JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Barbarian Dwarven Clans in Verbobonc
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Barbarian Dwarven Clans in Verbobonc
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:35 am  
    Barbarian Dwarven Clans in Verbobonc

What Dwarven Clan in the Verbobonc's part of Lortmil Mountains is appropriate for Dwarf Barbarian? Any official sources?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:18 am  

This isn't an official source but I think it might give you some inspiration. I enjoyed this prestige class that was submitted to Canonfire. Hopefully this helps.

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=472

Smile
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:18 am  

A dwarven Barbarian strikes me as a bit odd for the civilized Dwarves in the Lortmils. So I wouldn't have a tribe of barbarian dwarves living there. But perhaps he's an oddball among his more normal clansmen, perhaps an elite fighter similar to the Battleragers of FR. Or he could be a Mountain Man, living on his own in the Lortmils.

For info on the History and Migrations of the Dwur check out this site and this one and this one.

These sources have built a great history for the Dwur in Greyhawk incorporating the material from The Axe of Dwarvish Lords sourcebook with Greyhawk history. According to them there are only 7 original Dwarven clans:
    Quote:
    One after one, seven kingdoms are founded.

Markad, Son of Durin, First Overking of Mor-Borad, retains the Birthlands once governed by Durin at the junction of the Sulhauts, Hellfurnaces and Crystalmists. He named his kingdom MARKADDIN, KINGDOM OF MARKAD and Durindan becomes his capital city.

Duegan, Son of Durin, leads his people to the north in the Yatils where he founds the kingdom of DAMGARATH, THE LAND OF STONES. His capital is Gartelem (hex O5-88), the Iron City, lost in the heart of the highest mountains.

Toram, Son of Durin, and his followers go in the Southern Hellfurnaces. There he founds Trimdaïr, The Emerald City (out of the Darlene map), capital of the kingdom of the same name.

Maddaïn, Son of Durin, colonize the center and north of the Crystalmists beyond the Jotens. The kingdom of DUMDERIM, THE LAND OF ICES had for capital Stardelem, City of the Thousand Forges (hex V5-126).

Lorduïn, Son of Durin, and his people settle in the Hellfurnaces, just south of Markaddin. There he founds Tergorom, The Fire City (hex I5-147), and names his kingdom HOLGERETH, THE LAVA REALM.

Yamad, Son of Durin, leads his people in the Barrier Peaks and founds the city of Goran (hex R5-105), mythical for its mithril and adamantium mines, pride of the kingdom of YRDEN, THE PEAKCREST.

Hamaïda, Unique Daughter of Durin, guided her followers west in the Sulhauts where she founded the kingdom of BERREN, THE PEACEFUL, whose capital city, Ginkehir, The Flowered Mountain (out of the Darlene map), became famous for her gardens and fountains.

Those seven ancient kingdoms constituted a whole, the Powerful Dwur Empire of Mor-Borad.

One of those clans became the Grey Dwarves or Duergar. Several others scattered and became Hill-Dwarves. So these 7 clans are more like the subraces and much larger than a simple family or guild.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:27 am  

There is a clan of dwarves who used to live in the Temple of All-Consumption (from RtToEE), the Salthearts. They were driven from their caves by the cult around 100-150 years ago. Their queen was Tulian. Being almost wiped out and driven from their homeland might be enough to make once-civilised dwarves into barbarians..

You could use them if you wanted to :)
    -marilor
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:20 am  
    the Dwur history

I have long wanted to learn of the dwarven history in Greyhawk according to canon. Thank you very much Thanael for the links. I have been looking for this material for a long time.
    tulkas
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:30 am  

Well it is not exactly canon what is posted in the links. It's fanmade, by french Greyhawk fans. It does incorporate some official material very well though. Most Greyhawkers are not even aware of it to my knowledge...

Check out the french downloads (3rd link), they have the most detail afaik.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: