JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Blood of Ranet
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Blood of Ranet
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:08 pm  
    Blood of Ranet

I don't know if anyone is familiar with the Scarred Lands setting from White Wolf. The premise is that 200 years earlier there was a war between the gods and the Titans (equal parts gods and Great Old Ones) that devastated the land. There are sourcebooks detailing a sea, a swamp, and a forest that were contaminated with Titan blood, making them magnets for evil and mutating the native animals and monsters.

Anyway, on to my point...
    The Bay of Xuxchan, in northern Hepmonaland, is prone to pockets of foul toxic water.
    What if...when Pyremius murdered Ranet, his divine poison infused her body with evil as it killed her. In her death throes, her blood fell onto several small areas of the Flanaess before her body finally came to rest in the Bay/Pearl Sea. Her divine blood and the concentrated evil of Pyremius' poison tainted the areas where it fell.
    The areas certainly wouldn't have to be as large as the Blood Sea, Blood Bayou and Hornsaw Forest in the Scarred Lands, but they might add an interesting flavor to isolated corners of the world. They would definitely be sacred to clerics of Pyremius, tangible evidence of his greatest act of murder. Clerics of deities with ties to Ranet (Wee Jas, Norebo, Joramy)would want to cleanse the areas, and maybe try to recover her remains in hopes of somehow restoring her. (At the very least there might be something on the ocean floor to take to the Astral Plane to reunite with her body there, for Planescape cosmology. Like how Orcus' Wand was needed to restore him in Dead Gods.)
    Thoughts? Opinions?
    CF Admin

Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:52 pm  

Great ideas Armitage!

While I've not admitted that Ranet was killed (see below), nevertheless these ideas (the Oerth-tainting and the location) are great.

See the bottom of Rip's post at the Pits of Evil fora, http://greyhawkonline.com/pitsofevil/viewtopic.php?t=5063&sid=48d4e7ae06852af39daff53001547842, for a convincing story about Ranet's survival.
    Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:31 pm  

I am very intrigued by the whole Ranet death and portfolio stealing by Pyremius. Off the top of my head I can't think of another case of divine portfolio THEFT in greyhawk. It is definitely a Forgotten Realms mainstay. Ranet is also a rarity in that GH doesn't have many 'dead gods', plenty of sleeping-trapped gods yes but not outright killed. So why is Ranet vulnerable? I guess if a mortal like Zagyg can trap multiple deities then a god can kill another. All very thought provoking.
    GreySage

Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:30 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    GH doesn't have many 'dead gods'

Simply because Greyhawk's pantheons aren't terribly detailed. As more information is created about the gods, ancient divine wars and sacred body counts are a necessity, I think.

For example, Nerull is god of murder - he must have killed another god at some point, or he wouldn't be a very competent murder god. If his mother is Beory, who is his father?

The Oeridians seem a warlike bunch - I can't believe that Hextor, Heironeous, and Erythnul have never fought other gods in mass combat. How can they be gods of war if they've never been in one?

Tal Meta's mythos involves an ancient war between the gods and the hosts of Hell, in which it's implied that all the female gnomish gods died.

Could the gods really have bound Tharizdun without the big T causing a single casualty in return? Binding elder gods is dangerous business, and I expect that many died before they finally succeeded in doing so.

What of the many sons of Kord and Llerg? Not all of them are going to be merely half-divine, not with their fathers' prodigious appetites. That goes for all the gods prone to having children. The known gods are a tiny fraction of the ones that must exist.

There are probably dozens, if not hundreds, of gods that were once active on Oerth but were killed in action - previous generations, the generations that preceded them, prodigal children and more.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: