ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Gnarley Elf Clans
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Gnarley Elf Clans
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:11 pm  
    Gnarley Elf Clans

Hello All Canoneers,

Please tell me where I can find information on the Gnarley Forest Elf Clans. I recall a website containing that information, but I can't seem to find it. Any info that I can use to flesh out the area (canon or otherwise) will do.

Is it true that elves are not members of the Gnarley Forest Rangers? Why, and where can I find that info?

Thanks in advance.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:24 am  

My DM and I faced the issue of whether or not Elves were in the Gnarley Ranger forces.

I had written a character history of a human orphan boy who was rescued from certain doom by a pair of Elf Gnarley Rangers. My DM wanted to change the elf rangers into human rangers but i sighted in 1983 Guide to Greyhawk that the Gnarley Forest population is made up of 7,000 sylvan elves and 3,000 gnomes and various other humanoids but elves being the most populous.

Also in the 2000 Greyhawk Gazatteer it says that the forest is populated by thousands of woodsmen, elves and gnomes but never says what race makes up the Gnarley Rangers. So my DM was convinced that there likely could be elves in the Gnarley Rangers.

Also to consider is that about 1/4 of the Gnarley Forest is inside the borders of Celene. This also would make sense for a portion of the Gnarley Rangers to of elven blood.

Also, this link to the Verbobonc RPGA website has info about the RPGA version of the Gnarley Rangers but you have to register with their website to get access.

http://verbobonc.net/index.php?categoryid=8&p13_sectionid=8&p13_fileid=66

Hope this helps.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:53 am  

As best I can tell, the Gnarley Rangers as a group were first introduced in the From the Ashes Campaign Book. The relevant quote from that book follows:
    Quote:
    The rangers of the Gnarley are some 200 strong, most of them born woodsmen, with a few half-elves among them.

Given that quote, I would infer that there are no elves among the Gnarley Rangers (at least not as of 585 CY).
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:20 am  

The Player's Guide to Greyhawk has the Gnarley Ranger character kit:

Quote:
    Races: Any human except Rhennee, halfelf. Werebears and swanmays can also be Gnarley Rangers.

So no elves.

There is also a nice picture of the 4 different badges/medaillons that signify the rank in the organization. (Junior, Cadet, Senio and Ranger Knight.)
    Master Greytalker

Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:51 am  

Perhaps the Celene portion of the Gnarley is patrolled by Celene elven units who no doubt have an informal understanding with the rangers given their compatible goals and dangerous terrain. Their is surely some cooperation between the groups, even if it is unofficial, a unspoken border agreement between local patrols.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:27 am  
    Re: Gnarley Elf Clans

Skech wrote:
    Is it true that elves are not members of the Gnarley Forest Rangers? Why, and where can I find that info?

Thanks in advance.

That might a hold over from 1e/2e when elves weren't allowed to be a member of the Ranger "class" if your using 3e then in your campaign I certainly don't see a problem with having elf members of the Gnarley Rangers.

Mike
    Master Greytalker

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:56 pm  

Qstor wrote:
    That might a hold over from 1e/2e when elves weren't allowed to be a member of the Ranger "class" if your using 3e then in your campaign I certainly don't see a problem with having elf members of the Gnarley Rangers.

Mike

Elves could indeed be rangers in both editions of AD&D®.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon May 01, 2006 7:20 pm  

DMPrata wrote:

Not so. AD&D PHB 1980, page 14. Elves are not permitted to be Rangers.

They can be Fightrers (limited to 7th level), Magic Users (limited to 11th level), Theives and Assasins (limited to 10th level).

Earlier on, an Elf was one's class.

Mon May 01, 2006 8:54 pm  

Ryan wrote:
    DMPrata wrote:

Not so. AD&D PHB 1980, page 14. Elves are not permitted to be Rangers.

They can be Fightrers (limited to 7th level), Magic Users (limited to 11th level), Theives and Assasins (limited to 10th level).

Earlier on, an Elf was one's class.

Elves were permitted to become rangers in Unearthed Arcana. Unearthed Arcana is an official AD&D® rule book, which superseded Players Handbook. QED
    GreySage

Tue May 02, 2006 6:33 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    Elves were permitted to become rangers in Unearthed Arcana. Unearthed Arcana is an official AD&D® rule book, which superseded Players Handbook. QED

But Unearthed Arcana was published after the World of Greyhawk boxed set, so Greyhawk wouldn't have used those rules.

Oh, but the Gnarley Rangers weren't in the World of Greyhawk boxed set, were they?

Never mind.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: