JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Ulek States
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Ulek States
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu May 05, 2005 2:56 pm  
    Ulek States

I was wondering about the history of the Ulek States, especially the County. Jurnre was bult in -325 CY, and the Citadel at Jurnre was built in 43 CY. Not much history so far. I'd like to have more.

Were they originally an independent state? When were they founded (year)? Keoland was founded in -342 CY. The Ulek joined Keoland in 292 CY.
    Two dates are given for Ulke gaining its independence 453 and 461 CY. Which is right?

Thanks Smile
    Skech

PS: Who are the Teuv? Teov? Toev? I'm not sure of the spelling. I just recall them being a new or expanded Greyhawk race living in the Hepmonaland? I ran across them on line a long while ago? help.

Last edited by Skech on Thu May 05, 2005 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 05, 2005 7:30 pm  

According to the 1983 guide, the area that was to become the Ulek states was for centuries a place where Flan and demihumans lived.

I expect that they weren't formally states until Keoland controlled the area; under Keoish rule the county, duchy and principality were formally created and named.

Then Keoland lost control of them due to demihuman (primarily elven) discontent, and they were established in their current form: keeping some of the forms of colonial rule, and adapting their own customs likewise.

I need to check my sources more thoroughly (I'm currently at work), but Keoland was at its height about 356 CY. They were thus controlled for some period before that, and left the Kingdom at some point afterwards (453 or 461 CY?).

Jurnre, in origin, would be have been a free city controlling a small amount of land.

As I have a strong interest in the County of Ulek, I'll do what I can to help you research this.

Cheers!

Thu May 05, 2005 8:50 pm  

In part 2 of the timeline (hint hint netbot), I describe the area of the Uleks as divided between the open lowlands and the uplands and wooded lowlands. The open lowlands were Keoish, forming parts of the Duchy of Gradsul and Dorlin. The uplands and wooded lowlands were where the demihumans hung out.
    Why?
    For the simple fact that the river is too rich for them not to. No one would sit on one side of the Sheldomar for several hundred years when there was no organized government on the other side to resist. And while the demihumans could hold the hills and forest, they wouldn't be able to hold the plains.
    When Tavish I brought the Uleks into Keoland, it was mostly those independent demihumans that he brought in. As a balance and payment for their joining, the human fiefs on the eastern sides of the river were given over to the elf and dwarf rulers, and the senior human ruler of the central area was made independent of Gradsul. (Reflected in calling it a palatine county, which technically means it is still part of Keoland, as an independent county wouldn't need to be palatine.)

The official separation date, when Keoland recognized the Uleks as independent, is 461.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri May 06, 2005 9:20 am  

Merric and Samwise,

Thanks for your help.

Samwise, where can I find part 2 of the Sheldomar Valley History? I read the 1st part. (hint hint netbot) I liked it very much.

Specific questions: When was Ulek founded before it was absorbed by Keoland in 292 CY. Why are there two dates for Ulek's session 453 and 461? Both of these dates are in the 1983 box set. In 453 Ulek gets autonomy from Keoland. In 461 both Celene and Ulek are affected (whatever that means).

I have found a Dragon Magazine article which details 4 books made in the County. I don't know if they're canon but they do give some dates. "A Treasure Trove of Tomes" by Scott Casper, Nov 1998, Dragon #253, pages 40-47. One is written in 155 CY and refers to a popular ruler named Count Cartair. He was not the 1st Count; that was Kewl according to LGG. It further implies that the Uleks were already somewhat politically divided before their absorption of Keoland. I'm guessing that Ulek was divided when Kewl took over; further that the Uleks were formed shortly after the formation of Jurnre in -325 CY, say 25 years (just speculation).

I'd like to build a small timeline for this County and speculate at its non-canon history based on its neighbors history and other articles created here.

Thanks again.
    Skech

BTW: MerricB, I loved the Spear and Shield of Ulek so I stole it for my game. Thanks. I changed the name of the Druid enchanter that created it to Remric Darkman as a Gygaxian nod to you.
    Master Greytalker

Fri May 06, 2005 5:05 pm  

The Uleks did not get autonomy in 453. That was the year Tavish III died at Westkeep and Tavish IV became King. The Uleks (and the Yeomanry) were recognized as independent "after protracted negotiation". That means in 461. For an empire, 8 years is a protracted period.

And you can read the 2nd part of the timeline when a certain netbot personage finishes his review of it and sets it up for formatting and posting. Just keep dropping him hints until he gets it. :)
    Master Greytalker

Fri May 06, 2005 8:50 pm  

Skech wrote:
    In 453 Ulek gets autonomy from Keoland. In 461 both Celene and Ulek are affected (whatever that means).

That's Gygax's affectations* combned with poor edting. It is supposed to say "Ulek and Celene effected", meaning "brought into being". Obviously Celene is much older than this date. So I think the best reading of this is "Celene and Ulek states recognized b Keoland as independent of Keoland".

*Note that my use of affectation is both an affectation itself, and a play on the affect/effect thing. It works on so many levels...
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Master Greytalker

Sun May 08, 2005 4:23 pm  

But what effect do your affectations have on your post?

:P
    Mad Archmage of the Oerth Journal

Mon May 09, 2005 2:08 am  

soft spots for old typos =P

Anyway, the Touv are a little bit more detailed (some may argue that) in the Scarlet Brotherhood book by SKR.
    Give that a look, though be warned the other races besides the Suel, tend to be portrayed as primitive and savage by comparison. =/
    http://www.oerthjournal.com http://www.greyhawkonline.com/duicarthan
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: