Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Want to suggest a forum Modification?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Support and Feedback
    Want to suggest a forum Modification?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:00 am  
    Want to suggest a forum Modification?

If anyone has any cool PHPBB forum mods they would like to see added here, please post a link to the site where it can be downloaded, along with a description of what it does. I can't promise every suggestion will be implemented, but if we don't know about them, I can promise they won't be. Happy

Also, making sure the mod you are recommending has been validated by the PHPBB team will go a long way toward getting it considered. Unvalidated code can cause major bugginess in the forum, and isn't something we're likely to risk.

If you have an idea for an improvement or tweak, but are unsure of which mod would accomplish it, or if you cant find an appropriate mod, go ahead and post your idea. We'll do our best to track down something similar to your request.

Visit www.phpbb.com for more info.

Last edited by forumfire on Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:09 am; edited 2 times in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:50 am  
    MOD: Force Word Wrapping

MOD: Force Word Wrapping

Link: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=200081

Description:Prevents long sentences from horizontally distorting the pageview by forcing the forum to use wordwrap to the window size.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:01 am  
    MOD: Table BBCode

MOD: Table BBCode

Link: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=219269

Desciption: Adds table creation BB code, allowing posting of neatly aligned charts lists.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:50 pm  

Add a tab to jump to the first new post in a thread. That makes it a lot easier to read long threads.

Add a tab to go to the next thread at the bottom of each thread as well as the top. That makes it easier to surf out of long threads.
    CF Admin

Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:15 am  

Which mod is that, Samwise? Sounds pretty pimp.

Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:53 am  

Samwise wrote:
    Add a tab to jump to the first new post in a thread. That makes it a lot easier to read long threads.

I'm not aware of a PHPBB mod that allows this function in an individual thread, but if you go to the forum index page ( http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums ), you'll find a link called "View Posts Since Last Visit" which will take you to a page showing all posts made since you last logged in, scanning this page for the threads you are following may help you keep up with long threads easier.

Samwise wrote:
    Add a tab to go to the next thread at the bottom of each thread as well as the top. That makes it easier to surf out of long threads.

This one does exist:

Mod: Previous/Next Topic Link
    Link: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=220640
    Description: Adds "view previous topic :: view next topic" links at the bottom of the page, below the posts.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:56 am  
    Printer Friendly Topic Display

Mod: Printer Friendly Topic Display
    Link: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=141443
    Description: Creates a link to a bare bones, printer friendly display of the topic. Also handy when saving threads to your computer.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:59 am  
    EMail Digests (Very Cool)

Mod: Email Digests
    Link: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=187868
    Description: Allows users to opt in to a daily or weekly email containing a summary of all new topics and posts.

This would be very handy for the recent suggestions, in other topics, that browsing through forum pages is tedious for some users, and an email notification system would be preferable.
    CF Admin

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:42 pm  
    Anchors for individual posts?

Wizards' message board has a hot number for each post that seems to function as a unique URL for the individual post. Is this a PHPBB function/module?

Also, in email on GreyTalk I asked about the possibility of reciprocating message board posts and listserv (or something like it) emails. Even if this isn't possible with PHPBB, if you know how to do it, I'd appreciate a few comments and suggestions for where to conduct further research.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:28 am  
    Re: Anchors for individual posts?

mtg wrote:
    Also, in email on GreyTalk I asked about the possibility of reciprocating message board posts and listserv (or something like it) emails. Even if this isn't possible with PHPBB, if you know how to do it, I'd appreciate a few comments and suggestions for where to conduct further research.

Despite a percieved "demand" for that function, when we had it, it was rarely used. I think the mod Mar suggested that would send folks a daily email summary of forum activity is an easy to implement alternative.

Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:59 am  
    Re: Anchors for individual posts?

mtg wrote:

Aside from the technical hurdle, there is the issue of moderation. Greytalk, unlike this forum, is unmoderated, and a lot of what gets posted there at times has no place on a moderated forum. Dumping all the posts here would make life miserable for the moderators.

The technical hurdle is a big one, I don't know of any existing mod or plug-in to integrate PHPBB with a listserv, and writing one from scratch is beyond the scope of a volunteer only website such as this one.

And, as Rich said, we had this feature before, it was only used by a handful of people, all of whom now use the forum, as far as I can tell.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

You can post new topics in this forum
    You can reply to topics in this forum
    You can edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Canonfire! is a production of the Thursday Group in assocation with GREYtalk and Canonfire! Enterprises

Contact the Webmaster.  Long Live Spidasa!

Greyhawk Gothic Font by Darlene Pekul is used under the Creative Commons License.

PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
    Page Generation: 0.39 Seconds