Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The first message board thread about RPGing that...
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The first message board thread about RPGing that...
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:55 am  
    The first message board thread about RPGing that...

...really made me loose my nerves.

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=421563

Not that I am an ubergrognard, but that really came to annoy me...

Yours,

R

Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:27 am  

What exactly is the problem?

Oh, I see.
    Yeah, it is pretty obnoxious of those people to dive into FR bashing, and to harass the guy because he likes a different campaign setting. Some people still remain too insecure to be able to tolerate different style preferences in others.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:57 am  

Y-e-a-h . . . Confused

I'm with Ivid here. I actually run two campaigns, one Greyhawk and one FR. I have no problem with the Realms per se. However, T1-4/A1-4/GDQ1-7 is the quintessential Greyhawk campaign. Reading the litany of changes this DM was making in order to make the series fit into the Realms was painful. I've seen the ToEE set in Vaasa before, and I didn't think it could be any worse than that -- my mistake. Sad
    CF Admin

Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:48 am  
    Good FR PLan

Samwise wrote:
    ... it is pretty obnoxious of those people to dive into FR bashing, and to harass the guy because he likes a different campaign setting.
    That's too bad, becasue the original poster came up with a good plan to fit T1-4 into the Dale Lands in Forgotten Realms. I looked at my FR map and he made a good geographical fit. I hope he sticks with it, and ignores the nay sayers. I also hope he gets treated well if he does indeed visit Dragonsfoot.

Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:56 am  

Samwise wrote:
    Some people still remain too insecure to be able to tolerate different style preferences in others.

Is this an offense?

I didn't tread that guy with an offensive attitude, nor did I so with you.

Quote:

If I understood him right, he's about to convert all the modules he bought. Of course that's no crime, everyone bastardizes his material in some way, but, really, I'd highly recommend that before one changes an entire series that was meant to fit together, one uses the default campaign world for which it was made for.

Besides, if it works for you, Erudite, I wish you best luck with your campaign!
    However, you don't know what you are missing!

:)

But really, isn't it a shame that one who is willing to spend years to convert, adjust and play Greyhawk modules, doesn't switch to the setting of which he borrows so much?

Besides, as you Samwise, who participated in a series of posts where I stated on this, might know, I am no FR basher and did eventually play there.

However, buy ToEE, The A and the D series, and convert them ALL to FR... Why doesn't he start to play WoG already!?
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:06 am  
    Re: Good FR PLan

Greyson wrote:
    Samwise wrote:
    ... it is pretty obnoxious of those people to dive into FR bashing, and to harass the guy because he likes a different campaign setting.
    That's too bad, becasue the original poster came up with a good plan to fit T1-4 into the Dale Lands in Forgotten Realms. I looked at my FR map and he made a good geographical fit. I hope he sticks with it, and ignores the nay sayers. I also hope he gets treated well if he does indeed visit Dragonsfoot.

Why shouldn't he? Smile It's a nice experiment, but really, in my honest opinion, he doesn'tknow what he's missing!

Wink

Besides:

TheDungeonDelver wrote:
    I'd like to point out that, via PMs, the author of that message and I a week or so back discussed the merits of various settings and he's decided to set it in Greyhawk (but using the RC).

So nyah! :P

So even the most fundamentalist of all grognards will tread him well... Although with some sort of suspicion...
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:49 pm  

The discussion has reached the DF board as well... Here some little quotation.
    Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I hope I didn't offend anyone so far. Surely wasn't my intention. So, peace, Master Samwise!

Drexlorn wrote:
    Quick explanation of Greyhawk and Forgotten settings for the newb :

Greyhawk :

amount of content --> moderate, can be catalogued.
    percentage of useful content --> 95 % (effective tools for a good campaign)

Forgotten realms :

amount of content --> Only God really knows
    percentage of useful content --> 10 % (the rest is Elminster's the great oh great wonderful words of wisdom, author's we-dont-care-about babbling and valium-strong material)

Laughing
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:41 pm  

*Not about post whoring, but I hope seriously that noone here got pissed with me because of this* Happy
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:19 am  

Ivid wrote:
    But really, isn't it a shame that one who is willing to spend years to convert, adjust and play Greyhawk modules, doesn't switch to the setting of which he borrows so much?

However, buy ToEE, The A and the D series, and convert them ALL to FR... Why doesn't he start to play WoG already!?

Why should he have to? He enjoys FR, and he wants to play "classic" modules in that setting. That's what a good DM does - makes things work for his campaign and his groups' enjoyment.

And I don't mind your multiple posts, but the quote from Drexlorn is just another thinly veiled mindless slam on FR. Whoopie. Forgotten Realms Sucks, Greyhawk Rocks. We've heard it.

Cheers
    Nell.

Who, by some people's logic, ought not to be allowed here at all, since he has NEVER gamed in Greyhawk.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:13 am  

Nellisir wrote:

Why should he have to? He enjoys FR, and he wants to play "classic" modules in that setting. That's what a good DM does - makes things work for his campaign and his groups' enjoyment.

And I don't mind your multiple posts, but the quote from Drexlorn is just another thinly veiled mindless slam on FR. Whoopie. Forgotten Realms Sucks, Greyhawk Rocks. We've heard it.

I just thought it was funny. Confused Apparently, I was the only one...

Although, I repeat, at least it must be understandable that I as a hardcore hawker lament the lack of interest in *my* setting. That guy may do as he likes, although I personally would not do so.
    Now, to be open, I didn't really expect this to go so *serious*. Some minor mockery here and there about the end of the world and the
    Shocked attitude Shocked of friendly neighbourhood realmers, but nothing more. Seems that any reason to flame is as good as any other...

Nellisir wrote:

Cheers
    Nell.

Who, by some people's logic, ought not to be allowed here at all, since he has NEVER gamed in Greyhawk.

What a junk. Noone would ever say so.

...But hey, if the next Oerth Journal has a Dark Sun cover, we others know that you might have misinterpreted something. Wink
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:32 am  

Just a note. I appreciate Ivid "digesting" this discussion on the Wotc and DF boards, as I don't necessarily range all over. Thanks, Ivid! Smile

I'd personally pay money to see him ask EGG how best to make the conversion. Laughing

As for the guy converting quintessential GH to FR, I just had to laugh. Its not a geographical and NPC conversion that is hard, IMO. It is all the "little" things in each adventure that scream GH that will give him fits, if he is doing other than running a monster bash.

As for FR, it has produced its share of "hits" - Cult of the Dragon. Or Cult of Dragotha as I've converted it to GH, IMC. Happy

Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:08 pm  

yeah, the whole set up is not well suited for the FR. Demon lords like Zuggtmoy really aren't that big a deal there. And the relationship between Zuggtmoy, Lolth, Iuz, and St. Cuthbert that underpins a lot of the story is hard to replicate.

You also have little pitfalls like having a human male cleric of Lolth, which is a no no in the FR (drow females only and she's not grantign spells at the moment anyway, I seem to recall).

The temple concept would also be more directly a threat to certain gods (like Talos and his subordinates) than it is to any GH god.

Still, there is no reason to get on the guy for doing so. While gameworlds have certain inherent biases in their design, ultimately the feel of a campaign comes from the DM, not the source books.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:03 pm  

Vormaerin wrote:
    And the relationship between Zuggtmoy, Lolth, Iuz, and St. Cuthbert that underpins a lot of the story is hard to replicate.

Iuz could be easily replaced by Cyric, St. Cuthbert by Helm. The whole idea of converting the module to another setting is making these kinds of changes.

Attacks like those seen on this thread on WotC Forum, while not overly heated, still make Greyhawk fans look like overfanatical jerks.

Let's pretend for a minute that I read and fell in love with the FR adventure City of the Spider Queen and figured that it would be a perfect addition to Erelhi Cinlu in my Greyhawk campaign. Would you then demand that I run it in the Forgotten Realms first, to truly appreciate what the authors of the adventure intended? I'm guessing the answer is no, but it's the same logic being directed at the poor guy over there, and it's ridiculous.

Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:23 pm  

No, I wouldn't say that, though that storyline (from my 2nd hand information) would not be easily added if you'd already established Erelhei-Cinlu in its 'standard' format.

As for adapting the Temple story, sure it could be done. At its core, its a pretty simple plot: two bad guys team up to found a temple of evil that gets whacked and is rebuilding. However, much of what makes ToEE a great adventure is precisely all the interrelationships and 'big picture' side of it. That will be difficult to replicate, because the big picture of the FR is totally different.

Flaming and all that nonsense (I haven't read those threads) is a waste of time and moronic generally. The supposed quality of the "reason" is pretty irrelevant, imho.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:54 am  

GVDammerung wrote:
    Just a note. I appreciate Ivid "digesting" this discussion on the Wotc and DF boards, as I don't necessarily range all over. Thanks, Ivid! Smile

I'd personally pay money to see him ask EGG how best to make the conversion. Laughing

As for the guy converting quintessential GH to FR, I just had to laugh. Its not a geographical and NPC conversion that is hard, IMO. It is all the "little" things in each adventure that scream GH that will give him fits, if he is doing other than running a monster bash.

As for FR, it has produced its share of "hits" - Cult of the Dragon. Or Cult of Dragotha as I've converted it to GH, IMC. Happy

Thanks for the support, GVD. Wink

As you and others said already, it's really hard to so a conversion without having to reduce the module to less more than a default dungeon. Of course, everyone may do as he wishes, although that is, IMHO, crippling one of the best adventures ever done.

As far as the Realms, *The inapproachable east* is a great book! No general critcism her, but really, really, some things just don't work there properly IMHO.

Besides, DMing and playing a module at the same time. Shocked

But I butchered Erudite enough... If it works for him, I hold back my mockery.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:54 am  

Vormaerin wrote:

Flaming and all that nonsense (I haven't read those threads) is a waste of time and moronic generally. The supposed quality of the "reason" is pretty irrelevant, imho.

Very true. After all, what we are talking about is just a hobby. No need to get furious with someone exceot that he does an act of ultimate darkness like use one of my books as toilet paper...

Wink

Since the spring of 585 CY there is peace among the dwellers of the Flanaess, for if someone didn't know.

Happy
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:09 am  

*Gives Samwise a hug.*

Sorry to get a bit pissed with you here!

I learned a lot from you regarding to OD&D, so I'd really like us to stay friends! *For that we are, in some wicked way!*

Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:14 pm  

Well, its good to see hat everything reach a good ending. Now my opinion. The guy had his right to convert TToEL or whatever other module to any setting he wants. In fact, i would encourage that, because incentives imagination, and that very good for gamers and DMs.
    Maybe i have this opinion because i dont like modules, or i dont give too much importance to them. In fact, i know i go against the current in this fourm whit that idea (i like FtA too, and a lot of people here despise it).

in resume, if the guy wants to do that, let the guy do it. No one will get hurt for that.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:37 pm  

Mekorig wrote:
    Well, its good to see hat everything reach a good ending. Now my opinion. The guy had his right to convert TToEL or whatever other module to any setting he wants. In fact, i would encourage that, because incentives imagination, and that very good for gamers and DMs.
    Maybe i have this opinion because i dont like modules, or i dont give too much importance to them. In fact, i know i go against the current in this fourm whit that idea (i like FtA too, and a lot of people here despise it).

in resume, if the guy wants to do that, let the guy do it. No one will get hurt for that.

Wink Just check that thread to see how it turned out...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:06 am  

Lets see...

1)_ The guy ask for advice to transplant that modules to FR.
    2)_ All go well un til someone ask why not play the module in his original setting.
    3)_ Them begins the FR bashing. The guy try to defend his stance, but the GH fanatics keep hammering whit "nice" words.
    4)_ Not nicer words begin, you Ivid try to convince the guy of not playing that modules because they arent for FR, chatdemon try to defend the guy´s stance.
    5)_ Then the guy flaps the white flag and play the modules in Greyhawk, and everyones rejoice Confused .

I dont see the problem of the guy playing whatever GH modules in whatever setting he wants. I admit, has a GH fan, that i prefer that the guys have played the modules in GH since the beginning, but i never will push anyone has some on that treath push the guy to play in GH.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:59 am  

Yeah, but please note that it was in a modest and friendly way. I don't want to convince anyone of anything he doesn't want, I just thought it would improve his game. I just wanted to give him a friendly advice.

Besides, when I posted this thread, his last comment was like *Thanks. I'll convert it to the realms.* Shocked

No grognarding here anymore, he may do as it works for him. Actually, there are numbers of conversions I saw that were excellent, but they were done by absolute D&D-pros, like tranplanting the ToEE from Hommlet to Blackmoor (the Oerthian one).

And, just to clarify, the original poster asked DungeonDelver (from WotC and DF) for help on the conversion, and, as that apparently didn't work, decided to use Oerth instead of Toril.

Smile So, I hope you don't take me as the inquisitive and mean grognard I appear to be sometimes. Wink
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: