JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Codex of Erde
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Codex of Erde
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:39 pm  
    Codex of Erde

As some of you are aware, I am working on a “map” of all of Oerth’s parallel worlds and definable interconnections between the parallels. In this way, I set about reading the Codex of Erde over the weekend.

That no one part with their hard earned dollars needlessly, please allow me to opine that the Codex of Erde is, IMO, the single worst fantasy setting I have ever encountered. Its chief drawback, among a number, is its utter lack of respect for its reader’s intelligence. It is “fantasy” at perhaps its lowest ebb, a mishmash of historical names set down helter-skelter amidst the laughably defined and atrociously mapped geography with no rhyme nor reason, developed in trite detail and set against an elementary background and laugh out loud gods and godlings.

Perhaps, this sort of conglomeration passes for a fantasy setting in <EDIT>(home of Troll Lords, the publishers of the Codex of Erde), where readers may yet not be acquainted with either actual history or descent fantasy literature. Any well read audience will, however, find the Codex of Erde nothing short of appallingly bad or, charitably, trite.

The Codex of Erde reads like D&D written by Larry the Cable Guy.

I have in mind Erde as something of a sump in the Oerthly multiverse, an “underverse,” if you will.

EDITED BY DETHAND 21-09-05 03:46

Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:11 pm  

I am unfamiliar with this Erde and its connection to GH. Is this the literary source of the Aerth/Oerth/Earth/etc variants I've heard about in chats? And to map it would make sense of the badness you speak? Or do you just like to torture yourself? ;)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:47 am  

Well, I believe that this is the setting that contains The Lost City of Gaxmoor.
    A product with such fine design elements as EL 4 and 5 wilderness encounters for 1st-level characters, a CR 20 final opponent for 10th-level characters, and a fountain in the middle of a town square that randomly spews acid and poison for no particular reason.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:44 am  

mortellan wrote:
    I am unfamiliar with this Erde and its connection to GH. Is this the literary source of the Aerth/Oerth/Earth/etc variants I've heard about in chats? And to map it would make sense of the badness you speak? Or do you just like to torture yourself? ;)

Erde is a creation of Troll Lords, with a nod and assist from EGG (he is not listed as a primary author, but contributed some material). In some ways, it serves as a "standin" for Oerth for EGG since he cannot set material in the genuine article.

Erde is not the source of Aerth/Oerth/Yarth/Urth/Earth, the primary GH multiplanar axis. That was set out by EGG well before Troll Lords and Erde existed.

The Aerth/Oerth/Yarth/Urth/Earth axis was first spelled out in Polyhedron 21 and the Gord books, to be later embelleshed in a variety of sources.

Erde has some minor "connections" to Oerth, chiefly through "borrowings" from Oerth by the creators of Erde. These might be dismissed but for EGG giving something of an imprimatur to the setting, particularly by way of setting GH pastiches in Erde. EGG's sons and RJK have also lent their talents to Troll Lords and Erde. Now, the parallels or conections become sufficiently noteworthy that, IMO, they cannot be ignored.

Armitage wrote:
    Well, I believe that this is the setting that contains The Lost City of Gaxmoor. A product with such fine design elements as EL 4 and 5 wilderness encounters for 1st-level characters, a CR 20 final opponent for 10th-level characters, and a fountain in the middle of a town square that randomly spews acid and poison for no particular reason.

Yes. Gaxmoor is set in Erde but may also be otherwise placed. The city phases in and out of dimensions. Sub rosa, EGG et al have noted that Gaxmoor was intended for Oerth in the region of Bissel/Veluna. I discount such vocalized but not solemnitized in canon pronouncements but then look to find "evidence" or "support" for such in the materials themselves, using the statements of intent as "clues" or a "guide" to investigation aimed as establishing "canon" connections that can be demonstrably "proven" or at least reasonably advanced from the published material.

I share Armitage's opinion that Gaxmoor, as a 3X product, has significant design issues. It is, IMO, better than the Codex of Erde but hardly a model of design. In any system. Putting it kindly.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:19 pm  

As a native of the State of Arkansas, I thought I would let you know that we have access to both credible historical texts and any fantasy literature that one may desire. I wonder if it is ignorance or bigotry that draws you to make such statements.

As for Erde, it certainly feels like a high schooler's homebrew with random geography, history, and myth thrown together. While I am upset that I spent good currency on the book, it is certainly better than "Child's Play" or a host of other schlock printed under the Greyhawk banner.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:22 pm  

I think its the fact that the publisher is in Arkansas that makes him say that, thought it was a typically needless jibe on GVD's part.

There has certainly been a lot of crap published under the GH label. Some so bad that current GH publishers openly deride them.
    CF Admin

Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:03 am  

Hey Folks.

Just dropped in for a bit to remind everyone that regardless of your veiw of a paticular product, no matter how badly written it might be (in your humble or not so humble opinion), dont make comparisons to real world people. Its one thing to have an opinion, its another to make your point at anothers expense.

Fair Enough?

Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:23 am  

Sigh. Okay. I apologize profusely to Larry the Cable guy. http://www.larrythecableguy.com/

Otherwise - http://www.blogthings.com/arkansas.html

Otherwise - http://www.surfminnesota.net/mncitizenship.html

Humorless Verboboncers.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:48 pm  

Ouch! That last link hit a little too close to home.

--Erik
    Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:11 pm  

Humorless Verboboncers?

LG Verbobonc is Illinois and Indiana regions. And as a 'verboboncer' I take offense since I have quite a humorous reputation thank you! I think the area you were looking for is Yeomanry. Those humorless Yeomen! sheesh... Laughing
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:36 am  

mortellan wrote:
    Humorless Verboboncers?

LG Verbobonc is Illinois and Indiana regions. And as a 'verboboncer' I take offense since I have quite a humorous reputation thank you! I think the area you were looking for is Yeomanry. Those humorless Yeomen! sheesh... Laughing

Laughing

IMC, folk from Verbobonc, the fictional locale Cool , are known for being sharp dealers, dour, miserly and generally lacking in the humor department, which is odd as anyone from a place called "Verbobonc" would seem likely to have early developed a sense of humor, then again . . . may that explains why they have not. Smile

When CF finishes it upgrade (my last two submissions are not showing up on my list of published articles under my name, but I've asked for help), I intend to submit a piece that describes how, IMC, Verbobonc became famous/infamous for its sharp dealers.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: