JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Human Sub-Race/Cultural Bonuses
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Human Sub-Race/Cultural Bonuses
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:21 pm  
    Human Sub-Race/Cultural Bonuses

So, I'm finally starting a campaign that I tried to start years ago set in the setting of settings, Greyhawk. I'd picked up the Players Guide to Greyhawk some time back (5 years? Confused ) and can't find the bloody thing. There were bonuses for racial subgroups among humans and I'm wondering about such things. I've posed the question over on the Wizard's boards, but figured I'd ask here as this seems to be a locus of Greyhawk knowledge.

I'm open to the ideas of feats and such for the various races as well as possible ability bonuses based either on racial subtypes or culture (northern barbarians being an odd sort for an Int bonus even though of Suel decent for example).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, and more over have anything already worked up?

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:13 pm  

Ryan,

The Greyhawk players guide that came out in 1998, on page 42 has optional racial ability adjustments for the human sub-races if you don't have a copy of this heres a quick chart

Baklunish +1wis, -1cha
    Flan +1 con, -1 int
    Oeridian +1 dex, -1 wis
    Rhenee +1 str, -2 cha
    Suel +1 int, -1 cha

Hope this helps

William
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:29 pm  

shapecharge wrote:
    Rhenee +1 str, -2 cha

The problem with this is that the Cha penalty was meant to represent the antipathy non-Rhenee feel toward them. I seem to recall that it even mentioned that the penalty wouldn't apply among people who had never heard of the Rhenee, or if they weren't recognized as Rhenee.
    Since Rhenee don't have clerics or wizards, that leaves them with bards and sorcerers in 3rd Edition. The Cha penalty completely buggers them in this case.
    I'd change it to a penalty on all Cha-based skills when dealing with those who traditionally dislike the Rhenee.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:40 pm  

Sorry Ryan,

Armitage is right I should of mentioned that the cha penalities for Rhenee and Suel or towards non-renee and Suel and the int penalty on ordenians is towards bonus spells and other arcane magic use stuff so it would'nt effect skill points. You might want to remember that these optional rules were set up towards 2nd edition not third so cha penalties were'nt as big as deal since socerer and other spell-users did'nt exist or use the cha ability towards magic-use; so you might want to adjust or scrap them all together as Armitage mentions

William
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:41 am  

If you want to make them unique in 3e, I'd recommend regional feats from Dragon 315 and 319. Human (sub-race) is a region for these purposes. I created some other regional feats to round out the mix, let me know if you all want them here.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:56 pm  

Andy, I'd love to see them here. My collection of Dragon issues is woefully short. I have too many hobbies and the Gaming hobby is the red-headed stepchild behind the needs of my House and my Armored Car habit ( I own three Military Armoured Cars at this point). Cool

Shapecharge, that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Starting points by folks thave been breathing this for a while, I've partaken of the Greyhawk world off and on for nearly 2 decades now, but only in small bits here and there. Its still the setting I know most so that's why I'm staying with it.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:18 pm  

Ryan, a little off subject but one of your apc's would'nt happen to be a Czech OT-62B or a Soviet BTR-50 would it.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:10 pm  

shapecharge wrote:
    Ryan, a little off subject but one of your apc's would'nt happen to be a Czech OT-62B or a Soviet BTR-50 would it.

Nope. British Armoured Cars. 1942 Daimler Dingo, 1960 Daimler Ferret, and a restoration project in a 1943 Humber Mk IV Armored Car.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:26 pm  

You might find Chatdemon’s articles here to be useful.

Races of the Flanaess - Mixed Bloodline Humans
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=639

Races of the Flanaess for Classic D&D – Humans
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=638
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:56 pm  

Perfect Wolfsire. Thanks!

Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:19 pm  

Seems to me that Rhenee should get a rank or two in Seamanship (Profession Sailor) and rope use (what about bluff?). Anything else jump out at anyone in terms of feats or skill ranks?

Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:43 am  

Sorry it's taken so long....

Baklunish [General]
    The Baklunish respect for horses is reflected in your horsemanship.
    Region: Baklunish
    Benefit: Animal Handling and Ride are always considered class-skills for you.
    Special: This feat must be selected at 1st level.

Flanlore [General]
    You were raised in the traditions of the Flan, learning of the land and those things in it.
    Region: Flan
    Benefit: Knowledge (Nature) and Wilderness Lore are always considered class skills.

Oeridian Skill [General]
    Region: Oeridian
    Benefit: You gain proficiency with one martial weapon. If already proficient with all martial weapons, you gain proficiency with one exotic weapon or a +1 to hit with one weapon. Also, you gain a +2 to Balance and Tumble checks .
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:45 am  

What about this?

True Suloise [General]
    Magic runs in the blood of those who descend from the ancient Suel Imperium.
    Region: Suloise
    Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus to Spellcraft and Use Magic Device checks, but only if you possess at least 1 rank in the relevant skill. If you are (or ever become) able to cast arcane spells, you can once in your life gain your choice of either a permanent +1 bonus to caster level or a permanent +1 to DC of Saving Throw for a single arcane spell you know. Once the choice is made, it can no more be changed, ever.

...more to come for the Bargefolk...
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:48 am  

I like these, but all the suggested feats listed so far, but I would suggest the following:

If you choose the subgroup, then you automatically take the racial feat for your Human Slot. Also, the True Sueloise seems more powerful than the others. In this instance I would say that hte Sueloise heritage is so evident in your features that the -1 CHR is an ability modifier, not a skill modifier. Effectively, they are not general human, therefore do not have a "Free," racial feat.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:22 pm  

I do not prefer racial ability modifiers for different humans at all as I think it is open to abuse. In my campaign, all humans are the same, excepting that they all speak Common plus their racial or local language. That is it. I like the idea of regional feats, but this doesn't necessarily have to do with racial strains, merely areas of geography.

And if you open the can of worms with humans, then you might as well do it with every other race. Remember, "half-orc" is a very broad term. Pretty much any humanoid can mate with an orc, so you could half orc-goblins, orc-hobgoblins, orc-bugbears, orc-humans- a whole motley collection of mongrel strains to give adjustments to. And you just know that an orc-bugbear is going to be rather more different from an orc-goblin than an Oeridian human is to a Seul human.

And what of the half-elves of different strains? Or why don't Thillonrian barbarians get +1 on cold saves because they live in the snow 24/7 and Paynims get +1 on fire/heat saves because they live in the desert 24/7? Bah!!!

The answer? They are all humans! They are the baseline race, because it is what we(as actual humans) can all identify with. The stat differences for the other races are specifically for them so as to differentiate them from the average human (such as you, the reader). Now, knowing a certian language is very understandable, as might be a certain skill or even a unique geographical feat (as a choice- not a bonus; maybe the character rebelliously didn’t learn their geographical feat). Human racial differences should be a matter of roleplaying and initial language/feat/skill choices in my opinion. Cultural differences are at the heart of the matter, and not any diffencene in stat potential. I also just love the real world stereotypes that intrude into the whole thing.

Confused Where the heck is the "roll eyes" emoticon when you need one.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: