JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Treaty of Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Treaty of Greyhawk
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:30 am  
    Treaty of Greyhawk

Does anyone know what the exact terms of the Treaty of Greyhawk were? I recall that Ket got to keep Bissel, Iuz parts of the Shield Lands and Vesve, but I don't recall much more than that. Any additional information anyone has on the exact terms would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Theala
    Master Greytalker

Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:42 am  

The treaty of Greyhawk was kept fairly vague but it seems to simply formalize a ceasefire based upon the existing "frontlines" at the time of the signing.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:19 pm  

The forces of Good agreed to let From the Ashes remain canon.

In exchange, Iuz agreed to spare the rest of the Flanaess.

Who won? I'm not sure.

:P
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:09 am  

jwb3 wrote:
    The forces of Good agreed to let From the Ashes remain canon.

In exchange, Iuz agreed to spare the rest of the Flanaess.

Who won? I'm not sure.

:P

ROTFLMAF Laughing

Seriously tho, my need for specificity made me wonder if the exact terms had ever been spelled out. Regretabbly, I don't have all the canon material.

Theala
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:08 am  

You know, Theala, I poked around a bit last night and couldn't find anything specific either. I think everything official just references that it meant an end to hostilities, not that it specified any land ownership (though it certainly could have).

I think you'll find the most details on who got what in the LGG (Living Greyhawk Gazeteer), simply because it has the largest history listings for each country. Also, it's easy to get your hands on, and for $5 for a used copy in pretty good shape, how can you complain? ;-) Use the link over in the left-hand frame to purchase it used for $5 from Amazon and help out Canonfire at the same time!

Okay, shameless plug is over now. Another option is to tell me which specific countries you need to know about, and I'll see what I can track down for ya.

I didn't design the world,
    I merely facilitated its creation
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:19 am  
    The Pact of Greyhawk

Some additional notes,

The Treaty of Greyhawk, because it was negociated in the city, was used by the oligarchy to solidify Greyhawk's power as a world-wide nation-state.

Some specifics include:

The protocols of the major nation's ambassadors and making Greyhawk the "UN" of the the Flannaes. "The fine print of the Pact is endless" with regards to how these ambassadors should behave themselves. Actiong "incompatible with diplomatic status" is prohibited.

National boundaries were pretty much limited to what the Greyhawk Wars stalemated at, although Ket had no representative there (presumably its interests were handled by Iuz, but that may not necessarily be so). Greyhawk used this treaty to formally expand its land holdings (much to Dyvers' dismay) to include the old Wild Coast lands and further into the Cairn Hills. The borders between the captured Sea Princes and Keoland-Yeomanry were also hotly contested until the treaty was finally signed.

While Greyhawk came away with many small goodies buried in the fine print of the Pact, there came with it some headaches. Mostly the problems stem from Greyhawk being an officially neutral site, but with its large population of refugees from good aligned nations it feels it must buffer them up to prevent more exiles. To this end, Greyhawk covertly supplies both Nyrond and Furyondy with aid that the ambassadors of Ivid and Iuz would object to. The political and espionage skullduggery often puts Greyhawk in awkward positions that threaten the stability of the treaty.

These snippets are found in the FtA Campaign book, mostly in pages 6-11. The Pact of Greyhawk, being more of a political expediency then a true peace treaty, has many possibilities for adventures.

My two coppers worth.

O-D
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:11 pm  

Quote:
    Mostly the problems stem from Greyhawk being an officially neutral site, but with its large population of refugees from good aligned nations it feels it must buffer them up to prevent more exiles. To this end, Greyhawk covertly supplies both Nyrond and Furyondy with aid that the ambassadors of Ivid and Iuz would object to. The political and espionage skullduggery often puts Greyhawk in awkward positions that threaten the stability of the treaty.

Also, Greyhawk had a healthy concern over Iuz knocking on their door. How convenient to have Furyondy and Nyrond acting as buffers and diversions for Iuz. Don't forget that Iuz holds some antipathy for Greyhawk for his imprisonment.[/quote]

I didn't design the world,
    I merely facilitated its creation
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:56 pm  

Thanks everyone for the good input--it has sparked some ideas in my head.

Theala :)
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: