The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - New Gods
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    New Gods

Who Thinks we should just ignore Taiia and Toldoth?
    I disagree, they are quality additions to Greyhawk
    4%
     4%  [ 1 ]
    I agree, as a group we can will them into dissolution
    90%
     90%  [ 20 ]
    Um, we have to recognize them as canon, but their only temple is lost in the Black Ice
    4%
     4%  [ 1 ]
    Total Votes : 22

Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:04 pm  
    New Gods

Alright here they are the new gods and goddesses?!?!
    Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:55 pm  

Who is Taiia and Toldoth?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:02 pm  

They're from Deities and Demigods (3rd Ed).

Taiia is an example of a monotheistic religion. Toldoth is the dark side of a dualistic religion (Elishar is the light side).

I think they CAN be worked into a campaign, but I do not think that they should be adopted as Canon.

Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:09 pm  

Tai'ia is the be all and end all of a monotheistic example given in the D&Dg and while good is not very GH. We have Pholtus already! Wink
    Toldoth and Elishar are both made for each other and while they have potential its hard to use in GH with so many similar gods..perhaps in a new place it would be good.
    Dennari has potential as a mystery nature cult of Beory of Obad-hai.

Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:21 am  

12 in a pantheon is all I can count on my fingers, so that is all I am going to allow.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:23 am  

how did you come up with the idea that they should be added to greyhawk... they are not even in the correct part of DDG for them to be considered Oerth canon...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:57 am  

Quote:
    how did you come up with the idea that they should be added to greyhawk... they are not even in the correct part of DDG for them to be considered Oerth canon...

That's probably my fault. I mentioned them in the Gran March Project, pretty much to exclude them from consideration. The DDG lists them in the back, as an option or example, without linking them to a campaign setting.

For the Gran March project, I wanted to be clear that we were not turning a spotlight on them. But if someone wanted to use them in their own Greyhawk (such as myself), I don't see why they couldn't. But I don't think they should be included in any Canonfire works, since they are not (and should not be) Canon.

Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:16 am  
    Whoops

I didnt look Firepower and misunderstood. I still think we should will them into dissolution.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:38 am  

For Canon purposes; definitely.

Which brings up Denarri. Example of a mystery cult in the back of the DDG, after Elishar and Toldoth. An earth-mother type, similiar to Beory IMO. What about Denarri? Canon-fy her or set phasers for "ignore"?

Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:32 am  

I'm the lone dissenting vote so far. I like all of these deities.

Taiia is a monotheistic deity whose doctrine "denies not only the potency but even the existence of other gods . . ." This is sharply different than any other GH deity, from Pholtus on down. What fun to place Taiian worship somewhere in the West and have adventuring parties, with their clerics reach X-land, where Taiia is worshipped! Taiia is different but IMO different is good.

I think I'd place Taiian worship in Zindia, IMC.

Elishar (god of light) and Toldoth (god of darkness) are a matched pair of dualist deities. Again, we see nothing like this in the Flanaess. The closest it comes are the brother deities Heironeous and Hextor but their dualism is more restrained by their portfolios and alignments, which tend to take prescedence over sheer dualism. Again, I'd place the worship of Elishar and Toldoth in the West and allow it to be discovered by PCs.

I think I'd place Elishar's and Toldoth's worship in Orcreich and the Khanates. Rather than have the Orc's of Orcreich worship Gruumsh, I'd have them worship Toldoth as a Sauron-like figure. IMC.

Dennari is Ehlonna with dwarves substitued for elves. She is a coalescent deity. This goes back to the discussion of some months back of syncretism and coalescence. Syncretism gets more play, perhaps, but I think coalescence is much more interesting.

Of the four deities, I could easily see placing Dennari's worship within the Flanaess.

IMO

Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:00 pm  

Greyhawk really doesn't need any more deites.

I'd rather see more done with what is already there.

(Wow! This must be my shortest response ever! Happy )

Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:55 am  

In another far off land like GVD said, yeah I could swing with those deities. I mean, the Tuov and Olman have their own and we RARELY discuss them, so it would be unlikely that the Oerid, Suel, Flan gods are spread out beyond Oerik. More gods needed? Not really, but thats b/c there's already too many in a small area actually.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:38 am  

More gods for GH? Are you kidding me? If there was a problem before, it was that there are far too many deities to keep straight - the last thing we need is new ones. I guess as far as homebrew games go, you could incorporate some of the new and eliminate some of the old; I know I've culled a few dozen intermediate and lesser gods from my campaign already. Let us never speak of Taiia and Toldoth again - or at least not until we've overused Jascar and Velnius. Cool
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:16 am  

Quote:
    More gods for GH? Are you kidding me? If there was a problem before, it was that there are far too many deities to keep straight - the last thing we need is new ones.

I could agree more. And as an aside the last thing we need are gods the act like FR gods who are way too intrusive.
    That is just a pet peeve of mine.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: