JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Lolth's Daughter and So On
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Lolth's Daughter and So On
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:30 pm  
    Lolth's Daughter and So On

I think this (maybe) deserves its own thread. So here goes.

The only three GH related tidbits from Races of the Wild (see that thread) that are interesting are -

(1) Lolth has a daughter who is the only lawful member of the Selderine;

(2) Corelian Larethian is the father (with whom the daughter has sided); and

(3) Lolth used to be Corelian's consort before she turned to evil, attempting to help Gruumsh defeat Corelian so that she could take over as leader of the Seldarine.

The problem is that there is at least a surface conflict with the story of Lolth set out in Dragon 155. I think the two can probably be reconciled but, again, GH is just a source of names in 3E. "Canon" but hardly inspired "canon."

Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:59 pm  

Mad Is nothing sacre-

Er.... ahem. Embarassed

Mad Is nothing Profane?!?!

Telas
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:25 pm  

And don't forget how She was also a boar. Shocked For the Raptorian god's hunting pleasure. Shocked

Okay. I don't have it handy, but wasn't there an extensive write up about Elves decades ago in Dragon? I thought the Elven pantheon was fleshed out quite a bit in there. Mucking up the Elven god's just to shoehorn in a new race or some new "shocking" tidbit of history seems... wrong.

It's right up there with messing around with Suel goddesses... Wink

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:40 pm  

Isn't Correllon and Lloth's daughter the goddess of Good Drow in Forgotten Realms?
    Master Greytalker

Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:08 pm  
    Before

I think I made this point in an earlier thread, on Races of Destiny, or maybe about the Raising of the Isles of Woe by Living Greyhawk, but I will gladly make it again.

Several Posters to this site have been gaming in GH for nearly 30 years. I have been for just a tad more than 25. Some of these campaigns have have been going on for as long as many of these execs have been alive.

I agree, it is just a source of names to WOTC, and it shows an utter lack of respect for their customer. What I cannot understand is why? I understand that we (GH fans) may not have sufficient numbers to justify massive releases of new material. But to what end do they pillage a good intellectual property, and do it so poorly?

Now, granted, we should all understand... our favored campaign world is cooler than all the others (in our not so humble opinions Happy ). So i guess it is easier to pillage and distort the good old standbys into mediocre drivel than it is to come up with new mediocre drivel?

I like the idea of each of the "Complete," books, and the "Races," books. But come on Wizards, spend the nickle and the half hour to make them worth reading.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:28 pm  

I think you're right, Tiernan.

Which means one of three things:
    a) either the FR goddess has changed her name and portfolio,
    b) Races of the Wild was not meant to be used in the FR setting, or
    c) WotC is trying to turn Greyhawk into the Realms!

<cue sinister music>

Removing my tongue from my cheek now. Happy

Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:50 pm  

Shocked Whu? Huh? Eh.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:48 pm  

I think that would have to be FR story than a GH story. If ones reads the FR's pantheon also produced WOTC one would read the same story except the addition of Gruumsh.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: