Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Thinking of moving to Greyhawk: need specific location
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    Thinking of moving to Greyhawk: need specific location
    Shawn

Wed May 18, 2005 6:02 am  
    Thinking of moving to Greyhawk: need specific location

Currently I'm constructing a campaign set in Forgotten Realms, but I am considering moving it to Greyhawk.

The campaign centers around a relatively remote wilderness area that used to be a profitable trade route, until the only road through the mountains was severed. With no reason to travel to this area the local economy has whithered. Former cities have shrunken into towns, small towns now lie abandoned, many have turned to robbery and banditry to survive, and of course monsters encroach upon the weakened populace.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some possible locations within Greyhawk. I have not yet purchased the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, but I do plan to in the near future. I've looked at quite a few maps online here, but they only help to confuse me.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed May 18, 2005 6:10 am  
    Re: Thinking of moving to Greyhawk: need specific location

Shawn wrote:
    Currently I'm constructing a campaign set in Forgotten Realms, but I am considering moving it to Greyhawk.

The campaign centers around a relatively remote wilderness area that used to be a profitable trade route, until the only road through the mountains was severed. With no reason to travel to this area the local economy has whithered. Former cities have shrunken into towns, small towns now lie abandoned, many have turned to robbery and banditry to survive, and of course monsters encroach upon the weakened populace.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some possible locations within Greyhawk. I have not yet purchased the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, but I do plan to in the near future. I've looked at quite a few maps online here, but they only help to confuse me.

I would recommend Steirch in the western Flanaess. The trade route through the mountains could be south through the Jotens to the Yeomanry. Or, most ambitiously. It could have been through the Crystalmists to Ull. IMO, the key you have identified is that the trade route was profitable, not that it was a major trade route. In either event, the cause for the collapse might have been followers of Orcus, who are noted to have been active in Steirch. And then there is also Lolth.

You don't provide too many details but I like the sound of what you are desribing. It sounds very atmospheric.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:27 pm  

Sounds like the historical Pomarj would be good, after the humanoids invaded.

Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:15 pm  

Ratik could be a possible location, except for its sea trade. Possibly Tehn, the Pale or Stonehold. Maybe the North Kingdom. That entire region is in turmoil, and you could easily fit in reasons why trade has lessened or even dried up due to the events of the decade or so.
    Novice

Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:50 am  

The Yatils between Perrenland and Ket.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:11 pm  

There's always the southern reaches of Blackmoor...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:34 am  

Hiya.

I'd go with the Yeomanry. It's pretty much 'surrounded' except for a little 50-75 mile wide area to the east (mountains to the NE, N, W, S, SE; plus a swamp to the S, SE just over the moutains/'hills').

My current Hackmaster campaign is set in the Yeomanry. I'm running the Little Keep on the Borderlands. I placed it about 25 miles north of Loftwick, in the Jotens; it was/is a nice location, where I placed a nice little '3 part mountain pass'.

Other than that, Geoff, Ket and Sterich could also be contenders, maybe Perrenland. Basically, there are more than a few places you could place it. :)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:57 am  

I'd go with Yeomanry. With the other locales, the flavour of your game may change somewhat, as they deviate from traditional 'fantasy locales'.

ie. Ket has more eastern influence, etc. while Yeomanry is 'ranger/european ville'.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:46 am  

I tend to play in the area between Verbobonc and the Ulek States. There are a lot of good locations in there, and you're not too far from the City of Greyhawk. Even if you're not playing one of the classic modules, you can probably find a place to put your adventure. (For instance, I put "Forge of Fury" in the Lortmils - though maybe that's old enough now to qualify as a classic, too.)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:55 am  

I also would go with the Yeomanry. It would be very easy to fit towns to your description in this locale. As one gets closer to the mountains, it becomes more remote. There could be towns that were once thriving mining towns with a high volume of trade but are now in decline due to either the mines being played out or perhaps due to humanoid and giant incursion into the mining areas, to name only two of many possible causes.

Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:51 pm  

Everyone is giving good examples but there are still a few more. That's the beauty of Greyhawk - it fits to your campaign. I treat the Yeomanry like ancient Greece, Athens with the Scarlet Brotherhood as Sparta. My players love it. It's also a very different treatment then originally conceived (not so much the SB).

I would vote for Sterich. The land was ravaged by Giants. To the north west, beyond the hills, Geoff is a human land controlled by giants. To the south the Yeomanry successfully guarded its borders Against the Giants. The mountains that separate these two nations, however, are still controlled by hostile jotuns. The southern most portion of Sterich is in shambles. Also the Against the Giants campaign is set in Geoff, their neighbors to the north, but Sterich still has serious problems of their own. It's provides an excellent source material for mid and high level campaigns.

Pick up the Living Greyhawk Gazateer, the map depicts a war torn continent. It lays everything out rather nicely.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:48 am  

Seeing as the OP posted this thread in 2005, I sure hope they have found a location to start their Greyhawk campaign in. Laughing As many other poeple often have the very same question "Where to get started in Greyhawk?", we might as well let the thread continue to germinate. At a later date, a link to this thread may very well become part of an FAQ compiled for those new to Greyhawk.

Just a note to everyone: be sure to check out the dates of not only the orignal post but of the last post that was made in the thread to see how active the thread is, and reply accordingly.

Last edited by Cebrion on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:11 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    Seeing as the OP posted this thread in 2005, I sure hope they have found a location to start their Greyhawk campaign in. Laughing As many other poeple often have the very same question "Where to get started in Greyhawk?", we might as well let the thread continue to germinate. At a later date, a link to this thread may very well become part of an FAQ compiled for those new to Greyhawk.

Laughing

Yeah, I noticed that. I was going to erase it but I'd rather link than retype Wink
    GreySage

Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:46 am  

Shawn! Hail and well met! Happy

All of the above sites offer excellent opportunities, still, I'd go with Sterich and the Yeomanry. Cool

The "Against the Giants" campaign provides the milieu for all kinds of trade routes having been "cut off;" trade between Flen (Sterich) and North Reach (Yeomanry), Flen and Cryllor, Cryllor and Longspear, the Yeomanry and Melkot. The possibilites are endless. Happy

Just my thoughts. Happy
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: