Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Name of the Bandit Kingdoms?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Name of the Bandit Kingdoms?
    Novice

Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:29 pm  
    Name of the Bandit Kingdoms?

Hi all,

I was hoping one of you out there could possibly help me with a problem I've run into. What was the name of the kingdom that Iuz invaded and broke up to create the Bandit Kingdoms? I know I've seen it somewhere, but I cannot remember it, and I can't find it.

My character in our Greyhawk game is a fighter who also happens to be a decendant of the royal family from that kingdom. His quest at the moment is to gather enough power and funds to unite the Bandit Kingdoms under his banner, and drive Iuz from the land once and for all.

Thank you all in advance for your help :)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:34 pm  

The Bandit Kingdoms have always been called so. According to the LGG, the previous "formal" name was The Combination of Free Lords. These lands were annexed by Iuz during the Greyhawk Wars, but he has a loose hold on the region. I think his power is concentrated in the major city states (like Rookroost).

To any and all: Was there anything I missed or any errors in my research Question

Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:09 pm  

Yes, the Bandit Kingdoms were always such. They were originally an outlaw area of minor petty nobles and such from the former Great Kingdom that formed their own more or less independent territory banding together to combat any outside threats from Nyrond or the Shield Lands. The territory as a whole was also referred to as the Combination of Free Lords.

There were originally 15 such territories each controlled by a petty tyrant. These were:
    Warfields, run by Guardian General Hok (F11)
    Wormhall, run by Baron Oltaff (F4/Rog9)
    Freehold, run by Master Eab Huldor (W9)
    Kor, run by Rhelt Abbarra (Asn 10) (1e rules)
    Tangles, run by Earl Reynard (Brd8/F6/Rog7) (1e rules)
    Rift, run by Plar Lintoff (Rog13)
    Reyhu, run by Tyrant Celdro (F10)
    Redhand, run by Prince Zeech (Clr5/F8)
    Artonsamay, run by Duke Nebon Gellor (F9)
    Stoink, run by Boss Dhaelhy (F8/Rog5)
    Dimre, run by Szek Winvid (Clr10)
    Johrase, run by King Selnon (F11)
    Midlands, run by Graf Venholtee (Clr3/F7)
    Greenkeep, run by Lord Yanboli (half-elf F5/W5/Rog5)
    Rookroost, run by Plar Teuod Fent (Illusionist 9)
    Fellands, run by Lord Avaerd (F10)
    Groskopf, run by Baron Skiven (F11)

Source: Dragon Magazine, Issue #63
    CF Admin

Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:29 pm  

Nareth, are you thinking about the Rovers of the Barrens -- the Common name for the Arapahi? This "nation" of Flan nomads was broken by the expansion of the Empire of Iuz. Alternatively are you thinking of Tenh?
    Novice

Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:40 am  

Not sure MTG :) I had thought that the Bandit Kingdoms was originally one single kingdom, but am perfectly willing to admit I was most likely wrong :)

I'm pretty sure I'm not thinking of Tenh though. What I may do, is choose one of the fifteen smaller kingdoms that made up the Combination of Free Lords, and have my character come from there.
    CF Admin

Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:35 pm  

Responding to points made by Rhineglade and to Nareth's original question:

The original Free Lords were likely Aerdi nobles or others operating under imperial charters. The largest contemporary cities (Bandit Kingdoms) may well have been founded by Aerdy as part of a northern march.

The character mentioned by Nareth might be descended from one such noble family or even be of the Celestial House of Rax -- long though destroyed when Naelex ascended the throne.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: