Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Canon discussions are REALLY boring!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Canon discussions are REALLY boring!
    Kobold Pinata

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:17 pm  
    Canon discussions are REALLY boring!

Why do GH fans find canon discussion so damned fascinating? Seriously?

I mean, if you're discussing a creative work that is to see professional print, then canon matters. Otherwise, who gives a chatdemon's ****?
    In more modern times, only Delglath of Rinloru is known to have crafted any items from the stone of this atrocious place. Even masters of the dark arts such as Xaene and Karoolck would hesitate to follow.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:41 pm  
    Agree

Well, I for once I have to agree with you Del. In the main, I think that they are not very useful. Boring is not exactly the word I would use. I am amazed at the vigor, anger, angst and bile that rises out of them.

However, I dont think professional publication need to be the standard before they are useful. I have found them an excellent place to ask questions and get specific suggestions for the project I (and others) are working on.

This has resulted in direct content changes, style changes, and format changes that will hopefully make the project more succesful overall. So, I think there should be some purpose, goal, resolution as one approches canon discussion. At least, the goal should not be to prove that everyone else is an idiot. I dont think that is the goal of most as they start out, but after the first few flames, that is generally where it goes.

Until they lock it down at least.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:01 pm  

First off, its hardly unique to Greyhawk fans. You find such discussions in almost every fan community. Relative to other D&D fan groups? Maybe...but if so, its only because of the peculiarities of the GH published material. Some campaign worlds have so little published for them there is nothing to discuss, while others have SO MUCH that there is not much to discuss (though if you dare say something contrary to published canon, you'll get a bazillion "OMG, on pg 132 of "Pointless Bit of CashMilking Supplement" it says the opposite!"). Greyhawk falls in the middle of those extremes. It also has a rather poor track record for consistency even by industry standards.

Secondly, the canon titled discussions currently going on are not, in fact, "canon" arguments. They are effectively a combination of "How can we improve Canonfire" thoughts and discussion of what sort of changes in publication and presentation of materials would be necessary to get more recognition for work of various authors here. The supposed canon discussion is just a smokescreen.

Third (and most important), what difference does it make if folks want to talk about something that doesn't interest you? There are lots of discussion (indeed, entire forums) here that don't interest me. That's no reason why those folks interested in the subjects should stop discussing them, though.
    Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:18 pm  

ZzzzzZzzz whu? canon? oh. carry on.
    CF Admin

Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:38 pm  

Without Canon debates we would have little to talk about.
    Happy
    I think that the problem with Canon debates is that somewhere in the details are hidden the real reasons why we like or play GH. Debates about some minutia is about as exciting as watching water evaporate for those on the sidelines. Sometimes I think we get into the details so much that we forget what makes those details fun in the first place: ADVENTURING! GAMING!
    Keep those first in your mind when debating on the orgins of corn and I think it will help cut down on the pointless debates on points. If you cant make it fun or develop something interesting for gaming out of it I think its really not worth the effort, people are going to differ on certain events. Canon is there as a guide not a straightjacket. Any campaign is going to trample canon in the dirt, but as long as its fun and interesting I see no need to hold up everything to the harshness of canonical statutes.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:38 am  

all Canon and no play makes Duicarthan, something something...
    http://www.oerthjournal.com http://www.greyhawkonline.com/duicarthan
    Kobold Pinata

Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:43 am  

Duicarthan wrote:
    all Canon and no play makes Duicarthan, something something...

A drow mime?
    In more modern times, only Delglath of Rinloru is known to have crafted any items from the stone of this atrocious place. Even masters of the dark arts such as Xaene and Karoolck would hesitate to follow.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:40 am  

Well, come up with an interesting new topic, and that bloated thread about canon can drop off. This board has been slower than molasses in January for the past few weeks. Maybe it's the humidity.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:34 am  

btgrover wrote:
    Well, come up with an interesting new topic, and that bloated thread about canon can drop off. This board has been slower than molasses in January for the past few weeks. Maybe it's the humidity.

What btgrover said. Happy
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: