ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Technical Assistance
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Technical Assistance
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:27 pm  
    Technical Assistance

Greetings all!

I'm working on Anced Math's ''Gran March Project" and I need a little help.

You see, I have a 13-page file on my piece of the project (Religion and Churches), but I don't think posting something that large on the boards would be a good thing.

I am NOT web-smart, but I understand that large files can be posted on the web, then linked. Or something like that.

Is there some one out there willing to help an old dinosaur?

Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:25 pm  

Yes, I think I know what you're talking about FP. You can upload your file to your server and then offer the link to it where it could be viewed or downloaded. For instance, http://www.firepowerswebserver.com/textsname.doc To click that link would prompt a download of the file, if I am not mistaken, or do such text type documents, like .doc, .rtf, pdf, automatically open under such linkage?

I do that with my sketches. I upload them to my server, then send the link to whomever I am sketching for at the moment.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:44 pm  

Tedra,

Thanks. I think. I'm not sure. Embarassed I don't own a server that I'm aware of. I probably should. I should probably own cufflinks too, but I don't know what those are used for either.

Can I do something like that if I don't own a server? I mean, won't Verizon get upset if I just start copying files onto their server?

See? D i n o s a u r.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:52 pm  

Not a problem. Wink Do you have a personal website space that Verison provides? If not, you could ask someone to host the file for you. I agree that thirteen pages is alot to post in the forum, or you could email the file to all the interested parties. If'n you want, mail it over to me and I'll host it for you.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:04 pm  

Quote:
    Do you have a personal website space that Verison provides?

I'm sure I do. Don't they give away space on Yahoo! and such when you sign up for e-mail? I'd imagine my DSL-provider is no different.

Of course, I have no idea how to access it. Or put anything on it. Or link to it. Or...

I know, scary. The internet is my encyclopedia set... I've never thought about making my own entry.

Quote:
    If'n you want, mail it over to me and I'll host it for you.

Okay, despite the avatar (still creeping me out, BTW), you are an angel. Happy Thank you so very much!

Now, to find your e-mail address. THIS I can do!

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:14 pm  

Quote:
    Now, to find your e-mail address. THIS I can do!

LOL.. Wouldnt imagine how long it me to get comfortable with email, the internet and the evil comp that I use.. Looking forward to seeing this FirePower.. And Tedra is a true angel...With horns and scales, errr, um but an angel:lol:

Maraudar
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:34 pm  

Tedra,

Just sent the file.

Now we'll see if I actually found the RIGHT e-mail address! Smile

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:46 pm  

Yep, you got me, I'm working on it right now. Happy

Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:29 pm  

Woo hoo!

I are smart! Happy Happy Happy

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:14 pm  
    Project

Hello all... I am glad to see that everyone is willing to put in as much good effort as we are seeing here. However, I need to point out one GLARING error. This is not "Anced Maths," project. Ivor and I started it togeather, and with plenty of input and support from the community. I have taken on the role of organizing the document, and recruiting... mainly because I lack the talent for writting. Ivor has taken on the task of writting, playtesting and blending the campaign arc and all its facets togeather. While initially this means that Ivor is not pushing, cajoling, recruiting, etc., as the components start to come togeather, you will see and feel his presence strongly. For the final product to work, the project must become a cohesive whole, both in the factual/mechanical components and in the Story. Or more importantly the Story. If the Mad Mage Anced is taking over Barony Hethiye in the NPC roster, but that doesnt show up any where else, or the other NPCs and institutions take no notice in the politics section, this thing is going to Bomb.

I am working hard on this, and will gladly take my due, but lets recognize those that most thoroughly deserve it.

Thanks,

Anced Math

Co-Manager of Ivors Gran March Project.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:19 pm  

Ah!

I should have led off with:
    "Anced Math has me working on the "Gran March Project", and I need a little help."

No slight directed at anyone. I stand corrected. Smile

And mad praise for Tedra! Happy

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:23 pm  

Aww geez guys Embarassed Thanks!

Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:07 pm  

Ummmm, Canonfire would only be too happy to host the file. That IS what we are here for. ;-)

Just email it to the editors. We have a whole category for this sort of thing, called, surprisingly "Downloads". See above.

I believe we are arranging for the Gran March project to get their own folder for group files.

Sounds like this would be a good time to get that finalized.

-Gary
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:12 pm  

Oh Great and Powerful Overlord, you are both wise and clever! Smile

PSmedger wrote:
    Quote:
    Ummmm, Canonfire would only be too happy to host the file. That IS what we are here for. ;-)

Actually, I was going to ask about that very thing. But I wanted to get past the first draft, and the ripping apart, and the re-editing, and...

Those articles on the front page are good Exclamation My ramblings and amateurish writings aren't front page material.

Yet. Cool

Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:32 am  
    Alright

Alright, this is bad timing, as I am leaving the country for 10 days, but I have already been talking with PSmedger and Dethand about this very thing.

Ivor, if you could follow up with both, that would be great. We would like, if possible, to have some private space so we could share drafts. We already have lots to put up, maps, graphs, .docs, xl files. When I get back I will tell the IT guys to put some space on my business servers, but it will have to wait till then.

This is my last post as I am going to the islands and I will drink a rum drink for you guys... or two Happy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:06 am  

Quote:
    This is my last post as I am going to the islands and I will drink a rum drink for you guys... or two

Mmmm... Rum.

Go! Get outta here! Have fun! And we'll be here when you get back. Smile
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: