JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Revised Druid Spell List
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop
    Revised Druid Spell List
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:18 am  
    Revised Druid Spell List

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=842&mode=&order=0&thold=0

While I don't necessarily agree with all of the specific choices made in this article, I definitely like the thought behind it. You may want to look at the deity-specific spells I've designated in the Deitybase for your follow-up article (or you may not, if you want to avoid cross-pollination).
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:59 pm  

I really like the explanaitons in this article, and would consider using it in my next campaign. I too found it interesting that, in 2nd Ed, there were lots of OBVIOUS druid spells that weren't druid spells. Good work!
    Master Greytalker

Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:55 pm  
    Re: Revised Druid Spell List

DMPrata wrote:
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=842&mode=&order=0&thold=0

While I don't necessarily agree with all of the specific choices made in this article, I definitely like the thought behind it. You may want to look at the deity-specific spells I've designated in the Deitybase for your follow-up article (or you may not, if you want to avoid cross-pollination).

I have looked at some of them, and was planning on reading the others. Unfortunately, RL events have stagnated this but it is something I plan on continuing at some point. I was actually suprised to see it up, it was submitted so long ago I forgot it was pending!
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Master Greytalker

Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:00 pm  

SUPrUNown wrote:
    I really like the explanaitons in this article, and would consider using it in my next campaign. I too found it interesting that, in 2nd Ed, there were lots of OBVIOUS druid spells that weren't druid spells. Good work!

Thanks! Yeah, that was actually suprising to me as I did the research, since I have only had druid PC's when I ran 1st edition, and haven't DM'd one in 2nd edition.

I currently run a 1st-2nd hybrid, so I am working out lots of such compromises: see, for example, my article on bow specialization.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:35 pm  

The list is very good, though I think the destruction spell is not in keeping with the methodology of druids. While slay living leaves a corpse that will continue the decay and give back to the ground some of what it has taken, destruction leaves only dust. This seems a bit out of the realm of nature, so I do not see it fitting into the druid list all that well. No animal or plant is nourished by the remains, as there are none. One might reason that nature is about the circle of life and death, irrespective of the cause and effect, but any deity has power over this. All things can cause death, so the method of it is not specifically an issue. What is important is how druids interact with the natural cycle, which is by not disrupting or altering it overly much, if at all. A fleshy body instantaneously reduced to dust breaks the normal cycle of things.

I quite liked this article, and it sure did take me back to my 2e days when I went through the Tome of Magic, the Player's Options book(s), the various Class Handbooks, and multiple campaign sourcebooks with the aim of putting together a comprehensive list of spells that I would allow druids to use in my campaign. Anybody who has done this can really appreciate the effort that went into this article. The explanations for assigned levels is very good, as it gives insight into the method to your madness. Smile

Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:56 am  

There's an article in an old issue of Dragon magazine that does something very similar but in another way. It reorders some of the divine spells into the different spheres and alters some of the sphere allocations of druids drawing some inspiration from 1E sources. It also adjusted a spell level or two. I used it when I was stillplaying 2E.

Dragon #205, p.27
    "Getting Back to Nature"
    Druid spells revised

Last edited by Thanael on Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:21 pm  

Thanael wrote:
    There's an article in an old issue of Dragon magazine that does something very similar but in another way.

Sad I am not suprised, as the problems with 2E were obvious once I looked at them, but I guess I am a bit chagrinned. Thanks for the heads-up.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: