JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Early History of Oerth
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Early History of Oerth
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri May 13, 2005 10:51 am  
    Early History of Oerth

Is there any official published information about the early history of Oerth (beyond the very rough outline given in WG1-2)? If not, how about unofficial?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri May 13, 2005 12:08 pm  

There is an excellent Canon timeline on Canonfire that details a lot of ancient history of Oerth, particularly for the more distant cultures like the Touv, Olman, etc.

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/ghchrondex.php

There is also a fantastic, but NON-CANON timeline for the Suel, Elves, and Flanae called Oerth Journal. Since this site is non-canon, I'm finding it conflicts somewhat with what has now become official Greyhawk history (see my recent thread about Sulm and the Bright Desert).

It's got some good ideas in though, and might inspire you with some ideas about how to fill gaps in Oerth history.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~monax002/Council/OJ1/history.html
    Master Greytalker

Fri May 13, 2005 1:34 pm  

Sadly the ghchronodex link doesn't seem to be working or is that just me.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri May 13, 2005 8:04 pm  

Seems to work just fine. Give it another go, but wait a few seconds for it to load all the way.

.............................................Omote
    FPQ

Tue May 17, 2005 12:35 pm  

Thanks. That stuff's pretty useful.

There's a lot of semi-mythical historical stuff that Gygax, Kuntz, et. al. hint at to add flavor to their descriptions, but have never really been fleshed out. Stuff like the wars that drove the drow underground, many of the legendary people, places and events mentioned in artifact descriptions, wars between humans and kuo-toa, etc.

Is there any information about such things out there?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed May 18, 2005 7:10 am  

For the drow and kuo-toans, you've basically got what the rest of us do, Bedivere. But for personages from artifact descriptions, it varies a lot.

- Obviously there's a lot of info on Vecna and Kas now.
    - The Orbs of Dragonkind in Greyhawk were written up by Roger Moore in a Dragon article (around 240, I think).
    - Tuerny the Merciless was featured in Return of the Eight.
    - Leuk-O was featured in both LGJ #1 and Dungeon #91.
    - The Wind Dukes of Aqaa and the Isles of Woe are both kind of a yes and no answer. Both are featured in products that might or might not be canon, YMMV. The Wind Dukes were in the Rod of Seven Parts boxed set. The Isles of Woe were featured in the Ether Threat series of Living Greyhawk adventures. I haven't actually read these, so they might also contain info on the Wind Dukes. There's also a player's handout that may or may not be a legitimate map of the ancient Isles when they were still visible on the Nyr Dyv. This is found in The Adventure Begins.
    - Azor’alq, Charmalaine, Daern, Daoud, Gadhelyn, Gendwar Argrim, Johydee, Kelanen, Keoghtom, Kuroth, Kyuss, Murlynd, Nazarn, Roykyn, Tsolorandril and Vathris were all turned into Hero Gods (again, YMMV) in LGJ #3.
    - Murlynd and Kelanen were both also outlined (a bit) in Slavers.

Don't have my books in front of me, so that's enough for now. But let us know if there's someone else in particular you're looking for.

I didn't design the world,
    I merely facilitated its creation
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: