ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Spelljammers
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Spelljammers
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:22 pm  
    Spelljammers

Hello all,

I have searched everywhere that I can think of. I would like to know how big the two moons of Oerth are. Greyspace gives them a size category, but it doesn't give me a real number to work with. I do not own Spelljammers. If anybody has that info., please, share it.

Also, since Oerth has seasons, I assume that the plane or disk upon which the sun revolves around Oerth is at an angle (somewhat similar to the Earth and Sun relationship we have). Okay, but what about the moons? Are they on the same plane as the sun (Liga) or do they orbit the equator or a different plane altogether?

I understand someone might be tackling this subject soon. I hope that eclipses (solar and lunar) are covered. Greyhawk does have eclipses, right?

Thanks,
    Skech
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:11 pm  
    Re: Spelljammers

Skech wrote:
    I have searched everywhere that I can think of. I would like to know how big the two moons of Oerth are. Greyspace gives them a size category, but it doesn't give me a real number to work with. I do not own Spelljammers. If anybody has that info., please, share it.

Celene (Kule) is planet size B which is given on page 31 of THE CONCORDANCE OF KNOWN SPACE as being from 10-100 miles across.

Luna (Raenei) is planet size D which is given as 1000-4000 miles across.

Quote:
    Also, since Oerth has seasons, I assume that the plane or disk upon which the sun revolves around Oerth is at an angle (somewhat similar to the Earth and Sun relationship we have). Okay, but what about the moons? Are they on the same plane as the sun (Liga) or do they orbit the equator or a different plane altogether?

From page 6 of GREYSPACE - "Most of the major planets in the Greyspace system orbit in exactly the same plane. The only two exceptions are Ginsel and the Spectre, both of which are inclined a couple of degrees to the ecliptic."

Quote:
    I understand someone might be tackling this subject soon. I hope that eclipses (solar and lunar) are covered. Greyhawk does have eclipses, right?

From the same paragraph as above - "This makes eclipses (in the cases of Kule and Raenei) and occultations and conjunctions (in the cases of the other planets) relatively common occurences."

Further, the LOREBOOK OF THE VOID says of Kule and Raenei that "As they lie within the orbit of the Greyspace sun, Liga, they are the only planets to cause eclipses..."
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:20 am  

Okay, let us see if I have this down correctly.

Using the notes provided above by Smillan_31 and the notes from
    http://www.nirgal.com/games/rpg/greyhawk/tides_math

...along with the asumption that the moons of Oerth "look" about the same size when viewed from Oerth (and that Gary Gygax based their visuals on our on Earth's satellite), then...

Luna is about 3500 miles in diameter (Planet size D - confirmed), then Celene should be about 2200 miles in diameter (not Planet size B, but size C). Luna is 1.6x bigger than Celene... see the above link and the section on "volume".

Earth's moon is 2160 miles in diameter.

Does this seem reasonable? Or have I missed a big clue?

"From SJR6 Greyspace, Celene seems to be between Oerth and Luna, even if it rotates more slowly. This is not physically possible, and would require some magic, whose effect I cannot compute. Moreover, a huge body so near Oerth would cause impossible huge tides. So, I just discarded that old tale." -- NIRGAL.COM

The author of the site above seems to have switched the positions of the two moons. What do you all think of this?
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: