Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Help Bring Back the old D&D
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    Help Bring Back the old D&D
    Novice

Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:57 pm  
    Help Bring Back the old D&D

Help bring back Basic, Expert, Advanced D&D 1 & 2 EDs

Please register at Wizards of the Cost Forms and sign a petition I started to bring back the old rules.
    The more posts – the less and less they will be able to ignore it.

It is located in the Out of Print section of the forums:

Quick link: http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=769877

Every post helps.

also if you could pos this on any forum you see fit. help spread the word - need hundreds of posts.

TY.

PS: I'm runnging a campain in the original Grewhawk now!
    will check out this site. Exclamation
    CF Admin

Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:45 pm  

Thanks exorb, I posted this over on Knights & Knaves.

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:26 am  

I run the Old Lore forum section here on Canonfire, the section for Basic, Expert, etc D&D. You're invited to stop in and check things out.

I saw the "petition" you mention, but honestly, I didn't bother signing it. Why? I just see such things as futile, to be totally honest. A few dozen, even a couple hundred, posts on a forum are nothing to Hasbro. D&D 3e sells millions of copies (of the phb at least). To get their attention in a meaningful way, you'd need at least tens of thousands of potential customers rallying for the rerelease. But even then, they would likely decide that they don't want to split their market and ignore the niche market in favor of the mass market.

The real hope for keeping Classic D&D alive is places like my forum section here, communities like the Grognard's Tavern and Dragonsfoot, and various websites that keep the old editions alive. There's also the Basic Fantasy Roleplaying Game out there, a commendable project that takes the foundations of the d20 system and tweaks them to recreate Classic D&D as closely as possible.

It's really very, very unlikely that WotC will rerelease Classic D&D at any time in the foreseeable future, and IMO it's counterproductive to the people and communities that are keeping the older editions alive to ignore those efforts and rally behind lost cause petitions. It's nothing personal, I wholly understand the desire to see old school D&D back in print, I just don't think it's realistic.

Besides, you can purchase pdfs of the old material at rpgnow or paizo.com Unlike the newer material, the old school sets aren't hundreds and hundreds of pages, and have printer friendly black and white layout and art, they print up nicely and fit in a binder.
    GreySage

Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:53 am  

chatdemon wrote:
    I saw the "petition" you mention, but honestly, I didn't bother signing it. Why? I just see such things as futile, to be totally honest. A few dozen, even a couple hundred, posts on a forum are nothing to Hasbro. D&D 3e sells millions of copies (of the phb at least). To get their attention in a meaningful way, you'd need at least tens of thousands of potential customers rallying for the rerelease. But even then, they would likely decide that they don't want to split their market and ignore the niche market in favor of the mass market.

The real hope for keeping Classic D&D alive is places like my forum section here, communities like the Grognard's Tavern and Dragonsfoot, and various websites that keep the old editions alive. There's also the Basic Fantasy Roleplaying Game out there, a commendable project that takes the foundations of the d20 system and tweaks them to recreate Classic D&D as closely as possible.

I have to agree. Though I don't think that Hasbro makes millions with "World of Greyhawk," per se. Sad

But "Dragonlance" and "Forgotten Realms" seem to be doing extremely well, financially. And Hasbro has "positioned" the DMG in such a way that its "rules" apply to all games. Sad

Personally, I'm only interested in Greyhwak. Dragonlance "killed," magic, something I hate. Mad And Faerun is magic Supercharged! Too much of a good thing. Shocked Yep, too much.

But, in any event, Hasbro is not interested in our opinions, only in what makes money. Shocked

Welcome to the real world. Wink

Just my thoughts. Happy

Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:10 pm  

I guess this didnt work? :(

-Havard

Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:42 pm  

Nope. Hasbro is simply too "powerful" to be influenced by anyone here. Sad

Dark Herald is now trying to do something in a different thread.

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=43118#43118

If you wish to join in the discussion. Wink

Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:52 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Nope. Hasbro is simply too "powerful" to be influenced by anyone here. Sad

Dark Herald is now trying to do something in a different thread.

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=43118#43118

If you wish to join in the discussion. Wink

Hail Iuz! errr, Hasbro, greater god of evil money grubbers everywhere! Evil Grin

Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:15 pm  

I think Chatdemon describes many peoples feelings when petitioning for things fans of the older settings want. While I believe its true that Hasbro will not change their stance on reverting to any previous edition rules set.

Right now the best is supporting those who continue to light the flames of the rules setting you prefer. So even though I tend to avoid the site I will register and sign your petition. Because if I expect someone to take my advice or the advice of someone well versed in keeping old lore D&D running than I should show my support as well.

With that said I like the skill rules for 3.5E but my favorite setting was 2E as Sargent was one of my favorite authors. This is in no way any disrespect for our Lord in gaming Gary Gygax. I liked how Sargent got the World of Greyhawk to move forward.

So barring any calamity with registering one again on the site you will have me added to your petition exorb.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:01 pm  

I think WotC getting as far away from my game as they possibly can is great news at this point. I can still enjoy a game of their own 'D&D' here and there, but ultimately, when it comes to the vintage versions of the game, I hope Hazbro of the Corp keeps on doing what they're doing right now.

We have the OGL, clones of the games like Swords & Wizardry and OSRIC, and it's up to us from there to keep the games we love alive.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:09 pm  

I agree with statement and would hazard to say that they stay away from Greyhawk as well. I used to love the Forgotten Realms but what they did to that in 4e is just SAD!! Spellplague... rolleyes

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:49 am  

Obviously some people find the changes awesome and all but me... well, let's just say that's not the type of "D&D" I want to play. I'm quite content with my World of Greyhawk boxed set and taking it from there for a first edition game loaded with danger, loot and adventure!

Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:07 pm  

Having also come across Joe Bloch's Adventures Dark and Deep I have to say that Hasbro is of no concern to me now. With this, and many other high quality retro style games I have rarely felt so positive about the future of the original style of D&D.

Hats off to all those whose efforts are both keeping it alive and inspiring more people to participate.
    Paladin

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:52 pm  
    Ye Good Ole Days

I've been away from the game during these "dark times" and like so many, I disliked where the late TSR and WOC have taken the game and this (and real world events hehe) are why I departed.
    I didnt realize, until at the request of my former PCs to rebirth the game, that a forum such as this even existed.
    As others have already voiced, WOC and Hazbro are less concerned with maintaining a fan base than attracting new victims.
    Well, enough of that ( sorry my Dark Side taking over hehe)
    What brings me here is how to rebirth "MY" Greyhawk into a world that no longer supports the 2nd addition rules. I'm not a cynic, I do see some good things in their "reboot", ie issuing stat cards with the figures. So in short not sure how to incorporate the 3.5 or 4 platform in my re-boot. or if I should even attempt?
    GreySage

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:13 pm  

Welcome Dark Lord Galen!

Allow me to say that you should have used this opportunity to start you're own introductory thread. Be that as it may, we're glad that you 'found' Canonfire!

We look forward to your participation and contributions to the site. We're always looking for people to add their thoughts and opinions to our discussions here, as well as their own special contributions, such as stories, modules and character/monster creations.

So please look around a dive into the discussion taking place on our various threads.

And don't forget to browse the Greyhawk Wiki located on our front page in the left hand corner. Thanks to our members Rasgon and Robbastard -- as well as other contributors -- tons of Greyhawk information can be found there.

And again, Welcome to Canonfire!

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:13 pm  

had to bump this thread. From what i read on this site they have already reprinted the 1e (Yay!) and are gonna reprint 2e. On the topic of 2e the revised books that steve winter foreworded in 1995 are freakin unreal well organized.
    Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:29 pm  

Good call!

Not only are they bringing back 2e reprints, I hear they are going to do a hardback of the "S" and "A" series of modules. Greyhawk itself cannot be far behind.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:39 pm  

My feeling about all this re-release of previous stuff is that WotC is trying to bring back all their various fan-bases who "left" them successively (meaning : not buying new stuff anymmore) due to the various editions and now the strong competition of Paizo.

I think they lost especially lot of people with 4E. Not because this edition is bad in itself (I don't want to start an edition war here ; I'm playing 4E presently, mind you, and it's fun), but it broke a lot with previous "habits of playing", if I can say so. My impression is that 4e is more different from all the previous editions than these are between themselves. And unfortunately for WotC, when 4E came, Pathfinder was there... and could very well accomodate the fans of 3/3.5E. Now it's Paizo which is doing all the money with them, especially through its many Adventure Pathes. I think WotC did not realize how much 3E and 3.5E were popular, also due to the broad D20 movement it generated.

So I think that this re-release of their old stuff is to bring back their scattered fan base. From what I understood, with their new project "D&D Next" they want to somehow "reunite" all the editions. I don't know if this will succeed, but they explicitely stated they want to present a version of D&D in which all editions could be somehow "compatible". Don't know how they'll do that (and I don't follow the evolution of the project), but it's an intersting prospect, IMHO.

My 2 cents is that the two moves are not coincidental. Happy

Skord of Skule
    Paladin

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:48 am  

Skord_of_Skule wrote:
    My feeling about all this re-release of previous stuff is that WotC is trying to bring back all their various fan-bases who "left" them successively (meaning : not buying new stuff anymmore) due to the various editions and now the strong competition of Paizo.

My 2 cents is that the two moves are not coincidental. Happy

Skord of Skule

I think Skord is spot on.... and I would add that the fans are not the one who "left" it was WOC who left the fans.....leaving them no choice but to move on best they could where they can... Canonfire is one testimony of that.....IMO
    WOC, for various reasons not to debate here, chose to change their business model back then, and are now trying to reverse that choice with minimal cost impact by regurgitation of published works they already control. Don't get me wrong, its a boon win win for both... those that are faithful to the origins getting a "clean" copy (of which Im a happy owner), and WOC has considerably less rework to bring those elements to us and there is most certainly a net profit vs base cost per unit that WOC is factoring into the endeavor.
    Its certain that their long turn hope is that those "fans" return. and D&D next (aka 5e) unites all.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:04 pm  
    DragonLance Magic

Mystic-Scholar, I thought magic returned to the DragonLance setting.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: