Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Ahlissan Ambassador?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Ahlissan Ambassador?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:06 am  
    Ahlissan Ambassador?

This was on the old boards. does anyone know if the ambassador from around 586 would be the same in 591?

Thanks

Mike
    Sage of Canonfire

Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:13 pm  

I wrote the Ahlissa section of the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer.....and while I haven't updated my whole campaign to 591 CY, I think its fair to say that Xavener would have probably changed ambassadors by now.

The Church of Zilchus and the House of Darmen are the most likely organizations to produce new ambassadors.
    Novice

Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:22 am  

Working on Rel Astra and nears , i wonder if can we accept that Ahlissian ambassadors come to "the city of heavens" frequently ? is Darmen's house much interested in trade (even with Rel Astra) than in Medegia re-annexion ? What are the nowadays relations between Drax and Darmen family ? Are they trading together even if they are rivals for grandwood and medegia contest ?

Thanx for your answers

OH
    CF Admin

Sat Jun 21, 2003 4:58 pm  
    Of House Darmen and Lord Mayor Drax

Ambassadors from the United Kingdom of Ahlissa are likely also princes of the Celestial Houses of Aerdi. Given the predominance of House Darmen in Ahlissa and that House's influence in the Royal Guild of Merchants of Aerdy, it is likely that trade with Rel Astra continues despite any political conflict. Only until war was declared would such trade in general become secret, i.e. be smuggling.

While Drax is a despot, he is "enlightened." Given the wealth of his demesne, perhaps the only items that would be directly regulated would be alchemical and magical ones, since the City of the Heavens is likely richer in such than the majority of the United Kingdom, and such items could affect the balance of power in Medegia...

Last edited by mtg on Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
    Novice

Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:47 am  

Happy

Thanks

yep ! it was like i saw that... but i prefered to ask on a canon version, even if i wonder if such a version exists.

Does a trading list (with merchandises) by country exist ?

like :

ahlissa : gems, coal, copper, honey, sugar...etc (for an exemple)
    CF Admin

Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:44 am  

The Living Greyhawk Gazetteer includes "Resources" for each Chapter Four entry. Likely these incorporated the original graphic depiction of such in the 1983 boxed World of Greyhawk set. Some entries include further notes about trade in the Flanaess, but afaik, no publication ever inscribed the overall trade flow of the Flanaess.

For relevant discussion of this subject, search the Greyhawk Archives, at http://www.greycitadel.com/greycitadel/greytalk.nsf, for the thread "Trade routes and cultural flow." Some very useful posts exist in that thread, and the search will produce related relevant threads.

Additionally, consider the resources of adjoining countries and assume that what is not shared in common is traded. This method is preferred by many early online GH fans. Using it fans have determined that relatively few sources of platinum exist in the Flanaess. Any country using platinum coins (noted in the LGG and earlier sources) must therefore gain the raw materials from one of these few sources. Ocam's Razor suggests that the closest source would be the primary supplier.

In the case of Ahlissa, therefore, with Tenh no longer exporting its platinum, see LGG 112, Sunndi seems the likely supplier of platinum, which no doubt improves that young kingdom's standing vis-a-vis the much larger United Kingdom of Ahlissa.

Last edited by mtg on Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:35 pm  

PSmedger wrote:
    I wrote the Ahlissa section of the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer.....and while I haven't updated my whole campaign to 591 CY, I think its fair to say that Xavener would have probably changed ambassadors by now.

The Church of Zilchus and the House of Darmen are the most likely organizations to produce new ambassadors.

thanks Gary!

Mike
    btw - looking forward to the chats again soon!
    Kobold Pinata

Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:39 am  
    Re: Of House Darmen and Lord Mayor Drax

MTG wrote:
    Ambassadors from the United Kingdom of Ahlissa are likely also princes of the Celestial Houses of Aerdi.

Although I don't disagree, I tend to see such figures as being the type not to get their hands dirty. Relagation of duties would be something such a figure would excel at :)

However, given the close association with Zilchus and the powerful guild of merchants, perhaps such a position, with it's associated trade benefits, would be considered not only advantageous, but prestigious? At the very least, control of who the ambassador is would be fought over, given that an ambassador is little more than a salesperson with government sanction.

I could see such positions being fought over and as history turns the tide for various nations, once prestigious posts become redundant backwaters. The ambassador to Nyrond, a once highly contested position that brought with it wealth, fame and great honour, for instance, would be pretty damn peeved after the Greyhawk wars bankrupted the once prosperous nation.

Suddenly other positions would be elevated as well. Furyondy, for instance, would have a very influential ambassdor due to all the supplies the besieged nation requires, and somehow pays for.

The Keoish ambassador would be a smug little bastard too, given the stability of that nation. And whoever was the ambassador to Rinloru would be currently celebrating their immortality; undeath has its advantages :)

Damn... now I'm thinking about all the possibilities of ambassadors of the Flanaess... that'd make a great article...
    In more modern times, only Delglath of Rinloru is known to have crafted any items from the stone of this atrocious place. Even masters of the dark arts such as Xaene and Karoolck would hesitate to follow.
    Kobold Pinata

Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:50 am  
    Welcome to the Boards :)

Oh, I almost forgot. Qstor and OH... welcome to the boards :)
    In more modern times, only Delglath of Rinloru is known to have crafted any items from the stone of this atrocious place. Even masters of the dark arts such as Xaene and Karoolck would hesitate to follow.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:33 am  

Thank you delglath Wink

how is "Sandcastle" today ? Wink

bye
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: