JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Future greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Future greyhawk
    Novice

Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:37 pm  
    Future greyhawk

Soo... my first post here :) Sorry if its too long, or in the wrong place.

I didnt found what i wanted useing the search engine. Well where do i start.

Im from brazil, so the greyhawk material i have is very little, only Greyhawk gazetteer, the Return to the TOEE, and lots of .docs. I love the gazetteer :) It has just what i want; i got the forgotten realm book for a few days and i think thats not my style. I dont need so much info about such small places. And the overpoweredness, oh god; i always play-DM with the 25 point buy system and half starting gold :) then all those red mages and green dragons jumping left and right, and healing potions for breakfast, ugh, i dont have good memories of FR.

I used to DM the RttToEE. The campaing lasted for a few months, i even got a web page up for the campaing, with pages for each characters and the journal! But RL stuff disbanded the group, so we roleplayed that they failed to stop the return of the temple.

Now were up to play again. We'll start in january i belive, so that gives me alot of time to work on the campaing. I want to put them on the future, 1450CY or so! I always liked medieval ships and old gunpownder weapons, and now ill make lots of use of them. But its gonna be like.. well age of empires 3, guns are the hot stuff, but you can still do very well with archers, pikes and knights :) . And magic off course.

I changed alot of classes, feats and introduced lots of new stuff; in fact the house-rule .doc has 50 pages! (sure, they wont need to read about something like a new feat or new spell unless they have it; only the new equipment list will be used alot in this file).

Now the hard part, the campaing world. Well i wont try to stay canon or whatever its called, since greyhawk worlds seems to be left to dust (do this quote work in english: :) ). I have LOTS of ideas, but its hard to write about 900 years of story. I want to make it follow the real world timeline only in theory - the medieval dark age would be the rule of Thrarzidum, some king of black plage will kill millions, the 100 years wars will be a long-lasting war between two good nations like furyondy and nyrond - and now its time for the colonialism!

Ive seen an article about the other parts of Oerth, and i remember some very interesting info about the land of the dragon king or whatever. Ill look into it later. I have some ideas for the first adventure, and their prize will be to join an expedition to make contact (and profits) with far-away civilizations.

Ideas, i want ideas! Once i found an article about a future greyhawk campaing, but it was too futuristic. Iuz was killed by a nuke, invisible-silent-quickly-empowered jet fighter made the 'united states of urnst' the strongest military power, etc. Very interesting read, but not useful for me since the author ignored the part of history that would be of any use, the renaisscence (theres a spelling mistake in there).

There are so many nations and kingdoms to unite/destroy, so many new names to create, really, anything you can spit out of your mind will be usefull.

Thanks!
    Master Greytalker

Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:57 pm  

According to Pluffet Smedger, the Elder, magic was already a "lost art" on Oerth before C.Y. 998, so (canon-wise) there would be no magic in C.Y. 1450.
    Novice

Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:46 am  

Ok; now WHY would someone would say something like that about a campaing world...

Still, im not playing canon, so, got any ideas?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:04 pm  

1.) Pholtian Inquistion?

2.) Worshpipers of Kelanen, Hero-god of Swords, Swordsmanship, Balance, forming "dueling" circles. It could even be an outlawed religoin due to the Pholtian Inquisition.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:38 am  

greypanda wrote:
    Ok; now WHY would someone would say something like that about a campaing world...

Still, im not playing canon, so, got any ideas?

Well, then go hog wild with your imagination! Happy

Cruel Summer Lord, who posts here regularly also likes the continuance of magic future (though I'm not sure about the arcana-punk GH that's presented in that article). You might bounce some ideas off him?

Personally, I didn't really like that article and prefer the wistful fading of magic future of GH canon. But that's me...

P.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: