ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Gran March NPCs
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Gran March Gazetteer
    Gran March NPCs
    Master Greytalker

Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:08 am  
    Gran March NPCs

Hello All.

There has been recent discussion of the NPC of Gran March and what format they will need to be in. I think we have always contemplated this project as a 3.5 project, but I think an initial text that is editionless is more important.

As we progress in this, the description of each NPC, and making them compelling and interesting, scary and evil, comoforting and good, etc., is going to be more important than if they are 14 or 15th level.

So, before we start assigning Stats to anything, I think a summary description is in order. And I think that this is all we should worry about for a while, at least until Ivor has fleshed out the Campaign Arc. If the average level of our NPCs is higher than the Villans Ivor is developing, it makes them ineffectual. At the end of the Day, this should reflect a balanced whole. Unless the Plot specifically describes an unbalance and we choose to do so.

So for now, lets hold off spending too much time on the NPC stats. Rather, lets begin listing the NPCs that need to be fleshed out.

This is just a brainstorming list, and that is all I hope this particular thread will be. Nothing is wrong, lets just pile it on, and edit it down later.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:21 am  
    Here is my initial list

Here is my initial list.

I would like 5 Barons detailed, with the others to be fleshed out as needed by our story or the indavidual DM. I would like to suggest that we also do the Marches, as this will be only sparsely detailed and one of the DMs primary areas for indavidual adventures. Ivor has been handling the Houses, so I will simply list the ones the I would use IMC.

Baron of Shiboleth - Baron Anerth Dorlin, Lord of Shiboleth (just like the Dorlain connection, discard if in conflict)

Baron of Aoidh - Baron Vori Y'Macak (Ivor Mackay anagram)
    Baron of Valonn - Hookhill
    Baron of Hethiye
    March Warden of the Rushmarch
    March Warden of the Dim March
    Hochoch - Who runs this place?

I would love so see the head of some of the Churches detiled, and one Church detailed extensively. So far Zilchus and Inessa are my favorites.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:04 pm  

Anced Math,

I'm putting together some NPCs for the heads of the churches I've detailed, as well as a few others within the churches.

~A sample priestess of Merikka and the Oeridian Church, "updated" from the N1 Module.

~The Obad-Hai "ambassador" in Hookhill. Probably half-elf, but definitely not a happy-go-lucky guy.

~The supposed leader of the cult of Hextor outside of Hochoch. Or maybe he's just the janitor. Who knows?

~Chairwoman of Inessa, Greta Halloran, High Priestess of Zilchus in Hookhill. Arguably the most powerful woman in the nation.

~A sample businesswoman worshipper of Inessa.

~Bishop Devereaux of Saint Cuthbert in Hochoch, a retired Gran March Infantry Major.

~The Sheriff of Locks Heath, a Cuthbert worshipper.

~Archbishop Thomason of the Pholtian Church in Shiboleth.

~The Chief Magistrate and Legal Consul to the Commandant, a Pholtus worshipper, as an example of the Pholtian influence in Gran March.

~The Holy General of Heironeous, Commander of the Western Army of the Invincible, and retired Gran March Cavalry Field Marshal. Headquartered in Hookhill.

~A sample cleric of Heironeous in the Gran March military serving his military obligation concurrently with his dedication to Heironeous.

If there's more you'd like to see (or less), let me know. I should have them up by mid-May.

Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:01 pm  
    Firepower

They all look good to me, but I would go over it all with
    Ivor first. He has a much better grasp of story requirements than I right now.

Lets dig into the hierarchys of one of those churches!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:53 pm  

I think the NPC discussion is a very important one.
    1. we want area the the Players can grow and develop finding mentors along the way.
    2. they cannot be too weak to allow players of mid level 6-12 run amuck
    3. they cannot be too powerful, for if they are who needs the heros

I have tried to keep the campaign as a hole one which players go from 1-20 level and then that where dethand epic stuff can kick in.

I will post the the Campaign outline when Gary sets us up.
    I will list a number of NPC then. I still need to give tedra a beginning list.
    The NPC generation spread sheet I have is base on 3 and 3.5 NPC population generation showing the distrubtion of the NPC levels is a good guideline for us to ensure that we do not over do the NPCs. I can share with those who want it.
    Also ther need to be the ability in my mind for the player to become the leader of a land if they chose. And we need to leave room for DM inspired NPCs too.

Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:43 am  

I'll be fleshing out some of the figureheads in the military. I'd like to stick to the Army, and avoid the KoW however if no one wants to grab them up I could do it.

As far as my army NPC's goes, I'll be going with:
    1. Marshall General (obviously)
    2. Several of the Field Marshals
    3. Influential members or Notable heroes of the army
    4. Leaders of any group with the potential for RP Flavor. As far as this goes I am open to suggestion. For example, Anced had suggested instituting a rainbow company (mixed racial make-up) with a valorous history. I would think that either their founder, or perhaps their current senior officer would be detailed.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:25 pm  

I think Dethand is going to take up the challenge of the KoW and KoD.

Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:30 am  

IvorMac wrote:
    I think Dethand is going to take up the challenge of the KoW and KoD.

Sweet! I wasn't really looking forward to that. ;)
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Gran March Gazetteer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: