Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - To Module or not to Module?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    To Module or not to Module?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:24 am  
    To Module or not to Module?

Hi, i post scarcely in this forums, and while i love Greyhawk, i play little. In fact, the most Greyhawk i play was in LG, aside from the campgain i DM some time ago.
    After readinf this forum and other for some time, i noted the dependency most Greyhawkers have for modules, be Slavers and others. Personally i have read some of them, but i never feeel the necesity to use them in the campgains. I usually use them as a referency, and inspiration to make my own adventures.
    Well, here comes the central theme of the post.....Why do you use modules and not oinvented adventures?
    What is the proportion of both you use?

Saludos!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:20 am  

Personally, it's the time involved. Even using the modules, I already feel woefully short on time I can devote to prep-work.

I definitely create my own adventures as well, but being able to also rely on the published adventures is just as helpful for me as utilizing the CityBooks, or pre-generated NPCs, or maps someone else has created, etc. They're just another resource to make life easier for me.

By splitting up the time that way, I can add little enhancements to all the elements of the campaign. I do my best, but this DM needs all the help I can get. Wink

But your point is well-taken. Self-created adventures can definitely be a lot better.

I didn't design the world,
    I merely facilitated its creation
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:57 pm  

Hmm, I don't know that I'd say most greyhawkers rely on modules for their actual gaming. However modules are the main source of early greyhawk information about the world. TSR/WotC did not get into the sourcebook trade until rather later and the majority of that went into overdeveloping the FR.

In GH, if you want to know who Eclavdra is or what sorts of things Mordenkainen got up to, you largely need the old modules. That's separate from whether or not one actually DMs them for one's players.

Some DMs love pre made adventures, others don't. I don't think there is anything about Greyhawk fans that makes them more inclined to run commercial modules than any other subset of the D&D community.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:20 am  

It's actually a matter of time. For me, a very neat and tidy DM, one hour of play means basically 1/2 hour of preparation, even with a premade adventure.

If I was to add the time I would need to design my own adventure/campaign, I'd spend my entire freetime for the game!

Cool ... Wait! Wouldn't that be kewl?!

Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:55 pm  

Yep, can be a matter of time. I usually play whit my players for something lik e 5 or 6 hours long ( a long friday night) and made the adventure in my mind in some dead times, like a bus trip, while i the bathroom and others ocasions like that. Maybe later i put everything in paper, maybe not. I have only use one module, and it was because the adventure was fun to me. It was a Dungeon adventure, The Valley of the Snails i think.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:32 am  

Sad If I only had the free time I desire... It's over a year that I want to complete some CF submissions...

Smile
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: