ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - 6 Years of Living Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    6 Years of Living Greyhawk
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:17 pm  
    6 Years of Living Greyhawk

Year 5 is soon to be retired...
    Just curious to know how many people have been around from the begining? How do you feel about your region? Is it still going strong or does it more feel like part 6 in a series of bad horror flicks? Just wondering if people still enjoy the game and the scenerios now as much as they did way back when everything was fresh and new...
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:06 am  

As I have posted before I was at GenCon 2000 for the launch of LG and I still have my original PC, Keevan, albeit not in his original configuration after two campaign rebuilds.

Right now I am on sabbatical from LG and the RPGA in general. Quite frankly, I burned out on the paperwork and rules. I have a 3" D-ring binder with the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, LG Deities, D&D FAQ, and Errata that just is too much.

As for the adventures I felt I was kind of in a rut. There were few that surprised me. My Wizard PC did his battlefield control thing, my Master of Many "Broken" Forms destroyed the plots of modules about 1 out of 3 times, my new PC, a cleric of Vathris, for the Blight on the Bright mini campaign really doesn't excite me right now and the adventures frankly sucked.

The Duchy of Urnst (my home region) finally has a coherent plot but has been having problems getting mods out on time this year. The "Karl takes some time off from being Duke and while the ranger is away the pretenders will play" theme just isn't exciting for me... shrug.

Right now I am playing once a month in a Forgotten Realms campaign run by a friend and I am getting ready to run the Shackled City Adventure Path book o' doom (set in Greyhawk) for the same group. That is where my passion in gaming is aimed right now.

Maybe I will return to the RPGA and LG later but I need a break after 5 years of judging and playing.

Bryan Blumklotz
    AKA Saracenus
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:27 am  

Welcome to both of y'all if no one else has said it.

Thanks for your comments Saracenus. I've lately been considering getting involved in LG and live in the Duchy also, so they were particularly interesting to me.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:00 am  

I have been involved from the end of Y3 and managed to play most of Y2 scenarios.

I have nothing to complain about Onnwal where I played until this spring. Currently I am a Triad member for Principality of Naerie which was once a County of Idee.

Idee might have been pretty run-of-the-mill kingdom but I think it's current role as southern part of Ahlissa as well as being pretty much closest place to the lands of Shar offers great potential.

Our local players seem to like it here as we have pretty shades-of-grey kind of material. We even allow our players to be old Scarlet Brotherhood soldiers and we have lots of conflict between LN authorities and CG/CN rebels.

I like LG. The only problem I can see with my continued enjoyment is all the new rules WOTC puts out and most likely excepts LG to use. If stuff like Warlocks and other brokendness gets introduced, I might not like to continue organising games anymore.

As far as adventures go, I don't have much to complain. Sure, there are some unfortunate design restrictions in regards to amount of encounters the modules can have but the problem has been acknowledged and will probably be worked on soon.

Only really few modules have been "Awful" category. At minimum they entertain me and I do not regret playing them. Then there are modules which rise above the standard and even above "official" adventures such as those put out by Dungeon magazine. These include such gems such as "Atonement", "Crossfire" or "Dust" series.

Cheers.

Sampo Haarlaa
    Naerie Triad
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:09 pm  

Ive read quite a few LG adventures, and I have to say that the ones from the european regions (well the ones that are still around) seem to be of a much higher quality and standard. Im guessing that a lot of that might have to do with having a smaller player base or something...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:51 am  

Phantasm72 wrote:
    Ive read quite a few LG adventures, and I have to say that the ones from the european regions (well the ones that are still around) seem to be of a much higher quality and standard. Im guessing that a lot of that might have to do with having a smaller player base or something...

Technically they are all still around. Sea Barons (Italy) & Lordship of the Isles (Spain) just don't seem to have much, if any activity.

Those European regions which are active do not tend to get all possible (8) modules out per year due to trouble getting authors and because the amount of volunteers who do work for Triads is less than in some US regions.

But I quess high quality matters more than quantity.

Sampo Haarlaa
    Naerie Triad
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:39 am  
    Re: 6 Years of Living Greyhawk

Phantasm72 wrote:
    Year 5 is soon to be retired...
    Just curious to know how many people have been around from the begining? How do you feel about your region? Is it still going strong or does it more feel like part 6 in a series of bad horror flicks? Just wondering if people still enjoy the game and the scenerios now as much as they did way back when everything was fresh and new...

I still love it. LG took me out of a situation where I had played six hours of D&D in ten years and into one where I can play interesting mods with people I like about once a fortnight. My region has an ingenious plot-line which I am still trying to unravel, and it orchestrated a terrific season finale cataclysm last year.

If anything, LG has improved since its early days. The campaign leadership has been exemplary in taking on board corrections and improving aspects which were less than satisfactory early on - no more snorkelling hydras with auto-surprise, vel sim - without just caving in to the Whinge Brigade. In my view, it is a considerable success, and should be praised as such.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:28 am  

At the risk of sounding naieve, how the hell do you get the opportunity to read foreign LG adventures? Happy I'd love the opportuntiy to read some LG stuff not from my region, but I'm at a loss for how to go about doing that.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:22 pm  

Overslave wrote:
    At the risk of sounding naieve, how the hell do you get the opportunity to read foreign LG adventures? Happy I'd love the opportuntiy to read some LG stuff not from my region, but I'm at a loss for how to go about doing that.

The best bet would be to ask module authors personally. Some regions also have summaries of retired modules like our region: http://www.thesplinteredsun.info/naerie/retiredscenarios.doc

Granted there is not much there but when new year comes I can put all Y5:s to it.

Sampo Haarlaa
    Naerie Triad
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:11 am  

Also on some of the region websites the intro modules are made public for anyone to download (Shieldlands is one of them). Plus most of the Ratik adventures were posted on the old website once the region was retired (though Im not sure if they are still around now that Ratik has been revived...). Theres quite a few out there if you look hard enough. I believe the collectors corner forum had a few posts on where to find them too
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: