. The Scarlet Brotherhood’s racism is intolerable to the faith of Zarus and the two groups clash almost immediately upon first contact. The Zarists also oppose the Yuan-ti dominated states with equal fervor. Back in the Tharquish Empire, reports of Hepmonaland portray that land as one in extreme need of enlightenment and liberation. Humans sin by oppressing humans, particularly in the face of the clear Yuan-ti threat, a sin of its own. Talk of aiding the Touv has not yet gone beyond that. The future, however, is uncertain.

Thu May 19, 2005 9:52 pm  

GVDammerung wrote:
    Here is my expansion on Zarus -

The Book of Zarus
    By Glenn Vincent Dammerung (aka GVDammerung)

<snip>.

Wow, great stuff, GV. This should have been an article Happy

I choose not to dismiss an idea so full of potential because of its potential political incorrectness. Your ideas flesh out the rather short description of Zarus in Races of Destiny. My GM has introduced Zarus into our campaign, and he reads Canonfire, so I'm sure he'll be ripping this stuff off Happy

I agree that his alignment as Lawful Evil is a relative thing. As I noted before, to humans he is loving and protecful, and promotes ideas that would have been revolutionary on Earth in a similar time frame (equality of the genders, human rights, and so forth).

Your idea that sectarianism and schisms can exist is perfectly plausible for any religion, and opens the door to disputes within the Church that actually distract it from its goal of promoting human superiority. This opens game play possibilities for court intrigue.

Great stuff

Theala
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue May 24, 2005 12:03 pm  

Theala_Sildorian wrote:
    This should have been an article

Thank you. Smile It has been uploaded to CF. Happy
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: