JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Mongoose Book of Epic Monsters
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- EpicHawk
    Mongoose Book of Epic Monsters
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:38 am  
    Mongoose Book of Epic Monsters

If you have not seen it, Moongoose Publishing has released a monster manual (hardback, print) devoted entirely to epic monsters. Most of the monsters therein are culled from other Mongoose products or are OGL.

The book is useful in direct proportion to how much of the content you may already own. If you are a regular purchaser of Mongoose (and to a lesser extent other 3rd Party D&D publishers) products, you may already have most of these monsters. If you pretty much stay with Wotc releases, most of the material in the Epic Monsters book will be new to you.

Either way, there is one large drawback to this book. Not all of the monsters are illustrated. I'd say only about half are actually illustrated. For me, this is an issue, as I get an idea about a monster as much from its picture as from its description or stats. YMMV.

I think this is definitely worth a look.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:24 am  

Are the monsters just reprints of the old ones, or are they reworked
    to include epic feats, and maybe more balanced, etc?

I have not seen a copy - I have been looking for it. I just want to know if it adds anything if I already have Tome of Horrors, Legends of Avadnu, and the Immortals Handbook (all great sources BTW).

ROB
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:22 pm  

rob_douglas wrote:
    Are the monsters just reprints of the old ones, or are they reworked
    to include epic feats, and maybe more balanced, etc?

I have not seen a copy - I have been looking for it. I just want to know if it adds anything if I already have Tome of Horrors, Legends of Avadnu, and the Immortals Handbook (all great sources BTW).

ROB

As far as I could tell, it is just reprints of the old ones. It will not add to the information you already have in other sources that are included in the book. Unfortunately.

Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:53 pm  

For what its worth the information on monsters and the Epic feats is updated with all the 3.5e 'errata' included, so that might make it worth your while if you use any of the updates.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: