ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - I Need Suggestions for Furyondy Heraldry
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    I Need Suggestions for Furyondy Heraldry
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:20 pm  
    I Need Suggestions for Furyondy Heraldry

Hello all.

For a while now I have been working on creating heraldry for the provnces of Furyondy.

I have finished them all except for the County of Crystalreach.
    I've been having a bit of a problem with Crystalreach due to the lack of information regarding this area pre-GH Wars. What is their industry? What is the province known for? All of this information must be pre-GH Wars. "The Marklands" has not been of much help in this regard.

Barring any other information I may just go with a form of "canting arms", which plays on the words of a name or a similar sound. For the County of Crystalreach this might be something like an arm holding a gemstone or crystal rod; or elements of the heraldry might simply include a gemstone or arm.

Give me your ideas and opinions on this and hopefuylly it will lead to some sort of inspriration, or somebody might just have a really good idea!

Heraldic devices and colors usually have a meaning of some kind, so explain your ideas regarding your choices. No lengthy dissertation, just a simple explanation. For example, the antlers on the various Knights of the Hart orders' heraldry are all gold so symbolize purity(as gold does not tarnish), and the various background colors(fields) coincide with where each order is from.

As to Crystalreach, should the heraldic field be solid, striped, quartered, divided, etc., and what colors?

Don't go too wild, as provincial heraldry would be about as simple at state heraldry. Family heraldries are the ones that can get really complicated.

There is no need to use heraldic terms. Some people know them, some don't, and some people think they know them and don't. Just describe your idea simply. Wink

Thanks for any suggestions.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:50 am  
    Re: I Need Suggestions for Furyondy Heraldry

Cebrion wrote:
    some people think they know them and don't.

As a heraldic dabbler, I resemble that remark. :)

Going with you canting suggestion - how about a couped gold arm holding a sword point up set between three white goblets (top left, top right and in base) on a blue field?

Crystalreach, by its name, sounds like it might have been a frontier province once - and has recently been in the Wars again (if you'll excuse the pun). Hence the arm and blade. The goblets are the crystal part of the canting, while the blue field symbolises the Crystal River. You could make some local legend about the local lord offering Thrommel I three cups of hospitality after a battle against the forces of the Great Kingdom?

P.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:42 pm  

Good suggestions Woesinger. I like the idea, and it is a bit different than anything else that I've done so far.

At least I got one response. :)

Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:41 pm  

Here goes my 2 pesos :-)

A green field with a blue stripe (representing the Crystal river) from top left to low right. At mid level a silver arm shaking hands with a golden arm and holding a red crystal rod.

The golden arm are the nobles of the county reaching out to the nobles of the rest of the kingdom (the silver arm) as a symbol of unity. The red crystal represent the Red Stone mines.

Saludos,
    Gabriel

Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:29 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    At least I got one response. :)

Well - I've developed a bit of a fondness for heraldry of late (a combination of exposure to GRR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire and a short lived Pendragon game). If I ever get the time, I need to work up the designs I have on paper for the arms of the Aerdi Celestial Houses and the Ahlissan Principalities.

P.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:46 pm  

Personally, I say keep it as simple as possible...

How about a two color shield diagonal:
    Green field upper left (red gemstone)
    Blue field lower right (silver fist)

Green diagonial half: For the land with the red gemstone for the red stones mined in the province.
    Blue diagonial half: For the rivers with the silver fist, frontier past and heironeous martial faith.

Hope I explained it well enough Embarassed
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:00 pm  

Thanks for the input. I'll take these ideas into consideration(ie. throw them into the giant mixing pot of ideas). Wink

I almost have it figured out now. Soon it will be finsished.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: