JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Triple Topic Postfest
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Triple Topic Postfest
    CF Admin

Fri May 27, 2005 9:15 pm  
    Triple Topic Postfest

Okay, Parts I & II of our Summer Postfest are concluded. Now, we wait for the submissions for Part II to get posted, which shall be this week. The deadline for articles about Monsters and Other Creatures of Greyhawk are due in Septemebtr, as noted below. We hope to see your article to help fill the the Greyhawk Libram of Monsters. Part Three: Monsters and other Creatures of Greyhawk Due – Sunday, September 11, 2005 This August, Topic Three will help us fill up the Greyhawk Bestiary. From the Greyhawk Dragon to the Camprat, detail a monster or creature unique to the World of Greyhawk, either an existing one or one of your own creation. The goal of this topic is to discuss what makes the creature unique to Greyhawk. Where on Oerth did they come form? What effect does your creature have on the land, people and other creatures around it? What good or evil has it caused, and what lies in its future? These are just a few of the questions your might answer. Your article may take any direction, drawing on existing species or devising something entirely on your own. Or, you can just detail the lair of a monster for use in an adventure. As usual, statistics are welcome for any edition of Dungeons & Dragons®, but creative effort is better spent on the elements that make your subject interesting, unique and Greyhawkish. Why is your Order of Kua Toan Turtle Riders so important to Blipdoolpoolp’s work in the waters of Oerth? Why do the people of Exag refuse to burn anything made of wood during the Dark Night? These choices and others are yours to decide during this summer Postfest hysteria. The Guidelines While there are no restrictions to your imagination, there are a few rules that govern content and format. - The subject must have a World of Greyhawk theme. - You’re not restricted to canon, you may choose a subject of your own design. - Please try to keep articles to one or two pages long (600 – 1200 words, though longer will be accepted!). - You may submit more than one entry. - Each topical entry should be submitted to Canonfire! by the date noted for each topic. Submitting Your Article Follow these easy steps: 1. Visit the Canonfire! Web site at www.canonfire.com. 2. Create a site account, or if you already have one, just log in. 3. Click the "Submit an Article" link at the top of the page, just below the banner. 4. Submit your article. Please include the word POSTFEST in the title. 5. E-mail any extra information, artwork, or requests to editors@canonfire.com. Questions? Post them here or visit the Summer Postfest Hysteria thread at Canonfire!'s World of Greyhawk Discussion forum. At the end, we’ll choose a Postfest favorite for each topic from among the submissions. But, more on that later. Still wondering what Postfest is? A Postfest is a design challenge where fans of the World of Greyhawk write their own takes on a given Greyhawk topic. Then everyone gets to benefit from the new material created. Postfests originated on the TSR/AOL mail list when the World of Greyhawk was an inactive setting. Members of the list submitted written entries to the list, and many aspects of Greyhawk saw continued development. The only thing that has changed is that Postfest has moved from a mail list to a Web based platform. The written topics are still set in Greyhawk and fans from far and wide are all invited to participate. There is no prerequisite or experience necessary – the Postfest is for everyone and anyone who is willing and able to write about the topic and submits his or her entry before the deadline(s). All of the entries are subsequently published and shared on the Canonfire! Web site for all to enjoy."

Last edited by Greyson on Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:48 pm  

Can postfest submissions just be all fluff and no clunk (aka just flavour text and no rules info)? Confused
    Forum Moderator

Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:40 pm  

I can answer that one. At CF there is no official edition supported. This means two things: You can write in any DnD format you prefer or you can do what alot of authors here do and write 'editionless' articles that are, yes, all fluff. I prefer this method as appeals to the broadest audience. In addition, its usually easier to write without having to worry about correctness of the crunchy rules, so good luck with the Postfest.
    CF Admin

Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:14 am  
    Great Points. Mort

mortellan wrote:
    This means two things: You can write in any DnD format you prefer or you can do what alot of authors here do and write 'editionless' articles that are, yes, all fluff... In addition, its usually easier to write without having to worry about correctness of the crunchy rules, so good luck with the Postfest.
    Those are great points, Mort, and you are absolutely correct.

Kiah, let us know if you have any other questions. We hope to see an entry or two (or three) from you this summer.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:00 pm  

Hi Greyson,

I have an article on the supreme enemy of Orders. But he does not do anything, he prefers not to act. I guess it wouldn't do, eh?

What should I do?

tz
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:04 pm  

Mortman,

Are you going to compete again? Well I guess if you are going to compete I will loose again:(

tz
    Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:30 pm  

I doubt that will happen Tzelios, my Ull theme is too well known now. I feel like M Night Shyamalan trying to pull off a new movie plot twist after having done it so often. Wink
    CF Admin

Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:14 pm  
    Submit it!

Tzelios wrote:
    I guess it wouldn't do, eh? What should I do?
    Stylianos, you should definitely enter your submission on the Supreme Enemy of Orders. Often, inaction is as much of a strong statement as acting is. I think the idea of Supreme Enemy of Orders sounds like an interesting concept. So please, make the submission.

And let us know if you have any other questions.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:23 pm  

Holidays, eh?

Hmmm... perhaps a submission is in order... Cool

Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:08 pm  

Well then I will also compete Greyson:grin:

I am still alive and strong, nobody talks to me though in Greece. I do not know if it is the emanations of the underdark. I've just returned from the Demonweb Pits, and brought some stuff from there.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:16 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    I doubt that will happen Tzelios, my Ull theme is too well known now. I feel like M Night Shyamalan trying to pull off a new movie plot twist after having done it so often. Wink

I got to check thix M Night Shyamalan out Question
    CF Admin

Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:21 pm  

Heather and Ethan got me a copy of MNS' film "Sixth Sense" for Father's Day, which is a good place to start with getting familiar with his work if you haven't already seen it, Tzelios.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:21 am  

What are the criteria for winning?

Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:23 am  

Thanks Allan, I've watched it, it is a good movie.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:50 pm  
    None, and All

Tzelios wrote:
    What are the criteria for winning?

Good question, Stylianos. There are no codified criteria. The winner is decided by ballots cast by Canonfire! members. There are no standards for winning - it is all decided by the voters. We'll post all of the entries shortly after each deadline, and then accept voting by e-mail from registered users. The voting will be announced after patrons have had time to read the entries.

Any other questions?

Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:02 am  

It's also worth noting that the only "prize" for winning is the recognition of your peers, which in the grand scheme of things is far more valuable than whatever cheapass swag the staff could muster with our combined pocket change Laughing

Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:05 am  

Reposted from the front page, for those who bypass it to head straight to the forum:

The Canonfire Crier wrote:

Canonfire's June 2005 postfest reminder.
    The Killer Kobolds have informed us that the submission deadline for June's postfest, Guilds, Societies, Knighthoods and other Orders is rapidly approaching. Articles should be submitted by midnight Pacific Standard Time next Sunday, July 10th. Voting on the entries will then run until Monday, July 18th, with results announced at the Thursday night GREYtalk chat on July 21st.
    Please take a look at this announcement on CF forum for details on how to get involved

So get those entries in folks, and good luck in the voting!

Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:26 am  

chatdemon wrote:
    far more valuable than whatever cheapass swag the staff could muster with our combined pocket change Laughing

Very good point Happy i however find how you choose to word that highly amusing tho . Good job
    Mad Archmage of the Oerth Journal

Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:44 pm  
    Monster Template for PostFest3

I've added a template for those who want to use a quick easy monster page format from the Monster Manual, its pre-formatted for 3.5e but you can change it anyway you like.

Simply open it with a Web page editing program or MS Word and add in the info you like. You can place your story above or below. But at least theres a nice template for anyone who wants one. =)

The template can be found at http://www.greyhawkonline.com/duicarthan/articles/monstertemplate.html
    http://www.oerthjournal.com http://www.greyhawkonline.com/duicarthan
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:18 pm  
    Postfest I - Submission Voting?

I am new to voting for the postfest submissions... how does it work?
    Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:50 am  

I do not see the PF articles posted on the homepage like they normally are, or a specific link to them, yet I hear -some- not all are visible, what gives?
    CF Admin

Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:01 am  
    Postfest Link

mortellan wrote:
    I do not see the PF articles posted on the homepage like they normally are, or a specific link to them, yet I hear -some- not all are visible, what gives?
    Initially, I erroneously posted two Postfest articles on Canonfire!'s main page. They should not have been posted there, and were moved about twelve hours later to abide with the rest of of the Postfest entries.

As of now, you may view all sixteen of the Guilds, Societies, Knighthoods and other Orders entries HERE.

We will have a seperate page and voting instructions posted soon. Please keep checking this thread and the Canonfire! Crier for more details.

Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:25 pm  

16 PF and 80 pages of OJ. It is a good month! Spider Strand and the Bloodshield should be removed from the page.
    CF Admin

Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:55 pm  
    Postfest Part I Voting Begins!

Hello, all.

You may view all of the Postfest entries for Guilds, Knighthoods, Societies and other Orders HERE.

Once you have read the submissions, it's time for you to vote for your favorites. To vote, please send an email to postfest@canonfire.com listing your top five picks. Also, be sure and put "POSTFEST VOTES" in your e-mail's subject line.

Your number one pick will recieve five points, your number two vote will get four points, and so on. When all the votes are in, points will be tallied and the favorite entry of Canonfire's users will be announced.

Votes must be recieved by Monday, July 18. The results will be announced at the Greytalk weekly chat on Thursday, July 21.

Thanks for supporting the postfest, and thanks especially to everyone who worked dilligently to contribute articles.

The Killer Kobolds accept feedback for Postfests at postfest@canonfire.com and they'd love to hear ideas for a topic for the next postfest and other comments. Your input is valuable and will help to develop the site and improve future Postfests.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:05 pm  

The voting method needs to be FAR more accessible than this.

I suggest starting a new thread or editing the first post of this thread to take the person straight to the information. Most people don't or won't read right to the bottom of a thread.

Voting shouldn't require significant effort, as the more effort it takes, the less people who will vote.

On that note, I'd also suggest changing the 'favourite five' requirement of voting. Not everyone wants to, or will, read fifteen articles.

Perhaps you could move to a similar method as EN World uses for the ENnies? Judges (CF staff I guess) choose the best X number of entries, and then you can set up a poll and ask people to vote.

Of course, you'd have to fix the poll mechanism to prevent people like me voting three hundred times for themselves, but...
    In more modern times, only Delglath of Rinloru is known to have crafted any items from the stone of this atrocious place. Even masters of the dark arts such as Xaene and Karoolck would hesitate to follow.
    Mad Archmage of the Oerth Journal

Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:14 am  

I've fixed my Postfest article and edited in the material I had to leave out. Basically the tiers of the organization of the Shadowsages. Sorry I had to leave the brief version at first there for everyone but alas thats the way it goes when half your material is in different places. =/
    The article is here ... http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=645&mode=thread&order=0&thold=-1

As for voting, its been this way a while man. Yeah it'd be nice to change it to another way but really...I don't think that will work well either. I'm just glad to have all this content in one place. =)
    http://www.oerthjournal.com http://www.greyhawkonline.com/duicarthan
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:21 am  

So, who won Round I or, in the alternative, what is going on?

Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:46 pm  

GVDammerung wrote:
    So, who won Round I or, in the alternative, what is going on?

Allow me some time to find out what's up, friendly patrons. I just got back from a week long Living Greyhawk convention. Let me catch up on some things, and we'll get this out in the open.

Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:22 am  

Guys (and gals),

Due to the relatively low number of votes and the jumble for points (almost no article got more than 2 first place votes) this is starting to look like a draw.

No clear winner, perhaps a runoff is in order? But a preferential voting system was supposed to solve that problem! Argh, I need supreme court help...
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:06 am  

As much as I liked getting all the new material to read, the release of the posts of the fest and the OJ at roughly the same time has made thing difficult. I have not finished the OJ and I had to rush through the posts to get my vote in. Everyone and their apprentice has talked about the need for timely publication of the OJ. I fully agree but would suggest keeping the postfest in mind to avoid drought or flood.
    CF Admin

Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:59 pm  
    Cebrion Chosen as Favorite.

Greyhawkers,

Cebrion's Witches of Greyhawk - The Coven was chosen as the favorite article for Part I of this summer's Triple Topic Postfest.

No runner(s) up was announced. The voting was so close, and all of the submissions so good, that is was impractical to denote a favorite beyond Cebrion's. Thanks to all of the particpants for such great work.

You may still view all of the Guilds, Societies, Knighthoods and other Orders entries HERE.

We look forward to your submissions for Greyhawk Holidays and Festivals! The deadline is Sunday, August 7, 2005.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: