JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - THE LAW
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Gran March Gazetteer
    THE LAW
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:07 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    I recommend restructuring the council to include just the nobility, many of whom will already have ties to the KotW or be members of the order themselves. Those who are not will probably have ties to the regular military in most cases. . . . I'd say that is enough intertwining of the order, the nobility of the land, and the military.

. . . you might wish to have the KotW have a standing member on the council, you might also therefore under this structure include one representative from of each of the main power groups in the land as well- each Guild, each Temple, etc. Ruling nobles would automatically have a seat on the council due to their status. Many of the nobles, guilds, and temples will have ties to the military, the KotW, or other groups as well. Overall it makes for a nice kettle of fish I think(lots of overlapping, but related influences).

I look at this section as simply describing the overall ruling structure of the land, with a bit of info on how ruling power in enacted. It need not be overly defined, and more vagueness would probably be best. theris not need to srtie a legal code, other than to just cover the big no-no's(murder, theft, treason, etc.).

I agree with Cebrion, too. Smile

The only add I might suggest is that any standing members not of the peerage are strictly observers, admitted as a courtesy and for advice, but get no vote.

Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:01 pm  

I have been absent for a few days and did not see this posting.

I have to say that the Laws are among the things I like most about the GMP so far. Though I understand Crags comparison to Medieval Legal systems, we thought to differentiate it a good deal from a simple medieval parallell.

It is medieval, and more and less. GVD envisioned the Knight as being the overriding archetype of the March, it's defining icon. I disagreed, as it seemed too pat and answer... to simple and thus uninteresting as a place of intrigue and wonder. We have worked a comprimise that I think is far more interesting, incorporating the Warrior as the masthead of GM society, and the Knight the Preeminent Warrior. (this will come out in the History of GM sometime soon).

In my vision, there is something of the lost eastern world in the Sheldomar, the world of Rome/Greece/Egypt/Persia/Babylonia. Not in it's architecture or styles, but in it's engineering and codification of law. The stratification of social class and custom that does not occur in European traditions (at least in comparison to the caste systems of the east). It is very medieval in it's "look." However, it is a very different world, one that is a rich and complex political tapestry.

IMO, the Laws are very good... detailed, yet only 9 articles. It can be as narrow or far reaching as one wants it to be. The purpose of the Laws was to create a setting that allows a highly political game, and yet allows the DM to craft his own World.

I think if you look at it again, you will see that the Laws are not really very restrictive... Every city has it's own laws as each can be founded by a different Intitution. It could be religious, guild ruled, the Army or the Knights. You choose.

I will say that as I read through this, I agree that the role of the KoW should be greatly reduced in the Casting of Rods. However, they have to have a way to influence the Rods or the recent history does not make any sense.

Agree or Disagree?
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Gran March Gazetteer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: