Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The ToEE, Veluna, and the VoM... Ivid confused...
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The ToEE, Veluna, and the VoM... Ivid confused...
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:17 am  
    The ToEE, Veluna, and the VoM... Ivid confused...

Hello,

I am pretty sure this question was asked a hundred times before:
    When my party completes ToEE, what then?
    I have dropped my previous considerations to take them to ToH, and want a friendlier place for them.

I have thought about bringing them to Veluna or even the Valley of the Mage...

What do you recommend me?

Let them go through WG12 or lead them head northwards?
    Or maybe let them do an adventure in Veluna? -Besides, were there ever released some modules that were placed explicitiely in Veluna?

Thank you in advance,

Rafael

Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:55 am  

Well, I do believe that the next module in the series would be the classic A1-A4 "Scourge of the Slave Lords". It isn't friendly, but it is fun. If you can find the collected edition, it has a few transition encounters which are nice and somewhat downtime-ish. Having "Slavers" can expand on the original material as well.

After this is the great G1-G3, D1-D3, Q1 series. Of course you don't have to play these at all, but it does make for a sweet "classic" campaign. I used a few Dungeon Magazine adventures which seemed related as padding (I'm cheap on handing out the experience points).

Hope this helps, Ivid. Without knowing what your campaign thrust is, it's the best I could do.

Cheers
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:03 am  

Skech wrote:
    If you can find the collected edition, it has a few transition encounters which are nice and somewhat downtime-ish.

What is the A1-4 collection edition?
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:57 am  

Quote:
    What is the A1-4 collection edition?

that would be "Scourge of the Slavelords, A1-4" it is a large "super module" that collects the following modules into 1 big book.

indivualy they are

"Slave Pits of the Undercity, A1"
    "Secrets of the Slavers Stocade, A2"
    "Assualt ofn the Aerie of the Slavelords, A3"
    "Dungeons of the Slave Lords, A4"
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:04 am  

I think Skech meant Scourge of the Slave Lords, instead of just collecting A1, A2, A3, and A4. You get a lot more introductory material that's really pretty good. You also get some encounters en route between the various adventures of the series.

I'm not personally a big fan of A1-4 following ToEE, but that's just because I'm a consistency freak (the levels are off, the timeline's wrong with ToEE occurring prior to GDQ, etc.). But most folks find the progression works well as designed.

The intro to Scourge has some really good material to it, and if you are playing ToEE followed by this then it's a good way to transition between the two.

I didn't design the world,
    I merely facilitated its creation
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:06 am  

the only problem with using "Scourge of the Slave lords" right after "Temple of Elemental Evil" is that characters who successfully complete the entire ToEE adventure are likly to be higher level then is recomended for SotSL making it not as challenging or rewarding, while they will be to low of level to head off for "Queen of the Spiders"

If it looks like the characters are going to be too powerful for SotSL to be up to snuff for them I think that S2 (White Plume Mountian) and S4 (Lost Caverns) and perhaps WG 4 (Forgotten temple of Tharzy) are good adventures to move into... I2 (tomb of the Lizard King) or I7 (Baltron's Beacon) might also be possibilities.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:21 pm  

Well as long as they dont want to get their characters killed by the booby traps and dangers of Sakatha's tomb this module can be a nice one when properly DM'ed. But then I never thought that this special module (I2) was ment to be played in a greyhawk campaign since the county of Eor and the name of the towns do not ring any bell in my mind when I try to situate those in the GH setting.

What about "Dwellers of the forbidden city" ? (I dont have the code number, cant find my copy...buried under a lot of 2nd edition stuff) But then the G1-3 series may follow a party that has gone through the ToEE since they start around the 6th or 7th level but do require a lot of good players... And if you do start tthe whole GDQ you have plenty of adventures for the daring players, especially if you convert those to 3rd edition since mass battles will become quite a difficulty when those drow patrols will draw steel(adamantium(!)) against them... Just remember that if your players do not make clever decisions they can die pretty fast in those modules (D3 and Q are almost insane).
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:43 am  

Thank you all for your ideas!

Skech wrote:

Hope this helps, Ivid. Without knowing what your campaign thrust is, it's the best I could do.

Wink And that's exactly what I hoped you would do. After all, can't ask you to write my campaign for me! Laughing

cwslyclgh wrote:

If it looks like the characters are going to be too powerful for SotSL to be up to snuff for them I think that S2 (White Plume Mountian) and S4 (Lost Caverns) and perhaps WG 4 (Forgotten temple of Tharzy) are good adventures to move into... I2 (tomb of the Lizard King) or I7 (Baltron's Beacon) might also be possibilities.

For more info, I guess my party will be about lvl 10 or 12 when they leave the temple. What I am searching for is an adventure (regardless of the level, because I am sure I'll have to scale it) that doesn't leave the party with a sense of anti-climax. So maybe WG 4 would be an option... Always assuming that EEG and T are one and the same... The I series seems allso very interesting, although I don't know if the party likes to switch the environment... Smile

Smile Again, thank you all!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: